Help: Laptop Access Point!

Yes, I shared the internet-connection on the LAN-connection.

Give the Wii a static ip and set the dns and then try that too perhaps

I had issues connecting until i did all that, and set the channel to 11, and then removed all security, which you have already done.

Do you have any other wireless devices that can connect to the laptop at all ?

Hey Cjs.

1. I have set the static IP and dns.

2. Channel: tried both 1 and 11, nothing worked.

3. Tried both with and without security

4. No wireless devices at all connected to the laptop

5. Tried to connect 4 different laptop to my laptop, and it worked great - they could all browse.

Btw where can I see on my laptop that the SSID isnt in shadow mode (hidden) ?

Well that is very odd indeed.

Do you have another AP that you can test the wii on at all ?

Im sure you have mentioned, but headache is killing me atm hehe, have you set it to B/G or mixed ?

I know i initially had issues when it was G/Mixed and once i set it to B it was ok.

This is quite interesting and confusing hehe, but the Wii is tricky at times i have found

hehe well - the wireless network is set to both actually - like the Wii demands it to be. :)

Starting to give up on the whole, wanna-build-my-own-AP-from-my-laptop-thing....

As a network guy, I highly suggest you don't broadcast the SSID. Manually configure the SSID on your Wii. If you don't want to buy a home router/firewall (which I suggest you do), then you'll be better off manually configuring the Wii's IP, Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS.

I do however ALWAYS suggest spending the 20-50us to buy a Wired/Wireless home router/firewall. I prefer Linksys units or Dlinks. They're easy to configure for secure access. That way only the wireless devices YOU CHOOSE will have access. No chance of someone piggybacking on your service.

If you go that route, let me know. I have a word doc with pictures I give to my clients/students when they want step-by-step directions for securing their wireless router. Adding info for the Wii will be a piece of cake.

Schneideren said:
hehe well - the wireless network is set to both actually - like the Wii demands it to be. :)

Starting to give up on the whole, wanna-build-my-own-AP-from-my-laptop-thing....

Actually the Wii doesnt demand it to be both :D

Mine works nicely on G and G only :)

strommsarnac said:
As a network guy, I highly suggest you don't broadcast the SSID. Manually configure the SSID on your Wii. If you don't want to buy a home router/firewall (which I suggest you do), then you'll be better off manually configuring the Wii's IP, Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS.

I do however ALWAYS suggest spending the 20-50us to buy a Wired/Wireless home router/firewall. I prefer Linksys units or Dlinks. They're easy to configure for secure access. That way only the wireless devices YOU CHOOSE will have access. No chance of someone piggybacking on your service.

If you go that route, let me know. I have a word doc with pictures I give to my clients/students when they want step-by-step directions for securing their wireless router. Adding info for the Wii will be a piece of cake.

I use a linksys WRT54g, quite nice, 63char key WPA encryption and a mac address filter as well so only my laptop and Wii have access :)

Wouldnt mind a copy of your word doc though if i can please

Back