help with wired connection

bradley300

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2007
first, thanks for answering in advance. 2nd, i'm completly illiterate when it comes to computers so please answer in the simplest terms possible. 3rd, i know you guys are tired of these questions, but like i said i'm completly lost and could really use some help

my router (?) (box for the internet, has all the wires connects to the computer and to the wall) is a motorola surf board cable modem sb5101. ( i didnt see this one listed in the other thread). i'm getting the error message50420, LAN adaptor not properly inserted. i have a few questions. first, my router has to inputs, 1 is for a flat wire, looks like a telephone cord connection (ethernet?) the other is a USB (i thought USB looked different, but its labled USB, it loks alot like a bigger version of the connection for the sensor bar)

the ether net cord goes to the computer, and normally the USB port is empty. ( like i said, this looks more like bigger size of the sensor bar plug in on the back of the wii, but its labled USB which i thought was something else, anyway, its lables USB so thats what i'm calling it)

here is what i have tried

i have the LAN adaptor. the issue is it needs the ethernet port to connect to the router, which is going to the computer. i unplugged it from the computer so i could use the LAN adaptor. but i get the 50402 error

i have an extra cable i found that is a flat plug (not sure what to call it, but is the same connector that you would use to plug an ipod into the computer, i thought this was a USB?) its that flat plug on one end and that bigge version of the sensor bar plug on the other. so i didnt need the LAN adaptor to try this, went straight from the wii to the router, and the ethernet cord from the router to the computer is still plugged in. still the same error.

does my router not have enough ethernet ports? do i need the ethernet plugged into the computer to get online with the Wii? or am i just doing something wrong you guys can hlp me with?

Last edited:
i had so much trouble following that post but let me try to help anyways, if i fail to do so sorry to waste your time. let me first post some pics of what USB/Ethernet looks like:
this is a USB plug (disregard the black part, thats a flash drive for storing files, just replace a cord where that parts at)
http://www.keyghost.com/usb keylogger/KeyGhost-USB-512KB-Plugs.jpg
and this is an ethernet cord
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1894042/2/istockphoto_1894042_ethernet_cord.jpg

this is the USB adapter for the Wii, the USB end plugs directly into the Wii.
http://www.nintendo.ru/wifi/wiiconnect/images/PA_76340_002.jpg
take your ethernet cord (sold seperately) and plug it into your LAN adapter, the port shown in the picture. then from there, you need to plug it into your router, the computer doesnt need to be hooked up to the internet for your wii to work. the router just simply needs to be connected to the 'net through a cable wire, the one that screws into your modem, it will go into the wall, or through the floor to the basement, like mine does. from there the wii should recognize that it's hooked up to the internet and it should be self explanitory from there.

if you are still having issues, type in your error code in google and it should help.

good luck, if this isnt what you were looking for i am sorry, hope i helped at least a little.

Last edited:
sorry my post can be hard to follow, but you did answer my questions. ive gone to the nintendo site and the error code says that something is not hooked up properly- could it just be that my router wont work with a wii? i have everything hooked up as you've described

im not really sure. the router shouldnt matter, call nintendo and see if they can have somone walk you through it.

have you restarted your main cable modem. Any time you add a router, you have to reboot the main cable modem.

Is it a wireless router?

Have you went to connection settings on your Wii menu?

Last edited:
Im new at this whole Wii internet thing so how and where do you get that USB Adapter for the Wii?

pharoah said:
have you restarted your main cable modem. Any time you add a router, you have to reboot the main cable modem.

that was it, after the intial reply i got everything hooked up right and it still didnt work, so i entered the eroor code on nintendo's website and it said to re-set. so i unplugged the modem frm the powersource for 20 seconds, plugged it back in and it works great. already got a few new games:cool:

thanks for all the help!

bradley300 said:
that was it, after the intial reply i got everything hooked up right and it still didnt work, so i entered the eroor code on nintendo's website and it said to re-set. so i unplugged the modem frm the powersource for 20 seconds, plugged it back in and it works great. already got a few new games:cool:

thanks for all the help!

No problem bro

Back