how do i hook a Wii and computer into the same internet (Cable) modem

jorden_forward

WiiChat Member
Jun 18, 2007
Newfoundland, Canada
i was just wondering if i can hook a Wii to my cable internet modem that my computer is attached to i thought about geting a T-adapter and running 2 network lines but i dont know if that would work.....i also thought about running a usb line from the modem geting an usb to ethernet adaptor and hooking it up to the Wii that way .......i would like some imput on this if anyone has any tips, sugestions or other options to help me out caus write now im so confused:crazy:

jorden_forward said:
can i "split the usb line" ie. use a T-adapter?
:) It doesnt work that way. 3 options

1. A router will let you share the connection with an "unlimited" number of devices
2. The USB adapter from Nintendo lets you Wii connect through your computer. This option is shitty because the computer must stay on all the time and the software isn't very stable
3. It might be possible to switch the internet connection back and forth between the computer and the Wii by switching the plug back and forth and rebooting your cable modem. You would only be able to use one at a time.

jorden_forward said:
right on thanks.......so anyone know for a 2 (out) port router all the ones i can find is 4 or more
Its okay to leave some ports empty. The number of ports doesn't change the routers function. In fact you can buy a special type of spliter (router/hub) and connect it to the router to make more ports!

If you buy a wireless router you could potentially leave them all empty.

Wireless for sure.

Wired and wireless are often nearly the same price
A wireless router also functions as a wired router

Nintendo has a list of officially supported routers if you want to be absolutely sure it works. Are you brave enough to buy an older used router?

Back