how good is the wii?

codeking

Computer Nerd, not Geek
Nov 16, 2006
all of you are probably wondering how good the wii is and "729MHz CPU" makes no sense to you. i'll explain it in so you don't have to become a programmer to understand it.

the wii has the following features:

- IBM 729 MHz PowerPC CPU ("Broadway")
- ATI 242 MHz Graphics Processor ("Hollywood")
- 91 MB of on-board memory
- 512 MB built-in flash memory
- 2USB 2.0 ports
- A proprietary output for video and audio
- 4 Gamecube controller ports and 2 Gamecube memory card ports
- Slot loading optical drive compatible with standard DVD and GameCube sized discs
- SD memory card slot(s)
- WiFi by Broadcom, with 802.11b & 802.11g support

i'll explain all of that

- IBM 729 MHz PowerPC CPU ("Broadway")

the cpu controls how fast the game can load, how much it will leg, and how much it can handle. This is almost exactly the same speed as the xbox and about 150% the power of the gamecube

- ATI 242 MHz Graphics Processor ("Hollywood")

the graphic processor (gpu) takes care of all the graphics. It's double the power of the gamecube and the same power as the xbox (again)

- 512 MB built-in flash memory

This is the memory used to store saved games and virtual console games. its about the size of 16 n64 games.

- WiFi by Broadcom, with 802.11b & 802.11g support

this means it can connect with your wireless internet

hope you found this helpful. post any corrections

To be fair, the hardware of the Wii, is not the reason people are buying it. In terms of the actual hardware, it's the weakest of all the next-gen consoles. Alot are simply buying it because it's so much fun.

thats why im buying it also. just wanted to answer everybody's question

Prob a dumb question

Do we know yet whether we will be able to save virtual console games onto an SD card if the internal memory is too full?

tooknie said:
Do we know yet whether we will be able to save virtual console games onto an SD card if the internal memory is too full?
Hey there new member :D

Yes, you can save virtual console games to an SD card, but you shouldn't have asked that in this thread.

tooknie said:
I've heard from many people - the answer is yes. I don't have an article to confirm it but that's what they have said. But you can't take the SD card to your friend's house and load up the game on their Wii. It only works with your Wii. [I'm sure hackers will find a way to get around this]

MetroidZ said:
Hey there new member :D

Yes, you can save virtual console games to an SD card, but you shouldn't have asked that in this thread.

Thanks for the friendly warning, I'd best go read the forum r:blush2: ules!

Back