How many of you actually use a Hard drive? what is its capacity? 8GB or 32GB Wii U?

GrahamF

WiiChat Member
Oct 8, 2012
Canada
Basically that it. I did have a hard drive connected to my 8GB Wii U Because I needed it to download ALL of the demos. But after deleting a couple demos after purchasing games, I ended up just sticking with internal memory. I did end up purchasing a 16GB tiny USB flash drive to hold future "WiiWare and Virtual Console games, but I don't think I'll get the disks when possible.

I heavily considered getting games like NintendoLand, Scribblenaughts, Sonic, etc as downloads; but Nintendo's license transfer policy (or lack thereof) was a big concern. I do find that sometimes I don't bother playing a game because that means I have to get off of the couch to insert the disk (holy carp I'm lazy), but so far that's the only downfall I found.

What about you guys? are you finding you need external storage? do you get disks or downloads?

I was strongly considerin' gettin' a hard drive, but one vastly important thing came t' mind 'fore the purchase: I loves me some used games. I'm sure certain old titles on the eShop will become cheaper as time goes on, they'd have to in order t' compete with the used game market, but I'm also quite sure used games will still end up bein' cheaper.

... Another problem is I'm always short on cash. If I bought a decently sized HDD, I wouldn't be buyin' any games for another few months. So no, I didn't get any external storage. Disks only as of now.

holy carp

Sig worthy. :D

would you consider a USB flash drive for online-only games and Virtual Console? The one I linked to should be pretty good. I got the 4GB version before (to use as a ReadyBoost drive for an old computer) and it fit nicely into a back port.

I mean, if you had gotten the 8GB Wii U.

Nah, gots me the Deluxe. Even after downloadin' AC:III I've quite a few GBs left for updates 'n Wii (U?)Ware even though I've two or three demos sittin' on the memory.

Don't think I'll ever need external memory, since I'll be purchasin' disks for anythin' buy-able in physical form.

yea, i got a used 500GB western digital HDD for like 70$
i could have got a 1TB used for around the same price but oh well.

3 so far but more downloadable only titles: kung fu rabbit, punch out feature Mr Dream, puddle, wii street u, netflix (app), rayman legends app, SMW, Super metroid (if released Wensday) SMB 2 (on Thurday). honestly it doesn't matter its what size u want, i didn't want a exturnal drive to be vertical incase...i have a little foot stool table that my wii u is layin on. Also my bestbuy or any store where i'm at are limited on hard drives.

On a side note, my 32GBs are all used up.

Last edited:
The 32GB Wii U, meanwhile, ultimately ends up with about 25GB left. That's more palatable, but of course it's more expensive -- the 32GB Wii U costs £300 compared with the £248 8GB model.

Nintendo's advice is to plug in an external hard drive via USB, and rely on the extra external storage that this extra gadget will afford you. You can use up to a 2TB HDD drive, but Nintendo warns against using a solid-state drive, as apparently this can impact gameplay. We have no idea why, as flash drives are generally quicker to access than hard drives.

Tutuapp 9apps Showbox

Last edited:
I did have a hard drive connected to my 8GB Wii U Because I needed it to download ALL of the demos. But after deleting a couple demos after purchasing games, I ended up just sticking with internal memory.

I did end up purchasing a 16GB tiny USB flash drive to hold future WiiWare and Virtual Console games, but I don't think I'll get the disks when possible.

I heavily considered getting games like NintendoLand, Scribblenauts, Sonic, etc as downloads; but Nintendo's license transfer policy or lack thereof was a big concern.

I do find that sometimes I don't bother playing a game because that means I have to get off of the couch to insert the disk holy carp I'm lazy, but so far that's the only downfall I found.

Steinco Industrial Solutions, Inc.

Back