I Am Very Confused!

JCpackers05

NiNtEnDoFrEakJMC
Jul 11, 2006
United States, New Jersey
ok so the wii is supposed to have wifi connection right.....yeah well how is the wii supposed to connect to the internet? i mean ive heard that it uses a wireless router which i have but i dont understand how it will work with the wireless router........in other words is it going to somehow know the router's there...if so then is there going to be like a distance limit between the wii and the router......i need an explanation and a simple one please!!!!

Wellll... for example i've got a router.. and internet card that goes into my laptop... which gets the connection from the router... with the DS it has a built in sort of card... which connects to the router... which will be the same with the Wii :D thats what I think anyway

yeah u need a router.....or a wireless router ive heard....but if you get a wireless router how is the wii going to connect to it?......thats my main question

Despite the similarity between the terms "Wi-Fi" and "Hi-Fi", statements reportedly [3] made by Phil Belanger of the Wi-Fi Alliance contradict the popular conclusion that "Wi-Fi" stands for "Wireless Fidelity".

According to Mr. Belanger, the Interbrand Corporation developed the brand "Wi-Fi" for the Wi-Fi Alliance to use to describe WLAN products that are based on the IEEE 802.11 standards. In Mr. Belanger's words, "Wi-Fi and the yin yang style logo were invented by Interbrand. We (the founding members of the Wireless Ethernet Compatibility Alliance, now called the Wi-Fi Alliance) hired Interbrand to come up with the name and logo that we could use for our interoperability seal and marketing efforts. We needed something that was a little catchier than 'IEEE 802.11b Direct Sequence'."

The Wi-Fi Alliance themselves invoked the term "Wireless Fidelity" with the marketing of a tag line, "The Standard for Wireless Fidelity," but later removed the tag from their marketing. The Wi-Fi Alliance now seems to discourage propagation of the notion that "Wi-Fi" stands for "Wireless Fidelity" but includes it in their knowledge base:

To understand the value of Wi-Fi Certification, you need to know that Wi-Fi is short for "Wireless Fidelity," and it is the popular name for 802.11-based technologies that have passed Wi-FI certification testing. This includes IEEE 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g and upcoming 802.11 technologies.
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wifi

Zzz.. Well.. Just like a computer with a wireless card.. It will detect if there is networks near you system, and if there is it will connect.. Now your next question is.. "What if there is more than one?" Well.. Seeing as there is no confirmed operating system yet.. then im sure it would scan both networks and connect to the one that has the strongest signal (i.e The closest one to the system, or the one with the fastest internet..)

I hope i helped!

wow.....thank you Wishale......ive asked at least 15 people the same question and ur the only one who answered it clearly......but i have 1 more question that doesnt really matter as much now.....but......the Wii can detect if the internet signal is there (wireless router) now will there be a certain range on it? like 30 ft. or something like that?

JCpackers05 said:
wow.....thank you Wishale......ive asked at least 15 people the same question and ur the only one who answered it clearly......but i have 1 more question that doesnt really matter as much now.....but......the Wii can detect if the internet signal is there (wireless router) now will there be a certain range on it? like 30 ft. or something like that?
depends on your router not just the wii. but 30 ft seems right.

Back