I haven't seen these addressed

Kremily1

WiiChat Member
Jan 1, 2007
I know they probably have been but I can't find the whole answer.

I went into Best Buy yesterday to get what I need to set our wii up online.
I have ADSL but it is not wireless.
The sales rep told me that I will need a DS adaptor, memory cards for each game (and that they are 4gb each), and that there are only 3 games available online right now. Plus she said that I can not just flip the wii remote around I have to buy the classic controller.
Is she talking about something else?

A guy at work said he just uses the wii controller, I saw that there are at least 15 wii games in the wii store (with 10 new per month) and I was told by someone else that I just need a USB driver or something (but I suspect that is only for wireless connections). I thought I read on somewhere that the games go straight into the wii's harddrive to prevent pirating etc so I don't see why I need a card.

Basicly my question is what do I need to get my wii online without getting wireless internet?

I read in another thread someone advise the poster to get a wireless router instead, would this be my best bet?
Do I really need an SD card for each game and, if I go wireless what exactly do I need to buy besides the router?

Thanks in advance for your help and patience (since at least some of my questions have been answered elsewhere).

For wireless I will need?:
For not wireless I will need?:

I already have a home network set up with a router, so I have wireless for my laptop, 360 and now the Wii. If you get a router, that should enable you to get set up, and I don't recall mine being expensive. My Husband and I got a D-Link, and have been very happy with it. The 360 required a special wireless adapter, but the Wii was ready to go and picked up the signal straight away.

We have a couple games, have downloaded the browser and three retro games and have so far not needed to get an SD card - we will look into getting one over the next couple of weeks as we expand our collection of games. There are quite a few retro titles available, we picked up a classic controllers to play original Zelda, Original Super Mario Bros and Mario 64. The classic controller is required for all three of those.

Hope you manage to get your Wii online soon!

Awesome thank you.
So if you have wireless you don't need any other equipment or adaptors?
This is all so confusing but as soon as the sales rep told me that there were only 3 games available (this was yesterday) alarm bells started going off in my head. I'm glad she said that or I would have spent at least a couple hundred bucks for nothing.
So wireless is the way to go, does it come with everything you need to secure it from other people using it? I know my brother sometimes picks up other people's connections with his laptop (unitentionally).

I bought the Original Marios Bro and Zelda thru VC and I play with the wii remote. You can play any of the original games without having to buy a new controller, the wii remote turned sideways works fine. I havent tried it for alot of those games but the ones i have tried so far it works. Try it before u shell out more cash unless you just want to buy one.

YAY! Thank you!!! That is what I wanted to read! Not that I don't love the system or think it;s worth it but I would prefer to save as much money as possible (leaves more to buy more games).

Is there anywhere online I can look to see what retro games have been released to date? I really want Super MArio Bros 3.

You have to lock you router so other ppl cant get into it, plus making it so you can. There are online instructions on how to do this.Every router is different depending on what brand or router you get. No games are online play at the moment. But you can go online to download games if you by point cards. You can also surf the internet and exchange mii's. You do not need a memory card but good to have one. You dont need a memory card for every game. There are more than 3 games out and more to come in Jan, and im pretty sure you can use your gamecube controller for the games you download but not sure about that one. Hope that helped

Awesome, incidentally does anyone know what items I would need if I opted not to go wireless?

Is the only place to see the current games and their point costs through the wii?

Not really sure if there is a site with the titles, I can look on VC when I get a chance and tell you what some are, I think SMB 3 may be there. It has NES, Super MES, Genesis, N64 games so Im almost positive that Its there

We put a WEP key on our wireless connection to protect it as much as possible, I live about two miles away from Microsoft (and Nintendo), so a pretty tech-savvy area, and my laptop picks up around ten wireless signals usually. I try to be careful, no online banking or ebaying from the laptop over a wireless connection.

I didn't know you could use the remote for the retro games, we thought you needed the classic controller so picked it up anyways. I'll have to try it with the remote next time I play! :lol:

bellydancebabe said:
I try to be careful, no online banking or ebaying from the laptop over a wireless connection.
Oh, this is good to know, I do almost all my banking online.

Yes go into the retro game and click the user guide and it shows you the controls. On mario turn the remote with the cross buttons to the left and to select a game its the - button to jump is the 2 button and 1 button fires after u get the flower..its fun with the remote

Oh yeah, if I don't go wireless does anyone know what items I will need?

You will have to wait for the lan conection. I dont know when it is due out. you may want to look online or do a search on here

If you dont go wireless there is a USB adapter that connects to the PC so you will need that. Someone else can tell u the exact name

Thank you, I posted in wii hardware to see if I get more help.

Back