Is Nintendo playing with us or something?

Kunu

WiiChat Member
Sep 11, 2006
I found this after some frustrating Google's.

"People change. Hairstyles change. Interest rates fluctuate." When Hillary Flammond uttered those words in Top Secret, she clearly hadn't experienced the gaming industry -- a marvelous, often magical place where things change very quickly indeed. As today's cataclysmic explosion of Wii news demonstrates, things can change for better or for worse. Yesterday's truth may become today's obsolete press release. So, what has (and hasn't) changed for Nintendo between then and now?

Then: The Wii could play DVDs via an unspecified and entirely nebulous dongle. The original console description reads: "Two Disc Formats, One Slot: Instead of a tray, a single, innovative, self-loading media bay will play both 12-centimeter optical discs used for the new system as well as Nintendo GameCube discs. Owners will have the option of equipping a small, self-contained attachment to play movies and other DVD content."
Now: Inserting a DVD into the system will likely produce a polite error message indicating a complete inability to play DVDs. Nintendo's Perrin Kaplan explains DVD playback was removed "in order to deliver the machine at a cheaper cost and because most people today already own DVD players." On the plus side, this reduces the amount of times we'll have to type a dubious word like "dongle."

Then: In January 2006, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata tells Japanese newspapers that the Wii should launch in the US by Thanksgiving. "As for North America, we need to release it by Thanksgiving, or otherwise we won't receive support from the retail industry."
Now: Launching on Nov. 19, Nintendo makes it with a few days to spare. Show some gratitude, will ya?

Then: Scott Hedrick, Executive VP of Opera for Devices, confirms that the Wii version of the browser "will not be sold as a seperate item." He also explains that software will come loaded on the system.
Now: The Opera browser is no longer built-in and no longer free -- it will be sold as a seperate item through the Wii's internet channel for an unknown number of Wii Points.

Then: At E3 2006, a whole host of new features are revealed for The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Though the Wii version boasts a different control scheme, it will be released on the same day as the Gamecube adventure.
Now: The Wii's Twilight Princess is still on track for launch, whereas the Gamecube (reminder: the platform the game was originally developed for) is forced to wait until December 11th. Sure, that makes sense. Not implementing a widescreen mode must be trickier than we were previously lead to believe.

Then: Speaking at a news conference in Osaka, a Nintendo senior managing director makes it apparent that the Wii would launch in America for no more than $250. That particular statement would go on to fuel a ludicrous amount of speculation.
Now: Well, he wasn't lying. The Wii launch price comes in at $249.99, a full cent below the upper limit of truth.

Then: In March 2006, Satoru Iwata tells CNN all about the USB ports on the Wii and how "practically any storage method can be used" in lieu of SD cards and the 512MB of internal storage.
Now: Perrin Kaplan empties her Magnum into that idea, telling Wired News' Joel Johnson that only flash storage will be supported. Iwata's suggestion becomes relegated to something Nintendo "could" explore in the future. This "future" place we keep hearing about sounds fantastic.

Then: Retro Studios assures IGN that Metroid Prime 3: Corruption will attend the inevitably debaucherous Wii launch party.
Now: A quick glance at the confirmed launch party list reveals that Metroid Prime 3 has not been invited. It's been delayed until 2007, and no amount of pleasantly worded paragraphs can hide our resulting bitterness."

What is up with nintendo? I remember: "Wii Prove our Promise" was the slogan for a while.

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/14/wii-then-and-now/

everyone has a dvd player
the more time we wait, the better, more chances of getting one on launch
you get a game included for the 249.99 price, it has not been fully announced opera will cost money, because japan said you can download it for free until june,

Sovieto said:
everyone has a dvd player
the more time we wait, the better, more chances of getting one on launch
you get a game included for the 249.99 price, it has not been fully announced opera will cost money, because japan said you can download it for free until june,

I'm sick of hearing "lol you get wii for 200 bucks and wii spors for 50 bucks think of it that way"

Wii Sports isn't 50 bucks. It's like 30 bucks. Think about it; 5 so-so games in one isn't worth that much.

What I'm most pissed off about it the price. They're 1 cent under their promise. That's just bull.

And the controller. I admit, it's a fairly good price, but the Nunchuck, IMO, is a little too much. 20 bucks for a stick with an analog stick on it? No, it should be 10 bucks. That would be much better, then it would be 50 bucks per set.

And the release date. They forgot about their promise...I remember dictinctly Nintendo saying "We will NOT be the last console to launch this year."

Maybe Nintendo is pulling a prank. Maybe they'll change their mind later on. Hopefully.

wii sports is accutaly 40. its not as cheap as you think, it gets pretty in depth. japan wont have wii sports included and their wii console is $213, and their wii sports is $40, i dont remember nintendo saying they wont be the last console, i just remember: before thanksgiving. the nunchuk also has motion sensing, not pointing, but still detecting it, making it fairly a bit price, i think the wiimote should be like 50, but that extra 10 was put into the nunchuk sinec a lot of games use nunchuk. either way be glad not all your games are gonna be $60, like 360, i think all will be $50 for wii, because people are gonna be like: hmm i can get one of these $50 games or this $60 game, so they will want to keep up too. with all thoes 10 bucks your saving, and you only have to buy up to 4 wiimotes+nunchuks, your getting a sweet deal

*sigh* Just Be Glad They're Releasing It At All, OK?

I'm Not Happy ABout The Wiimote Price Either...

I might be dreaming, but...

Maybe Nintendo IS having a joke with us? Giving us a day so they can look at the reactions of us fanboys? And maybe they'll reveal everything tomorrow, at UK, and finish their confernces with a bang?

I stil think there's one more big thing to reveal tomorrow, a worldwide relation, not a UK relation.

Honestly I was a little disappointed myself. I ready to hear to good stuff. Isn't there 1 more secret Nintendo is holding back. Maybe will find out tommorrow. Cross your Fingers

Ketico said:
Honestly I was a little disappointed myself. I ready to hear to good stuff. Isn't there 1 more secret Nintendo is holding back. Maybe will find out tommorrow. Cross your Fingers

I'm a little lost, so tomorrow there is going to be another conference?

In the UK. Also lets not forget about the tokyo game show which will also be taking place soon. There is a chance they might say something there! I read the japanese conference as it happened, and the US one when I woke up. I admit that the japanese one dissapointed me, but not the north american one!

Big_Mill said:
You fellas should be glad your not in the uk. We are bound to have to pay more than anyone else and wait longer than anyone else in the world. Happens with every single console :(.
I know, Its horrible, and if its late coming out and expensive I am gonna kill my cat again.:scared:

I have noticed that on www.wii.com , there are several open spots on the homepage. Possibly just shortcuts for downloaded content, or maybe there's something they're not telling us yet.....

About the price, it's really not that bad. As for the console, Wiimote, and Nunchuck; think of how much money it costs to build that kind of technology. Most game manufacturers lose money on the console itself, then make it back in games. I'm positive that's happening here. As for the games, according to employees at one of the local EB's, PS3 games will be selling for $60, and older games are still the same price they've always been.

registerednerd said:
I have noticed that on www.wii.com , there are several open spots on the homepage. Possibly just shortcuts for downloaded content, or maybe there's something they're not telling us yet.....

About the price, it's really not that bad. As for the console, Wiimote, and Nunchuck; think of how much money it costs to build that kind of technology. Most game manufacturers lose money on the console itself, then make it back in games. I'm positive that's happening here. As for the games, according to employees at one of the local EB's, PS3 games will be selling for $60, and older games are still the same price they've always been.
ya i agre. but i herd a rumor a little while ago that ps3 games will cost up to 70$?

their expected to cost $70-100
my guess is $75
right now blu ray is 25 for movies, compared to 60 for games on next-gen consoles (except for maybe wii(not counting first party)) so thats like the 5 buck blu ray difference added, 65..then since its so much memory on one disc unlike the movie ones thats some extra cash and then the rest left over, maybe 3-5 bucks? will be their profit

Last edited:
When Kunu siad something about nintendo promising that they wouldn't be the last ones to release their console, well they're releasing the wii the day before the PS3

Back