Is The Wii REALLY worth it?

Lethal said:
Ouch! I am very sorry to hear that. Red steel was ok but nothing great. Great FPS are these my man:

Gears of War
Resistance
Call of Duty 2,3
Halo
Halo 2
Quake 4
Half-Life 2 (soon to be on 360)
Far Cry (Not the Wii version)
GRAW
Doom 3
Unreal Tournament 200X

Now those are some excellent FPS games. All of which destroy Red Steel.
Hmmm... i'm not so sure, i have compleated Gears of war on all difficulties, played it on a HD tv all the way though, sure the graphics were good, controls were a beauty. and it was amazing, i've played a few of those other titles as well, and yeah they are great.

BUT The wii takes FPS to a next level, it dropped graphics, yeah the graphics arn't great, BUT!! once u get the controls, and i say once, it is flipping awesome, without A Wii, FPS is just ESOME.

you need to give it a chance, you are to hyped up on graphics and stuff like that, you say gameplay, but you don't actually know what it gameplay means. how you interact with the game, not just it's story line ;)

Dont know if this helps but its well worth $250 if it were say $400+.
I would have considered other consoles. But between the price and the Wiimote you cant go wrong.:thumbsup:

Revival said:
I bet you if I opened up the Wii and sold the individual components on Ebay I would make more money than the retail price of the console. So yes, it's worth it!

Nope, Wii is making 25% profit off each console they sell. If you took it apart and sold it on eBay you would not profit.

Lethal said:
Geez I wonder why? Could it be because there are 2-1 more Wiis to purchase than the PS3? Could it be because its $350 cheaper? You cannot use that as an example as to why to buy a Wii.
Still, you can't deny the facts- wii is kicking sony's butt! Wii is also more advanced (controller-wise) than ps3. I think that the wii is a great investment- it's fun and it is revolutionary.

:cornut: :cornut: :cornut: :cornut: :cornut: :cornut: :cornut: :cornut: :cornut: :cornut: :cornut: :cornut: :cornut: :cornut: :cornut: :cornut: :cornut: :cornut: :cornut: :cornut: :cornut: :cornut: :cornut: :cornut: :cornut: :cornut: :cornut: :cornut: :cornut: :cornut:

Lethal said:
Wii Sports is lots of fun and Zelda is just amazing. Just dont expect great FPS games to come out. This system is more a party/sports machine.
I don't have a Wii yet either .But I have rented a Wii for a few days . Wii sport is very cool and a hit with the whole family .
I also played CoD3 and apart from a few problematic moments with the controls now and again , I thought the way the Wii remote controlled the action was brilliant .Target acquisition is fast and precise , also 360degree orientation works perfectly once you get used to it . The control mechanics can only get better as developers get more used to the machine .I'm genuinly excited about the FPS prospects and also squad based shooters on the Wii . In these genres the Wii will rock the house !

i have a Wii and it the best. the Wii are hard to get tho but in the end it worth it it 110% worth it :smilewinkgrin:

Wi1d Ey3d J0k3r, I need to comment on a few of your statements.
1. Very few people I know own a PSP and I teach for a major High School (affluent even) in Ohio. Not to mention none of my kids friends have a PSP or even want one. In reality, it is a dude compared to Nintendo's hand-helds.

2. Everyone I know who has the PS3 has stated that it was the biggest money mistake they have ever made. The games while having awsome graphics, just don't have the playability and longevity they want. Simply having BlueRay doesn't make up for it. Nor does the web-browser as most people willing to spend that much money on a console already have a PC where it's easier to browse.

3. You really should confirm your facts before posting. Not doing so greatly lessens your credibility on everything else. If you would have taken a few seconds and simply gone to http://www.blu-ray.com/info/ You would have seen the following.

"The format offers more than five times the storage capacity of traditional DVDs and can hold up to 25GB on a single-layer disc and 50GB on a dual-layer disc."

NOTE: They are intentionally being vague by stating "traditional DVDs". Why? Because most DVD's are actually 8GB, not the common 4.7 of DVD+-Rs. That the Xbox dev's chose to use 4.7 discs implies that they didn't want to invest more time into dev, not that they were limited to 4.7GB. My son has had quite a few 8GB xbox and PS2 discs.

Lastly on this. There is a lot of concern in the A/V world that the "enchanced" BlueRay disc won't be supported by current players like the PS3. The extra layers currently require a special laser to get at. A laser which the current players DON'T have. So much for the PS3 supporting 200GB discs.

5. I complete agree with your last statement. For me with an expensive PC/LCD for my gaming machine, I can't believe how much I enjoy and can actually USE the Wii controller. I can't adjust to gamepad controllers. I've tried. On PC (as far back as the Gravis gamepad) and consoles up to the PS3. Thumbs were not meant for aiming, IMHO.

Wi1d Ey3d J0k3r said:
Also, the PS3 has a web browser and offers a similar form of downloading previous Play Station titles via its online store. This capability 1-ups the Wii by then allowing players to download these games onto their PSP’s.

As far as the Wii being more interactive we’ll see. The personally I am as impressed by the Six-Axis PS3 controller as the Wii-mote. I have ran through the demo of a Warhawk for the PS3 and it uses the Six-Axis controller extremely well to pilot the aircraft. It tightly simulates piloting of a real airplane. The Wii games, however, have been having some sensitivity issues (Red Steel and COD3) in my opinion.

Just so everybody here is clear DVD game format is becoming obsolete. This can be shown by the first generation of Xbox 360 games using all 5 gigs (if I remember correctly) of the disk. The newer games being released are going to push that limit even further and begin taking up multiple disks. Blue Dragon, a future 360 game, being developed is currently planned to launch on 4 DVD disks. A Blue-Ray disk alone can hold 50 gigs of info (10 times that of DVD) on a single layer. Dual layer Blue-Ray disks are also going to become common place.

In the end it is truly based on the amount of money you are willing to spend and what it is YOU are expecting out of your gaming consol.

I would say that the Wii is worth buying only if you have a 360 or PS3 already. I'm impressed with some aspects of the Wii, but I would never buy it over either of those systems. If, however, you do happen to have a 360 or PS3, I think the Wii's an excellent addition. It's something you can mess around and have fun with once you're tired of Chainsawing aliens on the 360.

I think the wii is worth it but if you cant find it in stores why not just wait for awhile sometimes ppl have to wait there for hours i have the wii tho :D

Strommsarnac, I don't mean to argue, but I am a college student who owns both a PSP and DS. I frequently play both, and I won't leave my dorm without either one of them if not both. My point in stating what I previously mentioned was that Sony is not only allowing for backwards compatibility of the PS3 but also for the PSP. This is a move Nintendo hasn't really attempted for their handhelds outside of the classic remakes such as the original Zelda and other classic titles.

I brought up the PS3's web browsing capabilities to counter the remark made earlier about the Wii supporting a Web Browser. The remark was used as a comparison of the consoles and is wrong. I personal find web browser on consoles pointless unless they can surpass those of a PC.

Additionally, I was pulling that Blue-Ray information out of my head from when I read about it, who knows how long ago. I admit I wasn't entirely correct. However my point still stands that a standard Blue-Ray disk holds three times that of a 360 or Wii DVD. This reduces games like Blue Dragon to 2 Blue-Ray disks (possibly one) opposed to three or four DVDs.

As a fellow member of Wiichat, I respect you're thoughts and involvement in the forums. I do mean to argue, but rather state the facts and my personal opinions (where appropriate) so that others may reach their own decisions.

Happy Wii playing in 2007!

Back