Let me get this straight

En4Neo

Jet-Set-Jesse
Feb 10, 2007
Is there any difference between Nintendo and non nintendo branded component cables?

well, like everything, you get what you paid for, but don't get anything to expensive, I bought the nintendo ones and they work great... Plus, the nintendo can only give 480p, so it is not much what you can get out of the wii.

There is a difference - there have been lots of issues being reported with vc games when using non-official component cables.

J-Tizzle: 480p is a higher definition mode than standard (which will be either 480I or 576I depending on where you live in the world). You need an EDTV or a HDTV along with the component cables to be able to set your wii to output in this mode.

Nintendo is releasing a 540p cable. I think that even the gamecube had fair graphics. I chose gameplay over graphics. Sorry thats just my gaming style, if you want HD go outside and play some soccer or something.

Wiitendo said:
Nintendo is releasing a 540p cable. I think that even the gamecube had fair graphics. I chose gameplay over graphics. Sorry thats just my gaming style, if you want HD go outside and play some soccer or something.

Real life's HD is so clear it's disgusting, I don't want it to be that clear!!!

1080p would be perfect.

Any way I've been playing my Wii on 480p, it hardly looks any better than standard and it actually makes LoZ TP look wierdly sharp in places. People overhyped the qaulity way too much, you don't need 480p to be able to enjoy the Wii's graphics....it's just too little of an upgrade.

thisisgil said:
There is a difference - there have been lots of issues being reported with vc games when using non-official component cables.

J-Tizzle: 480p is a higher definition mode than standard (which will be either 480I or 576I depending on where you live in the world). You need an EDTV or a HDTV along with the component cables to be able to set your wii to output in this mode.

Thanks Thisisgil!

Are the Nintendo cables worth $25?

En4Neo said:
Real life's HD is so clear it's disgusting, I don't want it to be that clear!!!

1080p would be perfect.

Any way I've been playing my Wii on 480p, it hardly looks any better than standard and it actually makes LoZ TP look wierdly sharp in places. People overhyped the qaulity way too much, you don't need 480p to be able to enjoy the Wii's graphics....it's just too little of an upgrade.

Really, you were not impressed with the cables? What type of TV are you using LCD, Plasma, or Rear projection? I picked up a set of the Nintendo Component Cables for $30 and felt they really made a difference. But I do agree the cables are necessary to enjoy your Wii, but the do make the graphics a lot better. Zelda was much improved from the foggy blurry regular view but when used with the right cables looks amazing. Excite truck looks really good and tiger Woods 2007 is are great show of graphics. To each his own I guess but the Nintendo cables for $30 are well worth the money.

En4Neo said:
Is there any difference between Nintendo and non nintendo branded component cables?

Wire is wire. As long as the cable is put together decently, there is no difference. And really, no company is going to bother with making the molds and stuff without providing for the cable basics. Returns cost far more than production.

I've seen the same aftermarket Wii component cables at Best Buy for $29.99, on ebay for $14.95 + $4.00 shipping, and at www.meritline.com for $9.00 including shipping. I've used one of these for a month, they work exactly the same as a Nintendo cable or high-end aftermarket.

Those little electrons can't really see the color of the vinyl, or the logo embossed on the plugs. They just follow the copper.

Wiitendo said:

Whens this?
Because i got 480p cables and now there bringing out new ones? GOsh

As far as I know the Wii can only support 480P. The only way you could achieve 540P is with an up-scaling and you would not be getting a true 540P.

Where did you get this info? Source?

This is from cnet.com

Component video adapter: The Wii doesn't have the graphical horsepower to handle high-def graphics, but it can do DVD-level 480p video, which will look considerably better on large HDTVs. To see the Wii's games in 480p, you'll need Nintendo's proprietary component video adapter, which should run about $20.

Last edited:
where did you hear of the 540p setting?

and why would they need new cables to do this? components can handle more than 480p, look at the xbox 360 for example...

they wouldnt need a new cable, just a system update...

Back