memory card at launch?

Yeah, people don't waste your money on over-priced SD memory cards yet. You will probably be able to just connect a USB thumb drive or harddrive to one of the two USB ports, which would cost waaaay less.

I wonder if you can specify where/what you want to save your game saves to or if you'll have to tell it to save to the hard drive or thumb drive every time you pop in a new game?

how much is a save file? like, how much would 1 block on a gamecube memory card be? how much mb

OMG! Starcraft is only 218 mb and thats including all the maps and everything i have on there

I_WANT_WII said:
Does that mean that if I have 20 gb of empty space on my computer that I won't really need a memory card?
Yeah, in fact, you will probably be able to save your game saves wirelessly to your PC, by using something like this USB WiFi thing from Datel, which lets you do the same thing with your DS.

As for what size game saves take up, Sovieto, I'm not completly sure. I did a search for game saves and atleast for the PS2, most of it's game saves are less than one MB; they're all around 400KB if you go here.

wikipedia says 125 MB is 1gb
NES games take up less than 50KB in storage space, and SNES games such as The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past take up only 1MB of space
seems like wii would have more than enough room for VC games..

Last edited:
I_WANT_WII said:
Does that mean that if I have 20 gb of empty space on my computer that I won't really need a memory card?
not exactly. You would need an *external* hard drive that you could plug into the Wii's USB ports. And even then, they haven't confirmed that you can use a hard drive. I saw someplace that you could only use flash memory. Either way, SD cards are extremely easy to find and very cheap.

Back