Metroid Prime 3 and future Wii FPS control scheme hint?

Wiihead
Dec 5, 2006
Kingston, Ontario Canada.
Wii Online Code
8977-0087-6875-3601
I sent an E-mail to Retro studios(their working on Metroid 3) asking that they atleast include an option for a more classic type of control scheme. It seems to me that although Mike didn't say specifically that such a control scheme would be available he was hinting at it(I hope). Here is a copy of that correspondence.

Subject: Metroid and future Wii FPS control suggestion

With 14 years of FPS gaming and modding experience I hope to see gaming hit new heights with the Wii. That said please consider allowing traditional console controller control schemes in games such as Metroid 3 in the future. YES let the crosshair move around the screen but PLEASE DO NOT FORCE US TO TURN WITH IT! :) Use the motion sensing and axis aswell but atleast provide a selectable control scheme which will allow movement and looking with the analog stick and the + on the wii-mote... I've tried it in my hands and I know it will work.. Use the A button for something like secondary fire(scope) or switching weapons.. Something not done as often as shooting for example... Maybe allow jumping by jerking the nunchuk up... but PLEASE allow us to be able to atleast select a control scheme like I have suggested, be creative but dont force us to turn with the pointer.(This is crushing our hopes for FPS on the Wii and you can clearly see it in the reviews and on the forums.)

Thank you for you time and consideration

A very hopeful Nintendo/FPS fan

Hi,

We appreciate hearing about the types of products that you would like to see
from us in the future. While there hasn't been an announcement concerning the control schemes to be used in future FPS games, you never know what the future holds! As the worldwide leader and innovator in the creation of interactive entertainment, and because of our history of pushing the limits of gameplay and design, you can always count on Nintendo offering the most imaginative products.

In the meantime, keep checking our website's news section for the latest information and announcements.

Nintendo of America Inc.
Mike Chandler

*Sigh

Atleast they listened

hahha.

You lazy bum. Why did you get the wii if you want to use traditional controllers?

For some reason, when those places e-mail you back, it always seems as if they didn't really read anything that you said because there isn't MUCH as far as a reply goes to what you said. My bet is that somehow when a person e-mails them, keywords are taken from that e-mail and used in a pre-written reply because that just doesn't seem like a normal answer for an e-mail.

.. I dont.. but I need to be able to have better turning strafing control than I believe is possible by dragging the view about with the crosshair..... Id rather have strafe and look control under my thumbs and the ability to move my crosshair about the screen at the same time.

Last edited:
The peripheral have a point. because when i wrote nintendo, They sent me some unnecessary info which didnt relate to my questions or suggestions........ and I let my friend read the email. and he said the same thing. that he feel that they pick out keywords and respond on that. So most of the time, you are going to get a foney answer..........Let me tell you wat to do 5010. write that same messege again and then see if u get the same answer..... Change the title if you want. But do that and you will know whats up

1) Metroid isn't going to be using the same type of box-strafing that Ubisoft is using.

2) The wiimote control scheme is going to roxor.

3) No, you don't need a different control scheme, you need to get use to the wii control scheme, as you had to get use to the new scheme with the N64, GCN.

4) Do you have any idea how many emails these people get? You honestly expect them to put time into every reply they give? You have a lot to learn about big business.

Vagrant your right. There is no sense in writing them because your not goin to get a good answer and they don't have enough time to check everybody email............. that is so sad lol lmao............ That makes you feel dumb, to know your writing a computer lmao

I am out of my element as I am not a hardcore FPS fan, but I must say the control scheme used in Call of Duty 3 has brought new enjoyment to the FPS genre in my opinion.

I used to play PC FPS's but never could stomach playing them with the limits of classic console controllers. With my Wiimote and Nunchuck I find myslef actually enjoying FPS's on a console for the first time ever.

Although not a hardcore FPS gamer, I would hope that several control schematics are available with the launch of Metriod Corruption.

dendj5 said:
I am out of my element as I am not a hardcore FPS fan, but I must say the control scheme used in Call of Duty 3 has brought new enjoyment to the FPS genre in my opinion.

I used to play PC FPS's but never could stomach playing them with the limits of classic console controllers. With my Wiimote and Nunchuck I find myslef actually enjoying FPS's on a console for the first time ever.

Although not a hardcore FPS gamer, I would hope that several control schematics are available with the launch of Metriod Corruption.

wow, we are one in the same. I have been a huge pc fps fan since the original Doom/Wolfenstein.

As has my friend, who really got into red steel with me. I have always hated FPSing on a console, but I am loving it with the wii.

Third person games are better........... but with the wiimote, i think first person is the best for it.... i rather third person shooter games anyday than first person tho.

Last edited:
metroid needs to be like a copy cat of halo : as in online play and what not. This will launch the wii into crazy killer app madness.

Lan the wiis up and play capture the flag, metroid style sounds good to me.

vagrant said:
You are in the minority apparently.

Don't get me wrong nah vagrant............. I just was always a lover for third person shooter games...... because it just don't look write jumpin and crouchin in first person....... But because of the wiimote, first person games will be better... I just feel like you can do more in third person games... You see where I coming from right?

wallyson said:
metroid needs to be like a copy cat of halo : as in online play and what not. This will launch the wii into crazy killer app madness.

Lan the wiis up and play capture the flag, metroid style sounds good to me.

I don't think it should be an exact copycat........ we don't want Nintendo to be like mirror image like sony.... BUT yeah metriod style for real..... Make the online play BETTER than HALO.

I just want online play for nintendo becuase they deserve it and they have some nice franchises that would benefit greatly from online.

Super smash bros online, would be even better.

Back