My Wii games look worse in HD

Wait this is goofed up, editing now... :D

wezeles said:
More and more though there are alot of LCD,Plasma's HDTV's that have no upconverter or very weak ones included in the set.

Are there actually sets WITHOUT an upconverter? Never heard of this - I'm assuming they don't have anything other than HDMI ports? I can't image a production, consumer set without the ability to handle conventional signals. Any links to a regular consumer channel set like this?

wezeles said:
Last time i checked the HD channels List the FCC posted it was 10% broadcasted in HDTV.

Most networks broadcast in OTA local, free HD as well. We did that for several months before D* added HD locals. In fact, CW is OTA HD here and it's not HD on D* local!

Most our HD channels are 1920x1080 or 1280x720 (both within the HD spec), MPEG-4 streams - pretty much every major (USA, TBS, TNT, FMC, SCIFI, CBS, NBC, Disco, TLC, etc), all have dedicated HD channels. True that some of the programming isn't HD sourced, but nearly everything (as I said) primetime is, and most movies they run are as well. I just saw today that another * company added 24 more HD channels.

Without question there are channels like PBS doing a non-HD type broadcast as HD - and a few 1080 sources that are broadcasting in a 4:3 (Survivor comes to mind).

wezeles said:
Like i said before the DTV switch of 2009 does not make anyone switch to HDTV its just the direction companies seem to be going, With DTV signal any format is possibal now they can fit alot more information in less space with less distortion as opposed to the old school analog radio waves.

Yeah, though it's not really even consumer driven - they're effectively running out of frequency space in the usable spectrum. Plus, with digital comes easier DRM! Also remember the DTV switch is *not* HD related - it's digital which can and will still carry (especially OTA) SD broadcasts

wezeles said:
Then make an informed decision when you buy a new product

In the end everyone pays for there mistakes in this case its with money

Agreed. Super true. :)

highroller said:
CHange the resolution of your HD tv to 480 and it will be displayed nicely. Not all tv's have this option, but if you have it, go ahead

Trying to display 480 in a 1080 TV will not look good, because the TV tries to fill those 600 extra pixels per square inch with something. That is the reason why it looks bad. But if you set your tv to a 480i or p (with the HD component cables), then the Wii will look beautiful.

If it's an LCD/DLP/Plasma as has been pointed out - there is no "resolution setting" - if it's tube based, then it will. You are absolutely correct about having to fill the additional pixels. Sometimes on broadcast that's been upscaled, you'll see macroblocking with are MPEG artifacts that get introduced as a result of missing data (or too much compression to avoid launching another satellite [insert D* rant here]).

Last edited:
Limbo said:
From all the different answers it sounds like this problem may be more of a problem with my TV then a general HD problem.

I did some more research this afternoon, and came across some stuff about EDTV (enhanced definition TV), which displays in 480p.

Now, if I'm only going to be using this TV for Wii, would that be the way to go maybe? It would be cheaper, but it broadcasts in 480p, which is the best the wii can display in. I could get a somewhat compact one so the pixels aren't too large, and I would think it would display clearer than 720p+ hdtvs. (The problem with my TV is that it almosts seems to be searching to output detail onto the screen which simply isn't there with the wii, so the end result is a sloppy, jagged picture. And no, I do not have a 1080p tv.)

Thanks for the help

Do you have the room or need for another t.v.? i mean unless you have other things to toss on the t.v. aswell for the same money if not less you can eaisly get your current t.v. to work with all the previous resolutions with a quality upconverter/scaler.... Post up what model you have im sure i we could find what you need to get everything to work...

If you do have the need and room for it i would go with a big EDTV aswell... I have alot of older consoles like 3D0,Atari,Genesis,Dream Cast that i just cant Stack up under one t.v. so i use a 36 inch tube tv i got dirt cheep... Tube t.v.'s are now considered old tech so what was 500 bucks a few years ago is barely 250 now... These older consoles of mine don't work in 16:9 format unless i set the t.v to strech it so honestly its cool and all on the big wide screen but looks more natural on a 4:3 36 inch...

Last edited:
[DT] said:
Are there actually sets WITHOUT an upconverter? Never heard of this - I'm assuming they don't have anything other than HDMI ports? I can't image a production, consumer set without the ability to handle conventional signals. Any links to a regular consumer channel set like this?

Upconverters are acctually just getting "great" right now... they are getting to the point where its hard to tell the differance between an upconverted signal and an orginal signal with great adjustment options.Its a pain to have to setup every channel of your t.v. to make its look its best but sadly with what manufactures do these days to save a buck you have too. Thats why i recomend them to so many people.

And the upconverting problem is pretty much just that... i've ran more than a few Lcd/Plasma's lately that had no composite/s-video/coax some even didnt have component...

[DT] said:
Most networks broadcast in OTA local, free HD as well. We did that for several months before D* added HD locals. In fact, CW is OTA HD here and it's not HD on D* local!

Most our HD channels are 1920x1080 or 1280x720 (both within the HD spec), MPEG-4 streams - pretty much every major (USA, TBS, TNT, FMC, SCIFI, CBS, NBC, Disco, TLC, etc), all have dedicated HD channels. True that some of the programming isn't HD sourced, but nearly everything (as I said) primetime is, and most movies they run are as well. I just saw today that another * company added 24 more HD channels.

Without question there are channels like PBS doing a non-HD type broadcast as HD - and a few 1080 sources that are broadcasting in a 4:3 (Survivor comes to mind).

Again your listing Paid networks that you can only get on Cable or Satelite... And your speaking of the "sister" Networks mirrored in HD not the normall network channel themself.. Still ends up being a small minority of Channels...Keep wishing thouse HD dreams but we got a few years...lol

wezeles said:
Keep wishing thouse HD dreams but we got a few years...lol

Heck, everything we watch looks spectacular (the Superfan package was especially impressive this year, nearly every game in HD), so I'm more than happy right now :D

BTW, above, Dave = You (re: receivers :) )

[DT] said:
Heck, everything we watch looks spectacular (the Superfan package was especially impressive this year, nearly every game in HD), so I'm more than happy right now :D

+1, to further get OT :), I used to pay $60/month for SD only channels from Comcast. I got DirecTV + HDDVR over the weekend and pay $70/month (non-promotional). My HD dream came true :). All that matters to me is if there is an HD option for most of what I watch. DirecTV offers that and the wife and I love it!

ok, in an update to my previous post...I just got component cables for my wii and am currently running it in HD. It looks absolutely gorgeous!!! So its definitely a TV issue, not HD or Wii.

wezeles said:
Do you have the room or need for another t.v.? i mean unless you have other things to toss on the t.v. aswell for the same money if not less you can eaisly get your current t.v. to work with all the previous resolutions with a quality upconverter/scaler.... Post up what model you have im sure i we could find what you need to get everything to work...

If you do have the need and room for it i would go with a big EDTV aswell... I have alot of older consoles like 3D0,Atari,Genesis,Dream Cast that i just cant Stack up under one t.v. so i use a 36 inch tube tv i got dirt cheep... Tube t.v.'s are now considered old tech so what was 500 bucks a few years ago is barely 250 now... These older consoles of mine don't work in 16:9 format unless i set the t.v to strech it so honestly its cool and all on the big wide screen but looks more natural on a 4:3 36 inch...

The Model is a Samsung LN-R238WA. If you can find something to help that'd be amazing. I don't know very much about TV's.

Limbo said:
I haven't posted on this forum in a long time (not that I was ever a huge poster), but I'm getting back into the Wii in anticipation of SSB, but I have one problem that's frustrating me.

My Wii looks terrible on my Samsung HDTV.

Yes, I'm pluggin in the cords right, I have everything set up correctly, but games on my hdtv which is about two years old look terrible. Jagged edges appear in places i didn't think possible, and the graphics are reallllly disappointing.

When I plug the Wii into my much older, normal TV, everything looks fine, and there are fewer jagged edges and everything is just...tidier on the screen.

I need some advice, because I am someone who enjoys quality graphics in their games (kill me now), and I feel like I'm getting cheated out of the best picture I can get.

I have a 480p cable, and I'm considering buying a new HDTV to play Wii on, and need any advice you can dish out.

What type of HDTV should I get? LCD? Plasma?
What brand?
Any other advice?

Anyways, I didn't know whether to put this here or in the Nintendo hardware section, since it's not really a problem with my Wii. Thanks for listening, and I'm glad to be back.

Don't listen to that guy who said it's the wii's crappy graphics.I don't really know much about TV's so,I can't give you an exact answer.

[DT] said:

Ya i have worked for Comcast Cable also work in local t.v. stations here in the South Eastern michigan Area including local PBS,Fox,ABC,MSNBC local stations to Detroit...

Right now personally i use Comcast with a HDDVR.
But i have also messed around with Dish Network and Direct T.V. so if you want some pointers at specific carrier and what they offer for decoders and boxes just let me know who your currently using... I preffer Comcast because im mainly a movie guy and they have the Hudge On demand librarys including tons of HD content... But overall the satelite companies offer better overall HD channels with more to offer and alot in better quality... Some of the comcast HD boxes cant do any better than 720...

The boxes are a big part if how good your HD experience is for Satelite and Cable... Once i heard they had a newer model for Comcast HD i called them up and drove right out to my local office and switched it over for free... most satelite companies will do this aswell because you dont own the box anymore like back in the day, you just lease it from them monthly... all depends on your specific provider. But if you do have to own a box they let them go pretty cheep i even own a couple of my boxes buying them off Ebay and the such, so i dont have to pay the 5 dollar monthly fee...
It sucks not working for Comcast Full time...lol Usually they give there employees everything for free... I just mainly work in the T.V stations and our local comcast station moved further away so its more part time now when they need my help... They never paid that well anyway.. ha ha

Last edited:
Limbo said:
The Model is a Samsung LN-R238WA. If you can find something to help that'd be amazing. I don't know very much about TV's.

Here are your Specs on that Model

Product Features and Technical Details

HD-ready widescreen LCD television with 23-inch PVA screen; 23 x 17.4 x 3.5 inches (W x H x D) without stand
1,366 x 768 native pixel resolution; accepts HD signals up to full 1080i; includes HDMI and PC inputs
Amazing 3,000:1 contrast ratio, high 500 cd/m2 brightness, broad 170-degree viewing angles (H x V)
Samsung DNIe (Digital Natural Image engine) enhances images; features a 181-channel NTSC tuner
3 watts per channel x 2; SRS TruSurround XT simulates dynamic surround sound from any 2 speakers
Technical Details
Color: Black with silver accents
Screen size: 23 inches
TV type: TFT LCD with Samsung's Patterned Vertical Alignment (PVA) screen
HDTV capable: Yes
Aspect ratio: 16:9
3:2 pulldown detection: No
Speaker wattage per channel: 3
Number of speakers: 2
Digital-cable-ready: No
Flash-memory port: No
Includes radio: No
Comb filter: 3D Y/C digital
Signal type: NTSC (480i, 480p), decoded ATSC (720p, 1080i)
Picture enhancements: DNIe, brightness sensor, My Color Control
Picture modes: Custom/Standard/Dynamic/Movie, plus zoom modes for: Wide/Panorama/Zoom 1/Zoom 2/4:3
Sound modes: Standard, Music, Movie, Speech, Custom
Picture freeze: Yes
Closed captioning: Yes
Multilingual menu: English, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Parental control: V-Chip
Picture-in-picture (PIP): Yes (single-tuner with split-screen mode)
Remote control: Yes
SAP: Yes
Sleep timer: Yes (max 360 minutes)
Auto power off: Yes
Surround sound: SRS TruSurround XT
VGA/SVGA input: 1 x D-Sub 15-pin (VGA~WXGA)
Audio outputs: 1 stereo analog (left/right) RCA
Audio inputs: 5 stereo analog (left/right) RCA, 1 stereo minijack (for PC)
Video outputs: 0
Video inputs: 8
Headphone jack: Yes (.125-inch)
Digital video input: 1 (HDMI)
Component video: 2 (480i/480p/720p/1080i)
Composite video: 2
S-video: 1
RF: 1
Other ports: Anynet (RS-232C) remote component linking (with other Samsung AV equipment)
Monitor: No (includes NTSC tuner)
Pixels: 1,366 x 768
Contrast ratio: 3,000:1
Brightness: 500 cd/m2
Dot pitch: Information not available
Horizontal viewing angle: 170 degrees
Vertical viewing angle: 170 degrees
Response time: 12 ms
Lamp life: 60,000 hours
Color temperature control: Yes (Cool2, Cool1, Standard, Warm1, Warm2)
Front AV jacks: No
Side AV jacks: No
Sound leveler system: Yes
Wall mountable: Yes, VESA (100 mm x 200 mm)
Power supply: AC 100 to 120, 60 Hz
Power consumption: 100 watts (standby: less than 1 watt)
Energy Star compliant: Yes
UPC: 036725 2 2380 6
Item width: 23 inches
Item height: With stand: 19.1 inches; without stand: 17.4 inches
Item depth: With stand: 8.1 inches; without stand: 3.5 inches
Item weight: 19 pounds

Based on the info its going to look best with 720p/1080i resolution... Honestly i dont understand why 480p in 16:9 would look bad at all on that t.v. specially being just 23 inches, It could be something acctually wrong with your T.V., Make sure you have quality cables hooked into the t.v. from the Wii...

If that doesn't work you can still try this

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/composite-to-hdmi-converter.html

He has awsome products for a good price,look around at his other scalers/upconverters, just try to find one that ends up converting whatever style input you decide to go with over to 1080i for your best picture possibal....Alot of the smaller HD t.v's are just upgraded Computer monitors... They were never originally intended for t.v. signal and they may have skimped out on fixing that issue... could be why your having such problems...

Last edited:
Sterculius said:
ok, in an update to my previous post...I just got component cables for my wii and am currently running it in HD. It looks absolutely gorgeous!!! So its definitely a TV issue, not HD or Wii.
The component cables are providing a higher-quality signal to the TV for it to upconvert the Wii's SD signal to the TV's HD display, so it's doing a better job. In fact, makes even more sense if you're also now running the Wii at 480p vs. 480i as a non-interlaced signal would be easier to up-convert.

I don't understand how someone can say "don't listen to that guy who says it's the SD graphics" and then immediately follows with "I don't really know much about TVs". If you don't know much, you're not in a position to discredit those of us who do.

sremick said:
The component cables are providing a higher-quality signal to the TV for it to upconvert the Wii's SD signal to the TV's HD display, so it's doing a better job. In fact, makes even more sense if you're also now running the Wii at 480p vs. 480i as a non-interlaced signal would be easier to up-convert.

ya i know, i was just saying mine worked so it can't be an issue of the Wii's graphics or the SD going to HD. Must be the guys TV.

Its really nobodys fault... for the past 50 years the biggest advancement in T.V.'s was from Black and White into Color...

T.V.'s have always been in a world of there own in terms of technology. It's not like computers doubling its own power every couple years... All you had to do was go to the store with a size in mind then pick the one with the best picture hopefully it would last you a good 5-10 years... Simple...

But with the intorduction of the DTV switch and with it HDTV,EDTV Format, allowing for use of what use to be computer technology of the LCD and Plasma displays, now its more like buying a computer than buying a T.V.

You have to research very carefully, look at compatability, and hope the model you pick wont be obsolete in the next couple years! A lot of people are going to get burned by HDTV's im afraid, and its really not all there fault, the industry is just hunting for sales in what they see as a new market and there is no set answer on whats going to be the new standard 5-10 years from now...

They are just loving the spike in sales because of the rush to get the new technology... Something they couldn't offer before because there was no garantee it would be supported...
The FCC should have had strict Clasifications and rules in place before they ever aloud DTV ready t.v's to hit the market. I'm not saying limit the technology but to better organize it for the public to understand.

Back