Next gen DS on the way?

jimm22

WiiChat Member
Sep 17, 2009
Michigan, USA
Wii Online Code
1762-9966-7272-2671
It looks like Nintendo is readying the next generation of DS with the help of nVidia. According to reports from Bright Side of News, the company has already started to work on the next iteration of the handheld gaming console that will debut sometime next year.

According to our confidential sources, Nintendo is going to use Tegra System-on-Chip processor for the successor of DS/DSi handheld console. Unlike the current design, nVidia offered a single-chip proposal to Nintendo, a company famous for keeping the hardware platform absolutely simple.

Given the fact that Nintendo DS hardware is based upon 16-bit and 32-bit ARM cores, it looks like Next-Gen DS could be backwards compatible with the DS application library. According to our sources, all of the apps that came for old DS could run on a single ARM11 core, yet alone the next-gen CorTex-A9-based Tegra, leaving graphics subsystem to do "something smarter".

Currently, we have no information what exact chip is being used [just that nVidia won the contract], but with the debut set for February 2010, the second generation of Tegra chips could make an excellent base [to be launched at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona].

nVidia Tegra wins contract for next-gen Nintendo DS - Bright Side Of News*

Sucks for those who bought a DSi.

Nintendo has not even announced a new handheld, much less a release date. Until Nintendo says something, everything is all just rumor.

Plus it looks like the Feb. 2010 date refers to the chip's release, not the next DS.

Earlier in the same article it said:
As the time passed by, Nintendo started to work on the successor of its handheld console with a debut planned for late 2010 [Tokyo Game Show 2010?]. According to our confidential sources, Nintendo is going to use Tegra System-on-Chip processor for the successor of DS/DSi handheld console. Unlike the current design, nVidia offered a single-chip proposal to Nintendo, a company famous for keeping the hardware platform absolutely simple.

And even if that's accurate, that doesn't mean that's when the next handheld is released for sale, just when it's first shown to the public. A release could be many months later after that (well into 2011 by that point).

Wow, do we really need an even bigger DS? Seriously, I'd prefer it to remain a handheld.. Not that I'd buy a new DS, I'm sticking with my DS phat untill it's broken or untill there's a REAL new generation (not just two cameras stuck onto it :p)

OT: Even if it's leaked now, this is just the chips. So it could easily take 2-3 years for it to be ready.

I read this elsewhere as well, I don't think they'd release another new version of the DS (the big DSi) and then a few month later launch an all new system, at the least you can expect to see a full year go by before they announce anything, probably more, let alone release it.

wow prinplub always has the facts good work keep it up.

When they do make a new one i want it to be the same size as the dsi but with a bigger top screen.I want the bouth screens to be hi-def and the cameras to be at least 2 megapixels and have video recording capability WITH ZOOM AND KNIGHT VISION.Also i wish nintendo would give up that stupid aac file thing and allow mp3 &mp4 vidio & audio playback.Skype would be greate more built in memory for better web browsing.And please stop making the games to play with WEP only,let them use different encriptions like the dsi & a strong battery ot push all that.Thats my wish List.

Knight Vision?
Is that to help you determine if the Black Knight is attacking? Better call King Arthur!

But seriously, you're describing a PDA or a smart phone (without the phone part).

And AAC is used because there are no licensing fees like with MP3.

Knight Vision?
Is that to help you determine if the Black Knight is attacking? Better call King Arthur!

But seriously, you're describing a PDA or a smart phone (without the phone part).

And AAC is used because there are no licensing fees like with MP3.

:lol:

Back