Nintendo's 'secret war' on Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Store

wezeles said:
But look at Nintendo's own list of classic games! they stay in original form no changes and still sell great.

For XBLA/PSN you see some cool classic's updated with improved graphics and alot also have online play tacked on. They improve on it so much it's borderline a New game with a retro feel. So which game would you buy?
The cheep new one based on an old classic you liked?
Or the cheep New game you never heard of?

Most Gamers arn't risky with there money and get burned far to often on a "low priced game," so they go with what they trust.
Of the list of best sellers 250,000 or more for XBLA 90% are remakes of classics, and with how much you have to sell to make a profit I wouldn't blame any dev for ditching this setup.

It's a better overall move to let the "New guys" come out with the new idea's when it comes to your cheeper downloadable content games. At the least keep them seperate from the classic and retro games in some way.

There's a reason why I said "It's Understandable" I already know why they find it unfair to compete with retro games.

Also you act like its a bad thing to upgrade retro game. I rather have an updated retro game than the exact same one. Especially when you can download most retro games on the internet for free.

Does updated retro games automatically make them inferior to the originals?

Wiinter said:
It's a dumb argument on their part. The VC may be separate from WiiWare, but the competition for Wii Points between new and legacy titles is still there. Does XBLA not have sections that divide new and retro?

No, they don't have sections that divide them. But like you said, WiiWare and VC still compete for the same Wii points so it's the same.

I just think Nintendo is busy as hell right now. I haven't seen the N this busy since NES. I read in an old interview that Nintendo was thinking of updating retro games. But with the Wii's massive success I think they bit off more than they could chew. They never forcasted sales this damn high.
I'm sure Nintendo wants to update its storage compatibility and offer an updated or even a new Super Mario Bros. but they can't. They got too much on their plate.

Caliko said:
I'm sure Nintendo wants to update its storage compatibility and offer an updated or even a new Super Mario Bros. but they can't. They got too much on their plate.

They've repeatedly claimed they don't want to add a hard drive or any other space expansion. For over a year, they've stubbornly insisted that the best solution is to delete games you're not playing and redownload them later when you want to play again.

Not that it's difficult. They can farm out driver development to someone else. Release a driver that makes your standard usb drive accessible.

They're also in a position profit-wise to hire companies to update VC content. It's not as easy to do, but it's doable.

It's time to stop complaining about making money hand over foot and start investing it in their gamers. We scratched their back. Their turn.

Back