Nyko Fan will not stop you from getting the RRoD

FRuMMaGe

Waluigi's #1 Fan!
Dec 18, 2006
England
Wii Online Code
2482-6460-3144-9934
Just wanted to post this to shut up the people who think the 360 is indestructible as long as you have a cooling fan.

The Nyko runs of the power of the xbox and apparently it puts such a strain on the power consumption that it actually makes overheating MORE likely. :yesnod:

NEW NEWS
Thanks wii allready know that addons like this are a waste of time/cash

Last edited:
Nah, thats just speculation. In fact the problems people had with Nyko coolers were the older ones. The whole thing was made of plastic (even the plug part) and it would melt on to your Xbox and mess it up. It also voided your warranty. But the newer ones have metal plugs which do not do that. But some people still don't trust it so they rewire the cooler to a adapter so it runs on seperate power. Though there isn't any proof that the cooler strains the console.

So when it still does get RRoD thats what people blame it on, but coolers dont prevent them, it just helps.

T3kNi9e said:
Nah, thats just speculation. In fact the problems people had with Nyko coolers were the older ones. The whole thing was made of plastic (even the plug part) and it would melt on to your Xbox and mess it up. It also voided your warranty. But the newer ones have metal plugs which do not do that. But some people still don't trust it so they rewire the cooler to a adapter so it runs on seperate power. Though there isn't any proof that the cooler strains the console.

So when it still does get RRoD thats what people blame it on, but coolers dont prevent them, it just helps.
Q: Do you think that third party fans like the Nyko Intercooler will make things worse? Are they snake oil? I personally have plastic Tiki figures around my Xbox to ward off any evil spirits and so far they have done better in protecting than some of the fan coolers that you see at Gamestop.
A: I don't know, I'd have to test them. But I'll give you some thoughts. In order for those fans to do any good, they would have to increase the volume of air coming through the box w/o adding heat. I think those things are powered through the USB hub, which is specced at 5 volts, 1/2 an amp. So very little heat added. But the piggybacked fan would have to run at a higher volume that the box fan in order to unload it and make it spin faster, pulling more air over the heatsinks. Would be an easy test to run. Just tape a dry cleaning bag to the back with and w/o the extra fan and time how long to fill. Or if you have access to one, an anemometer is a test instrument that measures airflow and would give a more accurate reading.
Note : the Nyko Intercoolers draws power from the 360 power-source and it looks like surefire way to potentially make things worse.

----------------------

(from an inside source)

Old news, and for those who don't believe it, how else is it going to work unless it uses some of the power that is meant to go to the 360? Think about it.

blueovalboy7 said:
Old news, and for those who don't believe it, how else is it going to work unless it uses some of the power that is meant to go to the 360? Think about it.
exactly.

This is obviously aimed at the endless supply of idiots who act all smug because of their Nyko fan :lol:

I know it draws power, but since there's no actual test I can do, I don't know how much power it draws or if it affects it. But I don't use Nyko cooler, I use Pelican cooler and I dont use it to cool my xbox, I use it for the VGA output so I can have a cheap subtitute for HD gaming instead of buying a plasma/LCD TV.

If it overheats, truthfully I don't really care. I have a Wii and PS3 to keep me busy while its repaired. In 3 years a new console may already be released or soon to be. If not, then the 360 will be pretty cheap by then and I think ill be living in my own apartment if things go as planned.

Back