Orange Livebox

Stano1

WiiChat Member
Dec 10, 2006
London
I have had my WII since the launce date (8/12/06) and in all this time I have been unable to connect to the internet via my Orange Livebox. I have tried ever possible thing I know (which is considerable as work in IT). I have taken the wii to a mates house and it connected to the internet via his router in seconds! That was really infuriating! Does anyone have or has had a similar problem with the Orange Livebox and if so how did they solve?

Is there anyone out there that can please help!! I need to get onto that virtual console!

You can use the Orange/Wanadoo livebox. Try it with your WEP protection turned off to begin with.

When you do turn on encryption, I think the livebox needs to be set to WEP only (rather than WEP & WPA), but I could be wrong.

Remember, you need to press the "1" button on the livebox and the wireless light needs to be flashing in order for your Wii to "see" it. This discovery mode times out after 10 minutes.

This definitely can be done, I set it up for a mate a while back.

[EDIT] Your WEP key is printed on a sticker underneath the livebox, it's a 26 digit code if i recall correctly. (Remember there are only A-F and 0-9, no "O's" ;)

Last edited:
Stano1 said:
I have had my WII since the launce date (8/12/06) and in all this time I have been unable to connect to the internet via my Orange Livebox. I have tried ever possible thing I know (which is considerable as work in IT). I have taken the wii to a mates house and it connected to the internet via his router in seconds! That was really infuriating! Does anyone have or has had a similar problem with the Orange Livebox and if so how did they solve?

Is there anyone out there that can please help!! I need to get onto that virtual console!

Not to change the subject but youve had your Wii since August?:tard:

Stano1 said:

Hi everyone, just to let u all know that I've solved the problem with my wii. I changed the security from WEP and WPA to WEP only. Restarted the router, ran the test and was connected in seconds!! Thanks for your help everyone!

Turned firewall off. Turned it on WEP only still dident work.

Ill try it again I spose seeing last time I entered aload of stupid numbers Nintendo told me to put.

glad to hear you got it working! but my livebox won't connect properly, my wii will only connect if i restart the livebox each time, if i enter a game, or go into a channel and then try to test the connection or use a net channel the connection has dropped. At first I had security on and it wouldn't connect at all, so i have no security at all, with firewall off, got connection at last, but then gave me this drop out problem.
Anyone have anymore ideas?

If I remember correctly, the livebox has an internal list of connected devices. I know there are a lot of different versions of the live box out there, but when you do manage a connection, what does it see your Wii as ??

it doesnt see the wii at all in its list, just my laptop, even after trying to pair both the wii and livebox.

I'm asuming he is British who (like me an Australian) write dates with the day of the month first then the number of the month then the year

If you put your Livebox into discovery mode (press the "1" button and make sure that the wireless light is blinking) then tell your Wii to search for wireless networks, the Wii should find the livebox. Even if you can't connect to it, you should be able to see it, and it will have a little padlock next to the network icon. Then if you select that one, it should ask you for the WEP key which is on a sticker underneath the Livebox. For now, see if your Wii can at least see the livebox. You did say earlier that you nearly had them connected once.

When I use my Wii to search for networks it finds at least 5, I guess my neighbours are all on wireless too.

If your devices still can't see each other after doing this, I would suggest powering them both down for a few minutes and trying again. (buy powering down, I don't mean standby, I mean totally disconnect from the mains).

Note that your Wii can still connect to the livebox even if the livebox isn't connected to the net. Having WPA/WEP security turned on (on the Livebox) won't stop the Wii seeing it, it will just stop it connecting.

Sssmally said:
Turned firewall off. Turned it on WEP only still dident work.

Ill try it again I spose seeing last time I entered aload of stupid numbers Nintendo told me to put.

Hey mate,

if you are having trouble with your Orange live box here's what I did (after days of fiddling):

Log on to the orange livebox as admin.

leave the firewall setting on medium.

Select 'security' and chose the 'wireless connection option' Change the channel from 1 to 11 or if it already on 11 then change it to 1.

Under 'configuration' select 'advanced' then select 'wireless'. Change the security to the WEP only option. once you aply this change all pc's etc connected to you network will be disconnected.

Wait for the router to restart and go into pairing mode (about 90 secs).

Retart your pc, log back in and check to make sure you have an internet connection.

On your wii go into the internet option (via settings) and select one of the 3 connections.

Clear all the settings for that connection.

Go through the steps for creation a new set up i.e search for SSID. Attype of security select WEp and put in the wep key (26 characters).

Optain IP and DNS addresses automatically and save the settings

Run the test and you should connect within 30 secs.

Thanks for your replies, but still having same problem, i get a net connection (send mail, browse net, shop, everything) for about 20 mins (i think, it could be random) then it just stops connecting to net. It always finds my livebox in the list, so it must be the livebox thats having the problem, though my laptop has never lost a connection to the net through it.
Also theres two ways I get connected to net again with wii, if i restart the livebox it'll connect again, or if i press the pairing button on the livebox and search for the it with wii again (but of course the net yet again drops out eventually)

Back