Pay and Play: Free wi-fi gaming comes to an end for some

Belmont

WiiChat Member
Jan 27, 2007
Murray Kentucky
Wii Online Code
8288-8038-4521-3885
http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/02/nintendo-to-beg.html

This link will take you to an article telling you about their new pay to play system. This means that some games will now cost money to play online. To pay you will use wii points of course. I would be excited about this other than it means some of the games we play in the future will cost us money to play online and well thats one reason i bought the wii to play games online for free because i dont do it that often so i dont want to pay when i do.

On the other hand this might introduce downloadable content which would be really nice.

Maybe it could bring DLC for Nintendo games, but not 3rd party games since all that money goes to Nintendo.

Edit: Actually maybe not since it won't be pay for playing online games as a whole, but individual games. No doubt all the good games worth playing are the ones you will need to pay for. Luckily SSBB is already scheduled for release, so no one has to worry about that, I think...

Last edited:
well i dont think the people posting under that article were understanding it. It sounded like a few of them thought it meant you had to pay to play the actual game. I think its going to be fine i just have a feeling that they did this because they are going to have to open massive servers for the MMO Animal Crossing. The plus side for them is that it would attract third party developers to make more online games cause they would be able to make more money. The fact that we use wii points wont change where the money eventually ends up.

If we dont support it then we wont get anything better the second time around they will just scrap online play cause they dont like it anyways so i for one will be supporting as much as i can

Lemme just put it this way, I don't get things online unless its fantastic. I have a budget here unlike some.

oh i know how you feel i dont have money either but i have a feeling that when Animal Crossing comes out there are going to be some major changes. This is just their first step in changing things

Well I get your point but AC seems the most worthwhile. Otherwise this kind of seems like some kind of scheme. Like for 3rd party support or a cheap casual buck.

Yeah i totally agree I am just trying to see something good out of this. Nintendo usually handles things very well and makes a quality product. I have been extremely disappointed with the online gaming with the Wii. Not that it matters too much cause i would rather play with my friends in the room with me but thats not always possible. I just really hope Nintendo is not taking a turn for the worse here because they had been progressing pretty well. Who knows maybe this is the first step to attract more hardcore gamers. I could see this pushing the casual gamer out of the minds of publishers for a while. I mean they should be busy with WiiFit anyways.

there will still be fee wi-fi, there just giving an option of paying for a better online experiance, im guessing voice chat for one of the features

Back