PC downstairs wii upstairs?

bradleyb900

WiiChat Member
Feb 4, 2007
OK so i got a wii on friday for my birthday and i really wanna connect it to the internet. I dont have wireless internet. I have a phone socket at the top of the stairs, is it possible to plug the connector into this or do i have to run the cable all the way downstairs to my computer and to my modem.

Thanks for the help

¬__¬ No wireless, there's no points getting it just to use for wii, when i dont know if i'll even use the internet on it.

I have my Wii right next to my PC. Nothing better than being able to listen to movies while working, and playing video games while rendering or eating food. Never eat near your comp!

A wireless router is a far better long term deal than the dippy nintendo Wifi adapter.

so i can use a wireless router even if i dont have wireless internet. correct?

bradleyb900 said:
so i can use a wireless router even if i dont have wireless internet. correct?
a wireless router is wireless internet, what you do is you buy a wireless router, unplug the wire from your broadband modem or other source of internet connection (cable modem, DSL modem, T1 port) and the computer, plug the internet source into the WAN connection, or port 1 if no WAN connection, then plug your computer into port 1, or port 2 if 1 is used for modem, log into router using one of the following IP addresses in interenet explorer or any other internet browser

http://192.168.1.1
http://192.168.0.1
http://192.168.2.1

set the required settings and change your SSID to a word you make up, the SSID is the name you look for when looking for the wireless router, point (in this case) your Wii to that SSID and have it be assigned an IP and connect, then download, browse, or do any internet thing to your heart's content

sagema said:
I have my Wii right next to my PC. Nothing better than being able to listen to movies while working, and playing video games while rendering or eating food. Never eat near your comp!

youve got the same set up as i do! LMAO! too funny! and no, never put a glass of liquor next to your laptop and then knock it over while playing the wii!!! lucky for me i havent done that yet!:ee5k:

bradleyb900 said:
ok im not very good with this sort of stuff i have basic knowledge but that is it. I have a linksys wireless router and an NTL modem (ntl:250) if someone could dumb down an explaination that would be great. Thanks

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/141/ntl-release-new-broadband-modem My NTL Modem
Sorry that it is separated into 3 different images, I tried to put them all as 1 but the program I use to edit pictures dosen't work very well, anyway

So i'm guessing that your current setup is like in number 1? (cable modem plugged directly into the back of your computer), if everything is hooked up correctly, it should look like number 2, follow your directions that some with the router, it may tell you to run off a CD that it comes with, do so, once it is finished setting up, it should look similar to this
part1.jpg

on the back of the router should be a WAN port and 4 network ports
routerback.jpg

after you have everything set up, type in the IP for your router into your favroite interent browser, some common router login IPs are

the normal IP for Linksys brand routers is 192.168.1.1 if it is a linksys click here to log in, a dialog box should come up, some routers like BELKIN routers don't use a dialog box for logging in, but others like Linksys do, look in your directions for your username and password to log in, the common login for Linksys routers is

Username:-blank-
Password:admin

if you logged in correctly, a page similar to this should show up
router.jpg

go in and change the needed settings, have it successfully save the new settings, and click out of the window, some common settings that you might need to set up the Wii are

-Change wireless channel to 1
-Set wireless option to wireless B&G mixed
-Change the SSID to something like a last name or a favroite word, the SSID is what tells you what network you are logging into

Read the router's directions for more information, after you have completed all of the setup and settings, go through the wireless setup on the Wii, do a connection test (don't update yet), open shop channel multiple times, make sure you have no connection errors, if you do, chances are there is an incorrect setting on the router, if you log into shop channel multiple times with no problem, do a connection test again and update

gamechaser001 said:
Sorry that it is separated into 3 different images, I tried to put them all as 1 but the program I use to edit pictures dosen't work very well, anyway

So i'm guessing that your current setup is like in number 1? (cable modem plugged directly into the back of your computer), if everything is hooked up correctly, it should look like number 2, follow your directions that some with the router, it may tell you to run off a CD that it comes with, do so, once it is finished setting up, it should look similar to this
part1.jpg

on the back of the router should be a WAN port and 4 network ports
routerback.jpg

after you have everything set up, type in the IP for your router into your favroite interent browser, some common router login IPs are

the normal IP for Linksys brand routers is 192.168.1.1 if it is a linksys click here to log in, a dialog box should come up, some routers like BELKIN routers don't use a dialog box for logging in, but others like Linksys do, look in your directions for your username and password to log in, the common login for Linksys routers is

Username:-blank-
Password:admin

if you logged in correctly, a page similar to this should show up
router.jpg

go in and change the needed settings, have it successfully save the new settings, and click out of the window, some common settings that you might need to set up the Wii are

-Change wireless channel to 1
-Set wireless option to wireless B&G mixed
-Change the SSID to something like a last name or a favroite word, the SSID is what tells you what network you are logging into

Read the router's directions for more information, after you have completed all of the setup and settings, go through the wireless setup on the Wii, do a connection test (don't update yet), open shop channel multiple times, make sure you have no connection errors, if you do, chances are there is an incorrect setting on the router, if you log into shop channel multiple times with no problem, do a connection test again and update
wanna have my friend code? JKJKJKJKJKJKJ HEHEHHE ID ON"TEOH VHAEVJ AHV AWIIII I DON"T HAV E A WII SDLFJLWEJOFEHWOFWEOIJFWEOJFWE

Back