Possible to connect Wii via wireless ad-hoc network?

chsoriano

WiiChat Member
Nov 14, 2006
College Station, TX
Wii Online Code
2361-7492-7880-5734
I was wondering if it is possible to connect the Wii to a wireless ad-hoc network created using my laptop's wireless. I am not allowed to have a wireless router (I live in a dorm) and am hoping I can still connect it to the internet through my wireless laptop. Any advice?

Chris

No, get a wifi usb adapter for your laptop. Your laptop is either going to be acting as an ad-hoc host, or it's going to be connected via LAN. Not both at once.

I don't get it... why can't I have my laptop connected to my LAN and act as an ad-hoc host? I just did it yetsteday, I connected a couple of other laptops through my laptop... isn't that almost the same thing?

Because unless your laptop is wifi enabled, it won't be deteced as a WiFi hot spot. And When I say via LAN. I mean connected to the internet via Ethernet. Your network adapter is either going to be using an internet connection, or a wireless Ad-Hoc connection.

Last edited:
Oh... I thought I could just connect to the internet through my LAN, create an ad-hoc wireless network, bridge the connections, enable ICS, and connect the Wii to the ad-hoc network.

chsoriano said:
Oh... I thought I could just connect to the internet through my LAN, create an ad-hoc wireless network, bridge the connections, enable ICS, and connect the Wii to the ad-hoc network.
I think that's right. but I'm not sure. It makes sense to me. The only thing is that you would need to remember to set the gateway IP in the Wii to the IP address of your Wireless card. I think. Networking is not my specialty... yet...

Last edited:
chsoriano said:

If you have a nic and a wireless card you can do that, as long as you make sure to statically assign the ip information.

Then again if you have both cards and you already know how to setup an ad-hoc...than why did you even have to ask?

Last edited:
I just wasn't sure if I could do it... and I don't have my Wii yet so I can't figure it out first hand. I don't really have much experience networking. I'm just going to give it a shot. When you say to assign a static IP address... do you mean telling the Wii exactly how to connect? Is that assuming that we are going to have that option on the Wii?

Well your going to have to fill in the ip and gateway and i believe subnet mask info. Because it's not like having a router where you have DHCP to assign it dynamically.

You should be fine.

If you can use WinXP ICS in bridge mode and your ISP or Local network gives you access to a DHCP server you should be fine without making any settings on the Wii.

This is exactly what the Nintendo Wi-fi dongle does on your PC.

Well I'll be using Vista... but I get the idea, I think I should be able to figure it out. Thanks for the advice. Just in case, I'll be sure to let you all know if I get it to work come Sunday. :)

Sorry if I am an idiot, but I am confused.

If I have internet, but don't have wireless, do I need to buy something to hook it up to my router?

I have seen some info that says that the Wii will come with a LAN adapter or something like that. (I don't even know what LAN is.) Maybe that is only in Japan though.

Also, I was thinking about getting the wireless thing for the DS. Will that work for my Wii as well?

I am at a loss. I have no internet skills, and will be kinda upset if the internet function on my Wii doesn't work when I get it.

Tacos said:
Sorry if I am an idiot, but I am confused.

If I have internet, but don't have wireless, do I need to buy something to hook it up to my router?

I have seen some info that says that the Wii will come with a LAN adapter or something like that. (I don't even know what LAN is.) Maybe that is only in Japan though.

Also, I was thinking about getting the wireless thing for the DS. Will that work for my Wii as well?

I am at a loss. I have no internet skills, and will be kinda upset if the internet function on my Wii doesn't work when I get it.

The "internet function" just means it can be used on the internet, it doesn't gurantee it. The lan adapter doesnt come with it. So you either have to buy one, or you have to connect your wii wirelessly. I'd recommend googling up some info on wireless routers or lan adapters.

vagrant said:
The "internet function" just means it can be used on the internet, it doesn't gurantee it. The lan adapter doesnt come with it. So you either have to buy one, or you have to connect your wii wirelessly. I'd recommend googling up some info on wireless routers or lan adapters.

Thanks and sorry.

I have already found some info on this site that has helped me.

oooohhhh boy....

ok....i've got internet sharing up and its working....but....my wii won't connect...i've done everything i can think of :idea: ...and i really want to update it....HEEEEELLLLLPPPPP!!!! please...

Back