PS3 to get even better at taking your money with add-on credit card reader

dedpoet777

\/\/ii'd Out For Life
Dec 20, 2006
Surfside Beach, SC
Wii Online Code
0792-2476-6769-9631
Article:
If there's anything Sony is really good at, it's devising new ways to take your money. The new PS3 firmware that was released this morning, version 1.5, includes support for swiping your credit card right into your console. Yes, video game consoles have gotten so nickel and dimey that it makes sense to have a credit card reader built right in. What the hell is going on?

Luckily for my blood pressure, this update is Japan only… for now. If it catches on there you can be damned sure that Sony won't hesitate before trying to sell us this new "feature." Here's an idea, Sony: let people buy games and enjoy them without having to constantly pay extra. You never had to pay for extra levels in Super Mario World, after all. — Adam Frucci

source of article http://blog.scifi.com/tech/archives/2007/01/24/ps3_to_get_even.html

all i can say is wow. someone want some money? sony does... they are also jacking the price up in canada by 50 bucks...why? because it is actually selling... http://www.gamersreports.com/news/4876/sony-raises-ps3-price-in-canada/

edit--- the link above about them raising the price in canada was false. sony did not raise the price, but some retailers are raising the price. here is the article with the updated news:

Source: A short story at Gamers Reports pointing to product listings at the online stores of Best Buy and Future Shop.

What we heard: When Sony revealed that the price of the PlayStation 3 would be higher than any of its competitors, some thrifty gamers swore they would wait to pick up the machine until it dropped in price. Those gamers might have been surprised today to hear that the price of the PS3 had actually gone up.

Canadian online stores for Best Buy and Future Shop are currently listing the 60GB PS3's price as C$699.99 ($593), up from its original sale price of C$659.99 ($560). Assuming both stores didn't repeat the same typo on the same product at the same time, there's obviously some truth to the news. The question for prospective PS3 owners then became which is more unusual: reputable retailers like Best Buy and Future Shop charging a scalper's premium on desired products, or Sony embittering and driving away potential customers for the sake of a C$40 (more than $33) markup on recently released hardware.

A representative with GameStop offered some solace to northerners, stating, "Our EB Games locations in Canada will hold their current PS3 prices...C$549.99 for the 20GB and C$659.99 for the 60GB." So clearly not everyone is jacking up the price on the hardware, but that leaves the questions of whether or not Sony asked them to and why the price hikes are happening in the first place.

The official story: "Although the suggested retail price (SRP) of the PlayStation 3 in Canada has not changed, some Canadian retailers have chosen to increase their retail price as a result of the weaker Canadian dollar. This increase is solely at the discretion of the retailer, as Sony Computer Entertainment Canada has not issued a price increase."--An SCEC representative.

Bogus or not bogus?: Sony raising the price? Bogus. That the price has gone up at some stores? Not bogus.

source of corrected article:http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_b...d=25337080&sid=6164872&tag=latestnews;title;0

Last edited:
As much as I dispise Sony, they know how to create demand and make a buck. Seriously, they practically brainwashed an entire generation and brought one of the best developers of all time to their knees (SEGA). I'm not surprised at this addition, but I can see where they can argue the convenience factor here. Loyalty to your consumer or the bottom dollar? Which do you think Sony cares the most about? I know my answer.

thats just dumb. what a money grab, they'll probly release games where you have to keep buying stuff to win/be best lol.

Imo anybody stupid enought to own a credit card deserves to get their money taken from them.

Wii&Ps3 said:
Imo anybody stupid enought to own a credit card deserves to get their money taken from them.
so i take it you dont have one.

When i was 18 I got one because I thought it was the smart thing to do. The interest rate was about 9% which isnt horrible, but its just plain stupid. I had it for a couple of years but wised up and got rid of it.

Awwww In Canada? Really? Ohhh I wanted to play the new Square-Enix titles (KH3, FFXIII). I can still play my Wii though :) Ohhh but I've collected the Squre-Enix RPGs for so long. I had a PS2 and GameCube, I was a Sony and Nintendo fan. Why are they backing out on the people who still have lives? Why do they just like the undergrad bastards who keep failing because they stayed up all night playing Socom 3 and blow their money on more FPSs? I was sad when there were only more FF side-titles coming to the Wii. I'm just gonna lay in a corner and think about the time I wasted trying to collect and play all of the Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts games :(

I like my Wii.
I never liked Sony, I just needed a DVD player and more FF and the new KH games. The price and stuff was OK before but now its plain ridiculous!

Last edited:
Wii&Ps3 said:

Thats the stupidest statement I've ever heard. Credit cards are good for a variety of reasons. If you can't control yourself and be responsible thats when you shouldn't have a credit card. I've got a card with a $4000 spending limit. I've had it for 2 years now, my current balance is $25. I used it for gas the other day. Bottom line is if you can't afford something don't buy it.

That's not really an opinion, thats more of a flame towards people that do have them. Agreed that some people shouldn't have credit cards, but those of us that are responsible should if needed.

acphydro said:
Thats the stupidest statement I've ever heard. Credit cards are good for a variety of reasons. If you can't control yourself and be responsible thats when you shouldn't have a credit card. I've got a card with a $4000 spending limit. I've had it for 2 years now, my current balance is $25. I used it for gas the other day. Bottom line is if you can't afford something don't buy it.

That's not really an opinion, thats more of a flame towards people that do have them. Agreed that some people shouldn't have credit cards, but those of us that are responsible should if needed.
exactly

dedpoet777 said:
Article:
If there's anything Sony is really good at, it's devising new ways to take your money. The new PS3 firmware that was released this morning, version 1.5, includes support for swiping your credit card right into your console. Yes, video game consoles have gotten so nickel and dimey that it makes sense to have a credit card reader built right in. What the hell is going on?

Luckily for my blood pressure, this update is Japan only… for now. If it catches on there you can be damned sure that Sony won't hesitate before trying to sell us this new "feature." Here's an idea, Sony: let people buy games and enjoy them without having to constantly pay extra. You never had to pay for extra levels in Super Mario World, after all. — Adam Frucci

source of article http://blog.scifi.com/tech/archives/2007/01/24/ps3_to_get_even.html

all i can say is wow. someone want some money? sony does... they are also jacking the price up in canada by 50 bucks...why? because it is actually selling... http://www.gamersreports.com/news/4876/sony-raises-ps3-price-in-canada/
do you even have a ps3? because thatd be pretty sad if your bitching about something saying it brings up your blood pressure if you dont even own it

Sovieto said:
do you even have a ps3? because thatd be pretty sad if your bitching about something saying it brings up your blood pressure if you dont even own it

It's a quote..

acphydro said:

Agreed My Credit Card has a $500 limit, this is a deliberate stratergy, if i ever want to pay for something that is a thousand dollars, then i just put a thousand into it then press pay and it works fine

current balance is about $150 in credit, i get about 2 to 3 credit card applications in the mail every week as my credit rating is AAA, needless to say they all get ripped up and put in the bin

you dont have to have a 4000 dollar limit on your card, just insist that you only want 500, they will give it to you, all be it begrudgingly :sad:

yah its not really taking your money at all unless your an idiot, or they want little kids to swipe it but im sure you need the code or whatever, and ummm its kind of a plus so you dont have to get a prepaid card or whatever

Back