zeon9881

Slowly drifting away
Dec 10, 2006
My PSN is zein9881
Wii Online Code
7428-8550-5786-2492
yes their is another rumor that ps3 is gonna have a price drop on the 28th

im not surprised, seeing as how it only costs 400$ to make a system now

http://exgn.wordpress.com/2008/01/21/rumor-ps3-in-store-for-yet-another-price-drop/

Several posters at SlickDeals.net are reporting that the PS3 may have yet another price drop towards the end of the month. Many are rumoring that a $299 PS3 will be announced on January 28. SlickDeals.net is a website dedicated to providing consumers with the latest prices in electronics, breaking the news of both of the previous PS3 price drops and the 360 price drop a few weeks early, along with the CheapAssGamer forums.

Though it does seem early for this to occur, Sony did recently announce that the price of manufacturing of the PS3 did drop from $800 per unit at the launch to $400 currently. This is mainly due to the success of Blu Ray, especially with Warner Bros. going Blu Ray exclusive earlier this month. Now there are also rumors that Paramount found a loophole in their HD DVD exclusivity contract and will be going Blu Ray as well - leaving Universal and Dreamworks as the only remaining HD DVD studios.

Financially, the price cut makes sense, consoles have historically been sold at a loss until the tail end of their lifetime. The only consoles not sold at a loss are the Sega Saturn(sold at the price to manufacture) and the Nintendo Wii(sold at a $100 profit for Nintendo). Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony make most of its money off of game licensing, not the actual console. For every game released, they developer must pay $10,000 worth of licensing fees to Sony(its traditionally been $20,000 for all 3 companies, but this was another cut Sony made to encourage developers recently). They also make a bulk of their profit from peripherals, like memory cards and controllers.

Still, I personally think it may be a bit too early for another price cut.

no flaiming

this is good i guess, their slowly removing all the reason not to get a ps3, if this does happen which it probably willl seeing as how this is the site that reported ps3 price drops and 360 price drops several weeks before it happened

and im gonna post this very clearly because people have cripplyibility (i spelled that wrong) to say metal gear isnt exclusive, IT IS DAM IT

UPDATE:

OK their is a new rumor, now their saying that the ps3 that releases will be ceramic white 40GB for 299$!!!! and their also saying its conterpart the 40GB black will come down to 299$ and the 80GB however will only reduce by 50$ though its still a pricedrop,

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/01/22/fcc-filing-for-ps3-updated-with-white-model/

and the pics are from neogaf

http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=120272
---------
http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/24/b...-the-80gb-ps3/

ok now the rumor is geting pretty interesting!, best buy employes are reporting that 80GB and 40GB will be gone by 28th!, their saying supplys are running low! (credit goes to [DT])
--------

Article from Engadget this morning:

According to Ars Technica, Sony has some big plans for a PlayStation 3 refresh, starting with a phase-out of the 80GB model. According to an "inside source" -- which Ars claims has been consistently right on video game-related predictions -- the console-maker's new plot is starting to take shape, holding fast to a two-SKU approach on packages, upping the hard drive capacity on systems, and including the Dual Shock 3 controller. The new bundles will take the high / low road, with the source stating that the 40GB model will remain on shelves, while the 80GB, Spider-Man 3-inclusive system will disappear, only to be replaced with a 120GB or 160GB configuration. Of course, right now these are just words on a screen, though in light of Best Buy's recent stock changes, there certainly is an air of movement over at Sony.

thanks [DT], again

Last edited:
zeon9881 said:
no flaiming

I'm going to flame you for your horrendous spelling.

I kid, I kid :D

That's *very* interesting - my price point has always been <$300 (it has lots of complex math I won't go into :lol: ), but at $299, I might actually score one, even if it's JUST a BD player initially.

Good info! I'll be keeping an eye out.

[DT] said:
I'm going to flame you for your horrendous spelling.

I kid, I kid :D

That's *very* interesting - my price point has always been <$300 (it has lots of complex math I won't go into :lol: ), but at $299, I might actually score one, even if it's JUST a BD player initially.

Good info! I'll be keeping an eye out.
lol yes my grammar is bad, more than likly cause i dont go over it =)

zeon9881 said:
lol yes my grammar is bad, more than likly cause i dont go over it =)

That's cool, just bustin' your chops - forwarded the link to a buddy of mine who's on the cusp of a PS3 purchase like me.

I have like $500 of BestBoob gift certs sitting around here too - didn't really need anything specifically (was going to use them for a lens but bought it through Adorama).

I'm assuming that's the 40GB without PS2 emulation model (which is cool too as there are no PS2 games I will likely want to play).

[DT] said:
That's cool, just bustin' your chops - forwarded the link to a buddy of mine who's on the cusp of a PS3 purchase like me.

I have like $500 of BestBoob gift certs sitting around here too - didn't really need anything specifically (was going to use them for a lens but bought it through Adorama).

I'm assuming that's the 40GB without PS2 emulation model (which is cool too as there are no PS2 games I will likely want to play).

yes, ps3 has no ps2 support but it supports ps1(wierd)

and theirs only 2 usb ports but thats it

i doubt this is true...its just way to early for another price cut and they already have lost so much money...if this is true then they will be losing a lot more money..just doesnt seem right

Bliss said:
i doubt this is true...its just way to early for another price cut and they already have lost so much money...if this is true then they will be losing a lot more money..just doesnt seem right

I expect massive losses from SCE come end of January - if they do cut the price, I suspect no profits through 2009 (yes, '09). Warner subsidies, Fox subsidies, Disney subsidies, Lions Gate subsidies, etc., and the BD play looks like a deep, dark, cash sinkhole.

Still won't stop be from buying one at $299 though :lol:

Bliss said:

I can see a price cut. If the cost of making PS3's has been cut in half then you can cut the price of a PS3 and it would even itself out.

[DT] said:

yea it def wont stop a lot of people from finally picking one up.

Big_League_Slugger said:
I can see a price cut. If the cost of making PS3's has been cut in half then you can cut the price of a PS3 and it would even itself out.

yes true but again where is the money being made in that?? after all thats wat these companies are about.

Last edited:
These companies don't bank on making money from hardware sales anyway. The only console to be sold for a profit early in its lifecycle in years is the Wii. PS1, PS2, Xbox, 360, Gamecube, all sold at a loss early in their life. The money is made from liscencing software. Now, what Sony was losing initially from the PS3 was higher than any other console I can remember, maybe ever. But still, I think that cutting cost to even $50 below manufacturing would help sales in conjunction with the 2008 lineup.

I can't see a price cut coming in the next month or two. Summer is more likely. It might even be Fall before we see another price cut. It'd be great for Sony if they came through with one. Currently they are only $50 higher than the 360 and offer arguably a better value in terms of what is included.

[DT] said:
I expect massive losses from SCE come end of January - if they do cut the price, I suspect no profits through 2009 (yes, '09). Warner subsidies, Fox subsidies, Disney subsidies, Lions Gate subsidies, etc., and the BD play looks like a deep, dark, cash sinkhole.

lol

the reason why most people think that this price cut is true is cause of warner and the rest of them, their makin alot ofmoney, th BD sales have gone way up, that is no reason for sony not to do it

and to the guy up their, when their was rumor about 80GB sony denied it, when their was a rumor about 40GB they denied

its natural fora gaming company to deny a price cut,

Back