dedpoet777

\/\/ii'd Out For Life
Dec 20, 2006
Surfside Beach, SC
Wii Online Code
0792-2476-6769-9631
Sony finally realizes what is needed, a price-cut

PS3-300_245984m.jpg

Sony finally realized what they need to do to boost PS3 sales...a price-cut. They are now considering a lower price the the system for this coming year to help boost sales and return Sony's game division to profitability.

That may seem very counter-intuitive since they are already loosing money on the system, but it will be much better for Sony in the long run if they get more systems in the hands of consumers. The benefits for Sony would be:

* More system sales, which will lead to more purchasing of profitable games and accessories
* More publishers would want to make games for the system
* Increased video game market share, and it would help fend off the popularity of the Xbox 360 and Wii
* Increased Blu-ray install base, which would sell more of Sony's proprietary format

Sony should take a hard look at their sales figures and drop the PS3 price as much as possible to increase the adoption rate. This would be the best thing not only for Sony, but also for fans that want the system to become number one. Let's all hope the price-drop is sooner rather than later.

Sources
http://www.videogamevs.com/argument/448
http://www.mcvuk.com/Sony-considers-global-PS3-price-cut Votes: 2
http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=15122 Votes: 2

I don't really think a price cut is necessary, I realize that PS3 is expensive compared to the competitors but if you look at the price of Blu-ray players its an extremely good deal just on that basis alone. Not to mention its an amazingly powerful machine, with a lot of potential.

I heard the Blue ray machine in the PS3 is of a similar standard to a entry level dedicated one so why bother.

I's personally buy a Blue ray player on its on and get the top of the range one instead of some inferior crap.

I think Sony have gone too far this time.

People will buy them becasue their stupid fools that need brands.

DeathsHand said:
I don't really think a price cut is necessary, I realize that PS3 is expensive compared to the competitors but if you look at the price of Blu-ray players its an extremely good deal just on that basis alone. Not to mention its an amazingly powerful machine, with a lot of potential.

You're kidding right? There's no way Sony will be as successful as they were with the PS2 unless they lower the price. The 360 is available for cheaper and has most of the same games, so Sony should definitely lower the price if they want to compete. Heck, I'm not buying one until they do, and I'll bet I'm not the only one.

that will also hurt the company.... i mean they already lose a lot of cash

A price cut would be good, but a blu ray cut would be better, make it optional not an extra cost for a GAMES console.

Sony can't drop the system price. If they do they'll lose even more money. A price drop isn't an option for them. If they drop the price anymore they'd be losing drastic money. Is it a gamble they could take? Yes. But it would be a very costly one.

If Sony wants to get serious they should price drop their games! Blue ray is supposed to be cheaper to produce than DVD, that's why Sony supported the format.

One more thing. Blue ray players will drop in price year on year. Eventually becoming a repeat of $50 DVD players vs the $150 PS2s(back in the day).

Last edited:
Napalmbrain said:
You're kidding right? There's no way Sony will be as successful as they were with the PS2 unless they lower the price. The 360 is available for cheaper and has most of the same games, so Sony should definitely lower the price if they want to compete. Heck, I'm not buying one until they do, and I'll bet I'm not the only one.

You definately raise some interesting points, but I still think I'm going to buy one. By the way thanks for not attacking me personally haha.

By saying they'll price drop the PS3 we could get a 360 rumor repeat. A lot of people ignored buying a 360 because of the rumored $100 price drop. A rumor like this can go both ways. Sony needs to confirm it fast, or lose even more potential profit as people will wait.

Example: If Sony said they'd make the PS3 $200 next year, I'd consider buying it. Now let's say it doesn't drop in price. I'm still in the price drop mind set, and I'll be even more encouraged to wait. This is why I didn't buy a 360 yet.

I only plan to buy a PS3 when I can get it for about as much as I originally bought my PS2. Sorry Sony, but you're pretty screwed over with this whole über PS3 deal you have going down. I love my PS2, and I like the PS3. Just not enough to spend that kind of money on one.

I don't think that Sony should've included a Blu-Ray player in the PS3. Honestly -- I'm sure that at least half of the PS3 owners could live without the Blu-Ray player. It would cost so much less without the Blu-Ray player!

Honestly, I think that if the premium PS3 was $450 and the regular was $350, it would be totally worth it.

Wii is better, though!

uhhh, if they realized they need price cut, why did they make it $50 more in canada?
sony sucks

Back