Sony finally realizes what is needed, a price-cut

Here's all the latest info on the future PS3 price drop. My question is will this make the cell processor weaker? It sounds like a downgrade so Sony could save money. Will this mean the new processor in 2009 would be unable to play games like MGS4?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6165845.html

thoughtcrimnal84 said:
Sony is already losing 300 or 250 dollars on every PS3 sold. How much more should they lower the price ?????
to two dollars, and they should break, all of them, and slash the warrenty. That way, they would make it all up in repair costs.

lower price

thoughtcrimnal84 said:
Sony is already losing 300 or 250 dollars on every PS3 sold. How much more should they lower the price ?????

they should lower it enough so that they are hard to find everywhere, like the wii is still by me.. they'll easily make the money back on games and royalties from the technology.. it's just an embarrassment to sony saying how great their system is when the wii is outselling 3 to 1 sometimes 4 to 1 in areas with no end in sight

Michael Hardman said:
I heard the Blue ray machine in the PS3 is of a similar standard to a entry level dedicated one so why bother.

Where are you getting your source from? Every article I read comparing PS3's Blu-ray player to settop boxes all said the PS3 player is comparable if not superior to these other players.

krenshaw said:
http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/19/blu-ray-vs-hd-dvd-state-of-the-s-union-s-division/

interesting article.. didn't know blu ray has such a good backing.. maybe a good chance for it, as long as the price comes down pretty quick

Yes, Blu-ray have great support from studios, but HD-DVD is still leading in total number of discs sold. However, that gap have been closing rapidly since last November, when Blu-ray received a much needed boost from the launch of the PS3. I believe Blu-ray outsold HD-DVD by a whopping 20% in December and January. Some analysts are saying that this phenomenon is caused by the PS3's inclusion of a 15% off coupon for a Blu-ray disc purchase, but whether if it is coupon or not, with the gaps closing and a greater support from studios, Blu-ray is looking good as the next generation media.

yeah though i wouldn't be surprised if they both hang around for a while.. i doubt they'd ever need a full blu ray for movies of any sort, they would be more practical for computers and such.. since HD is so much cheaper it would make more sense to use them for things that don't need that freakin huge size

I'm surprised that no one has said this but don't you guys know that the PS3 is around $400 in Japan? And yet the Wii is still outselling? I think there will be a point where a price cut will do nothing. The way I see it, a price cut must occur before 2008 or else it won't matter.

RedProdigy said:
I'm surprised that no one has said this but don't you guys know that the PS3 is around $400 in Japan? And yet the Wii is still outselling? I think there will be a point where a price cut will do nothing. The way I see it, a price cut must occur before 2008 or else it won't matter.
the wii is also cheaper there, its a whole different economy;)

MysticGohan said:
if they do get a price cut they are going to take some stuff out like backward compatibility

yep they already did that to europe, which is a joke. i think that is the first time ever that a game console has been released and then had stuff taken off of it. how much money can they really save doing that anyway? they are such a joke, it just keeps getting worse and worse. apparently, their eyes were too big for peoples patience or pockets. they can learn a lot from nintendo because their sales clearly mean bigger and more graphics isnt always better.

xd i went to my local wal mart and say 3 ps3s in stock and tehn i went a week after and i say the same ps3 (i know cause i asked the lady that works there)

Back