PS3 to lose $307 per unit

COLDshiver

Wii Owner
Sep 14, 2006
America
Wii Online Code
4532-8683-6668-7765
Well, not good news for Sony fans but really good news for Nintendo :D

Not really anything special since many consoles lose money at first but gain later. Except the Wii however :lol:

This probably isn't good for me if this starts to hurt Nintendo since i'm a fan of all.

SOURCE

A 20-gigabyte version of PlayStation 3 costs almost $806
The 60-gigabyte model retails for $599 and costs $840

SO THE 20 COST LESS THAN 50 LESS TO MAKE YET THE 60 HAS A BUNCH OF MORE STUFF IN IT.

DNT BE SURPRISE IF THEY CANCEL THE 20 SOON.

HERES IS MORE DETAIL

iSuppli Corporation : Applied Market Intelligence

Last edited:
Equis said:
A 20-gigabyte version of PlayStation 3 costs almost $806
The 60-gigabyte model retails for $599 and costs $840

SO THE 20 COST LESS THAN 50 LESS TO MAKE YET THE 60 HAS A BUNCH OF MORE STUFF IN IT.

DNT BE SURPRISE IF THEY CANCEL THE 20 SOON.

HERES IS MORE DETAIL

iSuppli Corporation : Applied Market Intelligence

NOPE ure wrong it doesnt cost them $806 & $840
Because they dont sell them to retailers for $600 they sell them probrably like @ $250 $300 or maybe even less

Shadowpunk said:
NOPE ure wrong it doesnt cost them $806 & $840
Because they dont sell them to retailers for $600 they sell them probrably like @ $250 $300 or maybe even less
um no. they sell them or like $450 for the $500 version and $550 for the $600 version

well I have heard the same for the 360 and they are finally making a profit this past summer... anybody know how much wii would be losing/profiting per system?

wii isnt losing any money at all per unit. thats why they're smart.

lol, have you ever heard the term " you gotta spend money to make money"??? well with consoles, the technology get's cheaper to make

lloyd_yayo said:
wii isnt losing any money at all per unit. thats why they're smart.

This is only true if you do not take Research and Development into account. Nintendo are not losing money when it comes to the components, packaging and distribution, but Nintendo will yet to see a profit from this project.

You need to take into account R&D and promotion as costs which need to be deducted from the total sales of the units. Developing the Wii Remote can't of been cheap. Also, when looking at advertising, this is the first time (besides DS) that I've seen Nintendo advertise on UK TV.

They're losing money, like many other consoles at launch, but their betting on people to buy games to make up for it. But $300 worth of games? A little too much imo

COLDshiver said:
They're losing money, like many other consoles at launch, but their betting on people to buy games to make up for it. But $300 worth of games? A little too much imo
then again with a new wave of developers headed their way, who knows :thumbsup:

Yeah Sony has made a loss on every Playstation console they sell but their profits are kept in balance or are increasing due to their media marketing and dominance in movies and music industry

Last edited:
Man, the losing money thingy had happened with the PS2 as well, and it was the first console in sales out of the 3... Sony's real problem if you ask me is whether they will have the same profit they did with the ps2 on a longer term basis...

The console is jaw-droppingly powerful but waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too expensive... why get a ps3 when you can get a wii and 4-6 games (or even more, I have no idea regarding retail wii game prices) and have many times the fun?

Back