SD Card Question

laurie_lu

WiiChat Member
Sep 19, 2007
I recently received a 1GB SD card. I know the Wii can accept an SD card but I am unsure what it's main use is for. I realize the Wii has built in internal memory, so what sort of stuff can be saved to an added SD card? Is 1GB enough for this added stuff?

Okay I've been poking around as I had some questions too, so I took the plunge and did a poke;

- You can copy your virtual console games or save games onto it, BUT CAN NOT PLAY FROM IT

- Comes in handy if you are running out of room, so instead of going all the way through the VC store to download the game again, just copy the rom from the memory card back onto the wii.

Okay I guess others have found good uses for the memory card no? (besides photos)

laurie_lu said:
I recently received a 1GB SD card. I know the Wii can accept an SD card but I am unsure what it's main use is for. I realize the Wii has built in internal memory, so what sort of stuff can be saved to an added SD card? Is 1GB enough for this added stuff?
It's for playing music and videos on your Wii

The SD card in the wii has a few uses.

1 - Expansion to the onboard memory so you can copy any VC games or channels onto the SD card if you are running out of on-board memory. As pointed out previously, you cannot play games/use channels directly from the card. (Hopefully Nintendo can resolve this with a software update)
2 - Store photos/music/videos for use with the photo channel. Not all file types are suggested but Nintendo has listed those that are.
3 - A method of moving saved games between Wii consoles. ie play at someone else's house and you can take your unlocked characters etc with you.

Hopefully future games will also include downloadable content which would probably be too large for the internal memory and therefore SD cards would be used for storage.

Back