SMG unplayable on modded Wii's. "Stealth" chips detected.

Budo said:
Anyone stupid enough to try to play legit software on a machine capable of playing burned discs deserves their Wii bricked. But then again, I highly doubt anyone with that little intelligence would know how to install a mod chip in the first place.

EDIT: You don't do anything to the game with a mod chip. All it does is bypass ROM data inside the Wii.

I know how they work, I have modded many consoles.

At least Ninty arnt as vigilante as Microsoft when it comes to modding. Modded 360's can be detected over the internet and recieve a permenant ban (account and serial) from xbox live.

Old PS1 titles did this with modchip detection, which is why new modchips had to be made.

Even the SNES had games like this... later titles would refuse to boot if th elockout chip was disabled, necessitating installing a switch to turn it back on for those games. Then the lovely PAL/NTSC detection which would require another switch.

The Genesis, that was different. Sega was cheap and used the same hardware board for all regions, with a soldered trace over 2 jumpers, language, and TV signal. Cut the traces and install switches to complete the connection, and flip them for a region change.

I'm not in full support of region lockouts to begin with. I can understand PAL/NTSC hassles to a degree(though the factthe slim NES 2 will play Euro NES games is a good sign this is a non-issue as the TV output is handled by the console, not the game) but not language. Handheld systems lack these region lockouts completely.

KrisKhaos said:
Clearly this is an obvious win for Nintendo, but this is only one battle. The war wages on as it always has for years now, until one day someone finally comes up with a protection scheme that too far advanced for the would-be pirates to be able to crack.

They don't necessarily need the war to end and for them to come out on top. If Nintendo can just win small battle after small battle and drag things out enough, it will further taint the reputation of mod chips. That alone will keep a good number of people from taking the mod chip route.

cyberzomby said:
Yea its a great idea but wont work. They will just find a way around it or mod the game
Ideas generally have to work to be "great."

On a side note it's already working with three modchips.

lol, one of the Wii chips has already released a firmware update via dvd to play SMG. Only a matter of time before they're all updated.

SensesFail said:
lol, good idea Nintendo. Assholes who steal games deserve this. the only people who should have modded Wiis are the ones who pay the equivelent to $100.00 for a game (forget what country that is) cause thats just rediculous!
Fudge you and shut up! You don't know how it is in places where gaming marketing ain't very big. Here where I live a game costs $100 each! And some even more. I had a modded Wii before because I didn't want to pay so much for just 1 game which can turn out a crappy game. (here we can't rent the games) and after a while (I had around 30 burned games) and got bored of them pretty much after playing them 10 minutes. Soo... I just sold it for the same cash I bought it ($400 It was a PAL) after all that experience I understood that modding just ain't for me but I still respect people who do it.
So now I bought a NTSC Wii (american) for just $300 and the games are way cheaper + they get released in the USA WAAAAAAY faster then in Europe. So It's all good :) (only thing is needed a new AC but got that covered)

Wasn't the first modchip for this system out a week after launch?

Bootleg lockouts didn't exist until the Sega Saturn and even then some of the early models can play bootlegs. The Sega CD and TurboGrafx-CD can play bootlegs. They didn't worry about it then because home PCs didn't have CD burners. They still had region lockout(TGCD mostly due to the CD system card).

Strangely, they didn't put much effort into the Dreamcast. What little protection it had against copies was circumvented without chipping. Early models could run unsigned code and later models... the DC disc burner programs add in the boot code. It's how they got homebrew to run.

So, On one hand, I support the right of people to, under the purview of "I own the things I bought", mod-chip their consoles.

But, on the other, I don't support doing so for the purpose of theft, which is what downloading games like that is.

So, a decent effort on Nintendo's part, give it till mid-December, and the Modder's will have found a work around.

TiwazTyrsfist said:
So, On one hand, I support the right of people to, under the purview of "I own the things I bought", mod-chip their consoles.

But, on the other, I don't support doing so for the purpose of theft, which is what downloading games like that is.

So, a decent effort on Nintendo's part, give it till mid-December, and the Modder's will have found a work around.

Mid-december? A couple posts up someone stated that the mod chip development teams already found workarounds...

i dont md or anything but i have known people who have. why you people think wii games are put in rom format is beyond me. the wii games are in ISO format. roms are easy to hack into(so ive heard). but you have to be really smart to hack a ISO and change its sucurity features.

i dont think any of you have noticed but nintendo is also doing this with the DS games. phantom hourglass has this feature and so does donkey kong jugle climber. (my source: yahoo answers & other forums)

Nintendo finally did something right that will end piracy.....but it has just started another war....the war of the Philipines and the places that games cost $80-150 per game which I feel their pain and I support those who do piracy on wii to get games since they cant afford them.

Back