So, Namco makes Wii games, why no Katamari?

D34dM4N

How to kill a Deadman
Oct 28, 2011
Six feet down; underneath grass
Wii Online Code
1111-1111-1111-1111
The Katamari games are some of my favorite of all time. But, they're only on 360 and PS. I think the Wii controllers would change and make awesome new gameplay. So, why doesn't namco or nintendo release a Wii <3 U KATAMARI, or somethin like it?

If they have plans for it, they might as well do it for the WII U since it drops in the fall(?)

You can cop it for the Vita later on this year if you have one.

It's too childish to be on a mature console.
The console with the least ammount of M rated games, but plenty of games like Animal Crossing, not to mention Just Dance and rubbish like it.

Yea, way too mature for the fantasy violence of destroying an entire world "unlike" in Katamari.

Now I shall magically open this thread.

Well I would say its because its mainly a Sony game, but one did come out on 360 and it was short.

3 bloody hours. Still it cost me three quid

It's weird, I had a new thread subscription to a closed thread I had never seen before, and posts moved around or dissapeared. But I do like how it rolled at the end of the debate.
Any way this is what i found on wiki but it's old as hell...so i still dont know,
On Beautiful Katamari's page:
On June 29, 2007, IGN Nintendo editor-in-chief Matt Casamassina reported that according to unnamed sources close to Namco Bandai, the PlayStation 3 version of Beautiful Katamari had been cancelled due to porting issues and stalled PlayStation 3 sales, with resources being redirected towards the development of a Wii version. Namco Bandai was contacted for comment, but a statement was not returned in time for the publishing of the report. On July 5, 2007 Namco revealed their E3 2007 lineup, listing Beautiful Katamari as Xbox 360 only. On the same day, Famitsu reported that Beautiful Katamari has been cancelled for the PS3 and is currently in development for the Wii and Xbox 360.
The box cover image for the Xbox 360 version, released in late August 2007, indicates that the game is exclusive to the Xbox 360.
On September 11, 2007, Namco-Bandai's U.S. website briefly identified Beautiful Katamari as a title for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Wii, with the latter two platforms bearing a release date of "TBD." When asked by 1UP during the 2007 Tokyo Game Show, Beautiful Katamari director Jun Morikawa stated specifically that the game will not be available for the PS3, though another Katamari game that stars the King of Cosmos in the lead will make its way to the PS3 "soon". Morikawa also suggested the same for the Wii.
Due to the PlayStation 3 version cancelled, Namco later released Katamari Forever, which shares some of its levels with Beautiful Katamari, for that console in 2009.

And on Katamari Damacy page:
While PlayStation 3 and Wii ports were planned for Beautiful Katamari, these never were released.

Apparenty Korogashi Puzzle Katamari Damacy was a release for DSi and DSiWare but the gameplay wasn't like the originals.

Last edited:
Maybe they just dont want to make it for the Wii U

Also the other posts are here

Maybe they just dont want to make it for the Wii U

Maybe thay just "couldn't" make it for the first Wii. Creating ports of the, at the time(2007),"new" controllers. Maybe it wasn't finished by the time Sony brought out it's motion controllers. and then a big kill shot for a reason not to continue with Will development would be the kinect. That might be a fun one, but it seems like the didn't put too much time or money into a microsoft version in the past.
Anyway since the Wii U's new controller has duel thumb pads, maybe that'll work for developers. But now that I think of it; the classic controllers already have duel thimb pads, so wtfdIk?
And, Thx for cleanin that up, Prinny

Last edited:
It might be fun (and nackering) with two Wiimotes. replacing the two sticks

I've thought that too, but how would you generalize the motion to move forward, or backwards? I can see the charging up part making sense but not general momentum. Besides that'd be a hellava workout on the forearms with the wiimote and nunchuck. Same for the kinect, having to oscillate hand motion to gesture your forward and backward intentions.
Maybe I'm startin to see why...but like I said, there's still the classic controllers.
And damnit...I miss those games

See "W***ers wrist"

Im all for making the most of the controls of a game, but some times the idea is better in theory than in practice.
(Track and field on a dance mat for one)

Im all for making the most of the controls of a game, but some times the idea is better in theory than in practice.

Yeah, so we've had motion controllers for almost a decade now, and gaming has not gotten the 1000%better that Maury guests would have predicted. So why fix something that isn't broken? Kratos doesn't need new controls, neither does Mario. Why change a game so much to fit a platform that you kill the intention?

I coulda kept rollin on, but you reopend this...btw thx

and, oh yea

It took me a while not to see "writer's wrist" instead of ***ker's...

Last edited:
^Your mind is clean then. Most people would of seen w***er

Could also of been walkers.

Something I have said a lot over meany meany years

"Good games are made for the controller"
(Wii example being WiiSports and Zelda SS)
This is why I hate a lot of PSP games that are ports (Katamri being one of them, its a twin stick game)

Back