So... The new Wii-mote straps...

Mais

Wii Owner
Nov 14, 2006
So I heard about the recall so I ordered me a couple straps to replace my current ones. Now, I'm burdened with these obsolete Wii-mote straps... Now I don't know about you fellas, but I definately plan to figure out how much stress these things can take. I've got a couple straps so naturally I've got a couple plans. Some current ones include strapping one to a coffee mug and swinging it around my head in my yard. I'd be more than happy to entertain ideas. NOTE: I have a very low budget ;)

Last edited:
Great stuff to do with them. But if your curious, it has already been tested. ;) Up to 25lbs and still pretty strong.

I'm going to try the same thing, but with an object that is similar in weight and dimensions as a wiimote. I think it is important to have the object connected to the the strap in the same manner the wiimote is-- with a very small loop, where the strands of the strap are touching. At this point, I just want to see if I can break one with my own swinging rather than a dead weight test.

So far i have broken 2 Wii Mote Wrist Straps (dont ask). Also, ive found that your Nintendo DS wrist strap is alot stronger and safer than the WIi ones :D

You guys are confusing two terms here. Testing and playing. I don't plan on using any scientific methods here. I just want to be destructive ^.^ I couldn't give half a crap about how many pounds it can hold. I'm more interested in how fast I have to spin a coffee cup before it snaps and hopefully flies 50+ feet.

I don't understand how anyone can lose grip of the wiimote. The way your hand grips it and how your index finger is on the B button should be enough to hold it tight. I have kids (5-7 year old) over my place all the time and they have yet to let it go from their hands. My friends also come by sometime and swing the **** out of the wiimote playing Wiisports and waving their hands like crazy when the score a touchdown playing madden and yet has it ever left anyone hands.

Lol I guess I might experiment myself, but I'll be keeping the straps on til they come off themselves, so might be awhile. Maybe I'll see if I can attach it to a dumbell, put it around my wrist, and jog around with it to see if it holds. Or put it onto something else and then manually pull and see how much force it takes. Or if my friend gets his off as well, tie one on each side of a pole/stick and play tug of war! XD The possibilities are endless.

Whats the big deal about having straps! im just not going to buy one. like what jlspec it is like impossible to let go of the wii remote.

How many old straps do you have? Depending on how many you have you could try hooking them all round the one pole and trying to lift a person

jlspec said:
I don't understand how anyone can lose grip of the wiimote. The way your hand grips it and how your index finger is on the B button should be enough to hold it tight. I have kids (5-7 year old) over my place all the time and they have yet to let it go from their hands. My friends also come by sometime and swing the **** out of the wiimote playing Wiisports and waving their hands like crazy when the score a touchdown playing madden and yet has it ever left anyone hands.

Yup exactly, my 6 year old sister swings the **** out of it on bowling yet still holds onto it.

These are good ideas. Lets just all be safe while doing this. lol.

Mais said:
You guys are confusing two terms here. Testing and playing. I don't plan on using any scientific methods here. I just want to be destructive ^.^ I couldn't give half a crap about how many pounds it can hold. I'm more interested in how fast I have to spin a coffee cup before it snaps and hopefully flies 50+ feet.
You're an idiot, but have fun. Let us know the damages you have to pay your neighbors.

Back