Spectator mode not really a spectator mode?

Atomheart

M'bating to Z Suit Samus
Jul 30, 2007
WI
So, when I think of spectating in online games, I assume that one is watching a game play out in real time. However, that does not seem to be the case in this game. It appears as if you're simply watching a replay of a previously played game that was recorded and sent to Nintendo.

Lame.

i think its computers because once i was spectating both of the characters waved at me

wow nintendo nice job!!
ughhhhh

YOWORD said:
i think its computers because once i was spectating both of the characters waved at me

wow nintendo nice job!!
ughhhhh

i love spectating mode because i won 380 gold every time i spectate.

YOWORD said:

wow nintendo nice job!!
ughhhhh

LOL! Probably. It wouldn't surprise me. Then again, it really doesn't matter. What difference would it really make?

yeah, as i said before in other threaaaads, u might as well be playing a smartass computer without any sorts of voice chat in online.:sick:

I'm starting to think the same thing too, dude.
They're probably submitted videos, as you pointed out.

Because I've yet to see a spectated match lag.
I'm sure the person watching would get lag too.

would you want to spectate a live game? lag would just make it hell and the spectator would also cause lag for the players. you cant even spectate friend matches.

I'm not complaining, really.
And, I think you can spectate friend matches.

I've seen a handful of 2 vs. 2's.
I know Basic Brawl can have less than 4 players, but I've only been in a 3 vs. 3 with those.

It's definitely people playing, just not live, spectating doesn't necessarily apply that the match is happening that moment, I've seen some things that CPU's would never do, like not playing... I've seen that.

Yes how could anyone say they put CPU in replays? You can tell a difference between CPU and a real person after a couple second into the replay. CPU doesn't tend to repeat moves when they miss, regular players do, one of the more obvious point. Other things you can notice is that player would go after ones with high %, etc.

Replay is better than watching them live, why? Because the spectator will add more lag to the already laggy game. And would you want to watch a laggy game with freeze frame here and there? or rather they saved it and give you back a smooth replay? That's a smart move on their part.

Douten said:
Yes how could anyone say they put CPU in replays? You can tell a difference between CPU and a real person after a couple second into the replay. CPU doesn't tend to repeat moves when they miss, regular players do, one of the more obvious point. Other things you can notice is that player would go after ones with high %, etc.

Replay is better than watching them live, why? Because the spectator will add more lag to the already laggy game. And would you want to watch a laggy game with freeze frame here and there? or rather they saved it and give you back a smooth replay? That's a smart move on their part.

The spectator would not likely add any lag as they are not uploading anything, just downloading. Lag is generally more so the result of slow uploading (or squeezed broadband on the upload side) than the downloading part.

Still, why is there never lag in the replays? If there were lag in the match, there would be lag in the recording. Do they just send out lagless replays to be spectated?

Not that it matters. There's little if any difference between watching 4 CPU's go at it than 4 completely random, anonymous human players.

Here's a question: If 4 CPU's are thrown into a brawl together, does the game already have the winner picked out prior to the match starting? In other words, is the winner (and order of winners, KO's, % damage, etc.) pre-determined before the match starts? Or is it all random algorithms and what not?

It would lag the server because the server would have to send the packets to the spectator as well as the other contestants in real time as the match. I'm not claiming that it'll add noticeable lag, but it will add lag since it's putting more work on the server while the match is going on. Wouldn't you want a smooth play back anyways?

There are no lag in the replay because the game records it as if there was no lag. If there are lag you notice that the timer slows down as well. The game records moves made accordance to time, etc. it doesn't record like a vid cam per say. That's why if your two minute match last three minute when you replay it, it will be two minutes. You can test this out simply by saving your replay.

As for the four CPU the game can't determine. They just let the CPU run wilds, because if you keep in mind there are random factors in the game, such as tripping and items and other stage obstacles. There's no way the game would pre-calculate all that. Imagine if you put it at 99 stocks if the game were to pre-calculate and plan out all that'd be overdrive and unnecessary :x

^I had lag in the beginning of a match I recorded in my replays. The lag does get recorded... So maybe they do only show lagless replays...

Edit: Or maybe it was just in the process of loading and it wasn't actually lag.

Back