The truth behind Bowling - please comment!

pluto2

WiiChat Member
Dec 27, 2006
The truth behind Bowling and the "direction fix" - please comment!

After finding myself in a situation where I thought my wii was faulty I did alot of analyzing of bowling in Wii sports. Here are my results, and I'd enjoy getting a few comments on this, are you having the same experience?

There _IS_ a direction fix in bowling, there is no doubt about it. When the game thinks you are spinning in the wrong direction, the direction will be reversed for you (at no expense) :p Try this: Start a new game of bowling and move yourself just a little to the RIGHT, now try to spin it to the left. No matter if you spin to the left or the right it will always spin LEFT. This is true for both a right handed and left handed player. Another example: Let's say there's only one pin left to the LEFT. Now move yourself a little to the left and try spinning RIGHT, there's no way you can do that! HOWEVER, if there are several pins on the LEFT SIDE you can actually set yourself to the LEFT and still be able to spin both ways providing that you are spinning towards the middle left part, ie, you cannot set yourself to the far left and spin left or toward the center and spin right. How the game acts when there is one pin on either side I haven't tried but I'd assume you are free to spin either direction. What the game will never allow though no matter the number of pins left, is being far left and spin left or the other way around.

If the game doesn't KNOW what direction is "correct" it will default to the opposite direction of the hand the player is set to. Once again: start a new game of bowling with a RIGHT handed player. Don't move at all be dead center and now spin to the left, then try the right. It will always spin to the LEFT no matter what direction you try. If you were LEFT handed it would always be spinning to the RIGHT instead.

I don't know what I think about this "feature", I dislike it, that's for sure but honestly for a GOOD bowler it will probably never make a differnce. The only thing this would affect would be poor bowlers and since they are so poor they may need it anyway, right, maybe nintendo wasn't so stupid when they did this. I would have enjoyed a switch for it however as it just doesn't feel right to be "helped" by the game.

Comments appreciated

ps: my previous suspiscions of a broken wii has now been withdrawn as I simply found myself to be the cause of my inability to bowl straight, first because I wasn't very straight in my motion but second because I didn't know about this direction fix and always tried to be abit right to prevent the left so to speak but that will not work because of the fix, good to know for others!

Kristian

EDIT EDIT EDIT:

In important note aswell for bowlers trying to bowl straight: MIND THE DIRECTION FIX. Since you are only able to spin in ONE direction most of the time you cannot really "try to spin a tad right to avoid spinning left", it's probably a pretty common assumption but it WILL NOT WORK because of the direction fix. You will just end up sending it the same WRONG way anyway, remeber that!

Last edited:
Gaz said:
omg it's just a game to show how the wiimote works, and what it's capibal off, your sad to even care.
Some people DO care. Why bowling does this has been debated time and time again. Thank you pluto, for putting in the effort to research this. I guess we will just have to live with this feature, good or bad.

of course we care, game addicted people as we are and we do have the right to know and understand how the game works and does not work, don't we ;)

either way, I didn't research this only to understand the direction fix, I did it primarily because I thought my controller was acting up but it turned out it didn't. This "feature" fooled me into believing that. Now that's at least somethign that's important.

gaz:

and btw, I don't interpret bowling as a technology showoff only, not more than say super mario bros was either way. It's a fine piece of game that many of us enjoy playing. sure it's simple, but that doesn't mean it's bad, actually, sometimes less is more. Tennis is a fine example of this, sure it's basic but it's a challange for many hours to come and it'll never get boring to play with your friends. That's more than you can say about alot of games.

Yeah,
I noticed this pretty much the first time I played it. I think its stupid overall because it makes it way harder to bowl a straight ball. Alot of people find that it always goes left. I don't really care because Wii sports isn't really a "real" game and Ive only played it a few times and don't expect much. Its just a demo.

well that's true, it makes it harder to bowl straight, but perhaps that should be seen as a "realistic touch" as it isn't quite as simple to just grab a bowling ball and make it do what you want in reality. It IS annoying nonetheless, as you have to think about what the game thinks is correct to compensate for a not-so-straight ball.

pluto2 said:
After finding myself in a situation where I thought my wii was faulty I did alot of analyzing of bowling in Wii sports. Here are my results, and I'd enjoy getting a few comments on this, are you having the same experience?

There _IS_ a direction fix in bowling, there is no doubt about it. When the game thinks you are spinning in the wrong direction, the direction will be reversed for you (at no expense) :p Try this: Start a new game of bowling and move yourself just a little to the RIGHT, now try to spin it to the left. No matter if you spin to the left or the right it will always spin LEFT. This is true for both a right handed and left handed player. Another example: Let's say there's only one pin left to the LEFT. Now move yourself a little to the left and try spinning RIGHT, there's no way you can do that! HOWEVER, if there are several pins on the LEFT SIDE you can actually set yourself to the LEFT and still be able to spin both ways providing that you are spinning towards the middle left part, ie, you cannot set yourself to the far left and spin left or toward the center and spin right. How the game acts when there is one pin on either side I haven't tried but I'd assume you are free to spin either direction. What the game will never allow though no matter the number of pins left, is being far left and spin left or the other way around.

If the game doesn't KNOW what direction is "correct" it will default to the opposite direction of the hand the player is set to. Once again: start a new game of bowling with a RIGHT handed player. Don't move at all be dead center and now spin to the left, then try the right. It will always spin to the LEFT no matter what direction you try. If you were LEFT handed it would always be spinning to the RIGHT instead.

I don't know what I think about this "feature", I dislike it, that's for sure but honestly for a GOOD bowler it will probably never make a differnce. The only thing this would affect would be poor bowlers and since they are so poor they may need it anyway, right, maybe nintendo wasn't so stupid when they did this. I would have enjoyed a switch for it however as it just doesn't feel right to be "helped" by the game.

Comments appreciated

ps: my previous suspiscions of a broken wii has now been withdrawn as I simply found myself to be the cause of my inability to bowl straight, first because I wasn't very straight in my motion but second because I didn't know about this direction fix and always tried to be abit right to prevent the left so to speak but that will not work because of the fix, good to know for others!

Kristian

EDIT EDIT EDIT:

In important note aswell for bowlers trying to bowl straight: MIND THE DIRECTION FIX. Since you are only able to spin in ONE direction most of the time you cannot really "try to spin a tad right to avoid spinning left", it's probably a pretty common assumption but it WILL NOT WORK because of the direction fix. You will just end up sending it the same WRONG way anyway, remeber that!

The first thing we learn at around 5 at school, is that you have to do tests on more than one person, (in this case at least 10 diff people) to have a fair test.

This fault may well just be your own bad bowling skills, for i have noticed nothing like this at all.

ottoman: my results have nothing really do to with bad bowling, there's no doubt about this "direction fix" if you doubt this you are a denier, that's the truth, sorry!

Think about real life, pick up a ball and spin the opposite way without breaking your wrist. If you bowl the correct way, you should not notice this at all. (For instance, right handed person hitting a 10 pin by standing left all the way, aiming at the gutter and spinning to the left) There should never be any situation in the game where you change your actual throw, just the direction.

For people who can't bowl straight, STOP TRYING, your probably better than you would be anyway.

</rant from a varsity bowler>

I have no problem with bowling i can make it go left and right you are wrong and i can make it go straight

Right on about the stop trying to make it go straight!---My advice to anyone who comes to my house to play is to move your arm and hand to what comes naturally (so that that movement can easily be duplicated) and see where the ball goes. Only after a few hours of play will one find the proper speed needed and the timing to have your hand down when the left foot is at the line---very critical in getting any kind of consistency. When you have that down , you will realize where you should be standing.
I might add also with respect to where you stand, that let's say 3 clicks to the right for positioning your bowler will not always put you at the exact same spot. Again , starting your guy at the same spot is critical to consistency. Moving your guy back and forth a few times will change his position ever so slightly.

Seeya guys
Bob

Of course it's possible to make it go straight this was about the direction fix which IS there but I'm gonna stop hollering about it's existence I just wanted to let you know my results.

Back