To Mod or Not to Mod

I would mod your wii if I were you. Once your warranty expires then I would give it a shot. Some of my backups are ****ed up already so its nice to have something just in case. Also, if an update does affect the chip you could always take it off so no harm done really.

I would highly recommend the Wiikey as well. I've installed it into about 30 systems, and no issues at all. I originally was using the CycloWiz, and installed that in about 45 machines, but it was always problematic (I did swap out for the NEWEST version for everyone, when I got them in - thankfully the supplier exchanged the stuff for FREE for me!)

The WiiKey has never given me any issues, so I highly recommend it.

As for the "To Mod or Not To Mod" argument. I think modding is good. Personally, I buy all of the games I like, but even with the best of care they get scratched (or in the case of my Xbox 360 - the system scratches them up just fine) so I am grateful to be able to use my backup discs regularly, and then replace them again should they become scratched. This way my original is always in perfect condition.

Anyway, not here to argue whether you should or should not mod, just suggest that you do - even if you're only backing up your own games.

Absolutely Mod it, sure you should buy the games you truly want but for those games that aren't worth buying it's a great thing to be able to try them out anyway. If i didn't mod id rent these games with a free gamefly trial or something and I'm going to buy the supreme games like Galaxy. Also, you can make DVDs with every emulator/rom you want that's a great time too. They won't detect it online that's just a scare tactic but it helps that i don't really care about online play.

Go for it.

MY GOD. You bunch of pussys.
"Oh no I don't want to hurt Nintendo cause they dont make enough as it is"
If any of you die hards are sticking up for Nintendo you should maybe think again. Put it this way, they are making PLENTY from each and everyone of us from the Wii. Then there is the story of the old skool games, yet another HUGE profit for Nintendo. Modding the Wii is a way of making things even for us. Do you think for a second that if you dont mod your Wii Mario is gonna come to your front door and give you a 1up? YOU WILL GET NOTHING IN RETURN! Oh and the warrenty thing...................Give a toss! if something happens 1-2 years down the track get another Wii!

"9. Rips off great companies and no money means no games for you fools. Modding is a noob thing, Its so stupid. Kinda simple modding = no money = no games from game comapnies. Infact i think it might become illegal COMPLEATLY."

LOLING ALL OVER AFRICA OVER THIS POST.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Noob thing LOL! No games! Dude go rub one off or at least get a girlfriend.

tical said:
If any of you die hards are sticking up for Nintendo you should maybe think again. Put it this way, they are making PLENTY from each and everyone of us from the Wii. Then there is the story of the old skool games, yet another HUGE profit for Nintendo. Modding the Wii is a way of making things even for us. Do you think for a second that if you dont mod your Wii Mario is gonna come to your front door and give you a 1up? YOU WILL GET NOTHING IN RETURN! Oh and the warrenty thing...................Give a toss! if something happens 1-2 years down the track get another Wii!

"9. Rips off great companies and no money means no games for you fools. Modding is a noob thing, Its so stupid. Kinda simple modding = no money = no games from game comapnies. Infact i think it might become illegal COMPLEATLY."

Totally agree. I don't understand the people who are friggin afraid of modding the Wii just cos it voids the warranty... FFS It's just $249.99

tical said:

Finally somebody said this.

i Think you should wait for a little while because of warranty and since the wii just came out the mods could get better....

This may be a silly question but..............

........... am I right in thinking that if you mod your wii you can then only play back ups and not the originals

is this true

thanks guys

Not even close, you can play backups and originals, but why play backups? You legally need the original anyway, just be careful insterting and removing. Unless your being naughty... :prrr:
The only reason for modding could be importing games, like us Aussies want. We still havent got Trauma Centre, your LAUNCH GAME

I hope none of you who are saying it is wrong to Mod the Wii have ever downloaded music for free. It's basically the same thing. Also, the small percentage that even know about modding compared to the huge amount that don't is so tiny, let alone those who actually do it.

Is it wrong? Yes. But I'd still do it, if I wasn't so afraid. Anyways, ever notice the little 'Made in China"s all over your Nintendos? That's because they have China Men(and women) slaving away for 6 cents an hour to make your Wiis. Again, it's wrong, but it's one of the lesser wrongs in my opinion. I love Nintendo, and I would still buy the Nintendo games like Mario Galaxy, and Brawl. But for games like Call of Duty, That's not worth 50$ to me, not even 30$.

Well that's my opinion. Have a fun day everyone.

Last edited:
ok.~ i have DS lite with 1GB R4DS, White PSP with 3.10 custom firmware(1.5 FW), and Wii with Wiikey installed.
All 3 with Illegal Game Machine ...however i still buy games.
i have 8 Wii games, 6 PSP games, 10 DS games. but those are all my Collections. I want my game system to be the Best( which means i want those to do EVERYTHING) LOL ~
I love modding the game systems. ~
anybody need help moding the game system in Georgia ? i can help you. ~ let me know.~

I believe anyone should be able to play a back up of a game they own so as not to risk damaging the original (my kid is careful, but accidents happen)

We have a modded XBox with a big HD. Here are some of the benefits:

I can load many game right to the HD. I can load full movies but I usually rip to .AVI to save space- When we go to the cottage or long drives, the game goes with us and we don't need to take a game/movie or even CD, as we pre load the HD.

It becomes a network HD attached to my router. It is also capable of streaming High Def video from a computer in another room to my High Def TV with an optional component output cable. It also streams internet radio. Plays photo slide shows and more- Can you get this out of a stock XBox? NO.

I am hoping to discover more about the Wii- I don't even own one at this moment, but my kid wants one and has been patient since last November to wait for one. I was waiting to not just find one, but find someone who would confidently mod it for me to allow it to play PAL disc if I decided to download a game if I am unable to make backups on my own.

Warranties often keep people from unleashing the full potential of a system. I am willing to gamble in order to ultimately save money (by not throwing scratched games away) and have more fun from a machine.

Long live modding!

Thanks to all who have spent so much time and effort to help me unleash the power in a small package!

Rudi from Toronto

Well with problems ripping your official games to make back ups last I checked you needed aspecific LG drive to do it...

So I will probably get the pre ripped ISO's from online of my original games to keep my original ones in there boxes on the shelves in good condition :)

I have already noticed a few marks on my games and I'm 23 years old and im careful...

I dont want to lose out on playing my games because I scratch them to buggery... lord knows how!

But I will be pruchasing a Wiikey and a triwing screwdriver to mod my Wii :)

and I want to see what the GC homebrew scene has to offer since my friend modded his PSP and is liking the homebrew stuff available there!

TheRook

p.s. I have been waiting bloody ages for trauma center to come out in the UK... :(

Back