Updated my Wii and RE4 graphics get weird

Mac Attack

WiiChat Member
Nov 7, 2007
Hi,

I updated my Wii after the new Bios came out and ever since I have, I see strange blue and green pixels on my screen. It also appears like it is not running in progressive scan. (though it is) I figured it would just fix itself eventually, but no new updates in site I'm worried. While not unplayable, the graphics look much worse than they did. I also havn't seen other posts with similar problems, or maybe I can't fine them. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks

You've got the "Vertical Lines of Static" I got the same thing but haven't sent it to Nintendo yet.. Don't think any update can fix because its mroe of an internal problem

JerryC said:
You've got the "Vertical Lines of Static" I got the same thing but haven't sent it to Nintendo yet.. Don't think any update can fix because its mroe of an internal problem
"Vertical Lines of Static" i'm pretty sure have to do with ur TV. Not the Wii itself.

To answer ur question, I'm am not sure what exactly happened.

This is why I'm avoiding HD TVs for now. They have all these strange errors, they don't last as long, and they cost 3x more for a slightly higher resolution. You haven't seen the future until you've seen 10,000 x 10,000 resolution. I'd give that market another 5 years. The fact that the US government wants to make it mandatory to buy them next year shows how crappy the technology is. They never forced anyone to ditch their radio back in the day.

sagema said:
This is why I'm avoiding HD TVs for now. They have all these strange errors, they don't last as long, and they cost 3x more for a slightly higher resolution. You haven't seen the future until you've seen 10,000 x 10,000 resolution. I'd give that market another 5 years. The fact that the US government wants to make it mandatory to buy them next year shows how crappy the technology is. They never forced anyone to ditch their radio back in the day.

They're not forcing anyone to buy an HD TV. What is required is that broadcasters switch their broadcast to digital instead of analog (they may still not be HD even then). This only effects people that use an antenna to receive their TV signals (which is a pretty small percentage of TV viewers these days). And for those still using an antenna, you will be able to get a voucher to get a digital tuner for free so that you won't have to replace your existing TV if you don't want to.

Cable and satellite are not impacted and you won't need a new TV or anything like that.

iOwnage said:
"Vertical Lines of Static" i'm pretty sure have to do with ur TV. Not the Wii itself.

To answer ur question, I'm am not sure what exactly happened.

Nope, same thing on other TVs

yep mine does it as well although i had just noticed when i was playing the bleach game thats when it started for me.....

It happend to me when I played RE4

I'm a bit concerned, and hope it's not a major problem..I don't have a computer so the Wii is my only source for online(Im on right now)

If this is a problem could someone tell me?

My tv is rathee old thouhh

Seems like it only happens when there is an abundance of dust or cloud on the screen. Hopefully there wonèt be alot of that in Brawl or else I have to send for repair :(

I have this exact problem.

There's green lines in some scenes and places in RE4

Yup... it sucked...

I got so pissed that I returned my wii in best buy because I bought a 2 year warranty for it :D

hehehehee

and now with my new Wii, I don't have any fat green lines on the left side of the screen blocking my view

(these green lines, though fat, still lets the wii playable. However, it becomes very irritable as you see it more and more.)

happened to me playing the last levels of zelda,like in the sky temple, where there was loads of dust and clouds bouncing about.
Havnt noticed it at all playing SPM or anything else recently though...

All,

What you are experiencing are the symptoms of your GPU getting too hot. You'll start to notice it in games that graphically push the Wii hard, but eventually you'll get these anomalies in the main menu, in VC games etc

The cause is leaving the unit in Standby / Connect24. The wireless chip set generates a lot of heat that contributes to the GPU overheating. Nintendo will acknowledge this is an issue.

I believe it only affects launch models. I also believe that a recent firmware update spins up the fan every so often when the Wii is in standby so as to keep it cool.

Nintendo will replace your console, you only need send them the console itself, nothing else - no peripherals.

I got my Wii at launch in the UK and by April time had the same thing happening. It started when playing Zelda and got worse over time. Nintendo acknowledged the problem and replaced immediately giving another warranty.

Do a search on Google for "Wii GPU overheat"........................

Samster said:
The cause is leaving the unit in Standby / Connect24. The wireless chip set generates a lot of heat that contributes to the GPU overheating. Nintendo will acknowledge this is an issue.

The root of the problem is that some GPU chips are borderline faulty. This makes them more susceptible to heat from other sources. If the GPU is normal, then the heat from being in Standby/WiiConnect24 mode will not be a problem. The faulty GPU would eventually fail just from regular play even if WiiConnect24 is off, although it may take a little longer.

Back