USB hubs and the WII

Dr. Mom

WiiChat Member
Jan 26, 2007
Just and interesting side comment. I've hooked up our Wii to the net via the usb/lan adapter that Nintendo supplies. It works beautifuly but it does tie up a usb port. I know that there are currently no USB devices out there for the Wii (except the lan adapter) but I was a little concerned about tying up one of the two available ports. I e-mailed nintendo customer support about attaching a powered usb hub and got an interesting response. To wit, "We don't know if it will work, since there are no usb devices out there yet we won't be testing that option until at least 3 devices are available". You'd think that they'd have tested that option already, wouldn't you?

well my mp3 (creative zen) charges from a usb port, i tryed conecting this up to my wii to see if it would charge it up (i wasnt expecting to be able to play the music, just checking to see if it would charge), but i had no luck at all, it didnt charge, but i havent tryed any other usb device on it

theripper44 said:
well my mp3 (creative zen) charges from a usb port, i tryed conecting this up to my wii to see if it would charge it up (i wasnt expecting to be able to play the music, just checking to see if it would charge), but i had no luck at all, it didnt charge, but i havent tryed any other usb device on it
i did the same thing with my creative zen, and my ipod, didnt work

thats an interesting response indeed to be getting back from a nintendo representative!

regardless if they have no USB products (except for the adapter), they should still test the function

in my advice, id say 9/10 youd be OK using a hub i mean why not? its not that high powered or damaging and it works for a computer? i dont know if the internal parts would really be all that big of a deal (IE CPU fan manybe?) so if youre daring enough take 3 USB devices that you have in the house and a hub and give it a shot

i doubt anything catastrophic would happen? :idea:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theripper44

Thats funny...I have a 30GB creative zen vision:m, plugged it into the USB port and it charges no problem. I actually like it better than the computer because the Wii doesn't need to be on and it doesn't dock to the Wii. Strange...

swanson said:
I carge my ipod on it all the time, ur probally just lying(or u dont know wut a usb port is)

KooBloo said:
I carge my ipod on it all the time, ur probally just lying(or u dont know wut a usb port is)

easy does it there killer.....:nono:

maybe something is wrong with his USB cable that its not working or maybe he didnt plug it in long enough for it to send a signal. i pluged my olympus m:robe into it and it took about 10 seconds for it to finally luminate and indicate that it was charging (also quite possibly because i had the battery dead for like 2 weeks)

KooBloo said:
noo, i mean like play music, it charges fine hah

From a technical standpoint, a USB hub should work just fine with the Wii; there isn't any reason one shouldn't be compatible since USB is a universal standard.

Back