Video turns off when playing virtual console games

xbandaidx said:
Its because the VC games run at different refresh rates on the screen I believe, IGN AU put a post about this on their website with the refresh rates being a bit different and whatnot. I'm not sure if this is the exact reason, but its something to keep in mind.

Other than that, your best bet is to call Nintendo on this.

I have called twice and emailed twice. No response after the initial conversation with a tech guy who said someone would call me back. I am a little ticked off since I am out the cost of 4 games. The fact that Nintendo should have know there would be a huge number of people out their with plasma and LCD screens, they should have tested all of their product before selling it or put out a warning, these games won't work with LCD or Plasma.

Now they have done a recall on their wrist straps, maybe they will do something to fix or return money for this.

I haven't received any response to my ticket either. My suspicion is this is a widespread problem (moreso than the overhyped "injuries") and they're trying to figure out how to deal with it.

Virtual Console/Component Cable Problem

Same here. I have component cables running 480p on my 26" HD LCD TV and virtual console games become unplayable after hitting the home key.

I went back to the composite cables and everything worked fine but I don't want to change cables and settings everytime... Plus I'd have to unplug something else everytime I wanted to change cables. :mad5:

I've written to the big N but I'm not expecting to hear back :scared:

The main reason I got the Wii was for the virtual console. :frown2:

tivogirl said:
I haven't received any response to my ticket either. My suspicion is this is a widespread problem (moreso than the over hyped "injuries") and they're trying to figure out how to deal with it.

I finally got a call from Nintendo today. The bottom line was, "thats too bad" we haven't really heard it to be much of a problem. they suggested taking it to another tv and use on that one. I explained the game was my son's and we wanted to play it on his set and not move have to unplug all the cords, take it apart and move it to another room to play VC games. I told him about this board and the fact that it was not an Isolated incident. Oh, by the way, they were responding to my third email I sent that threatened going to the press or CNET with the problem

So when they couldn't help fix it other than also suggest I bring a vcr down to run it thru, I asked for a refund on the 5 games I had purchased and couldn't play. After a while on hold he came back and made me an offer. "Buy an extra sensor bar for $10.00 and they would give me a free A/C adapter. (I had told him I was waiting for component cables I had already ordered). His idea was to have the existing cables, the extra sensor bar and A/C adaptor setup on the other TV. Then, I would only have to move the unit from place to place without draging all the cables. I went for it. He also gave me $5.00 overnight shipping. It wasn't a fix, but I thought at least it was a reasonable attempt to make a consumer happy. Maybe it will work when the component cables will show up, but if it does, it will still be nice to be able to bring the Wii upstairs to the big Widescreen when we feel like playing there without moving the cables.

BTW, the forecast channel Global feature is pretty neat, kinda a minnie google earth.

shrimpy20 said:
I've downloaded "Gunstar Heroes" off the "Wii Shop Channel" and I've had no problems playing it so far.

Do you have an LCD or Plasma screen? So far, the problems are with NES and SNES games on an LCD or Plasma.

I have the same problem. Got the component cables on a 32inch LCD TV. Set to 480p and some of the VC games dont have video! Do any of you think that Nintendo will release a patch, or is this just something we have to live with?

If this only happens with games pre-N64, as mario64 works fine, I might be able to live with it. As I just want to play all the classic N64 games!

akguy53 said:
I finally got a call from Nintendo today. The bottom line was, "thats too bad" we haven't really heard it to be much of a problem. they suggested taking it to another tv and use on that one. I explained the game was my son's and we wanted to play it on his set and not move have to unplug all the cords, take it apart and move it to another room to play VC games. I told him about this board and the fact that it was not an Isolated incident. Oh, by the way, they were responding to my third email I sent that threatened going to the press or CNET with the problem

Nintendo of Australia doesn't even quote an email addy on their site. They expect you to call and then tell you 'that they can't do anything based on a phone call and that you should fax them so that they can forward it to the appropriate area'.

Fax! I mean really, it's practically 2007! I'm soooo steamed! :mad5:

dossaer said:
Nintendo of Australia doesn't even quote an email addy on their site. They expect you to call and then tell you 'that they can't do anything based on a phone call and that you should fax them so that they can forward it to the appropriate area'.

Fax! I mean really, it's practically 2007! I'm soooo steamed! :mad5:

I got the email from the web site. I left them the issue with my phone numbers. Here is the link to the phone numbers and to email:

http://www.nintendo.com/contact

:thumbsup:

This is a major problem that has been posted a few times. I'm sure Nintendo is aware and are figuring out a solution right now, but they never speak too soon. Nintendo will eventually address this issue -and like the wrist straps, they are going to take their sweet time.

miiplaywii said:
This is a major problem that has been posted a few times. I'm sure Nintendo is aware and are figuring out a solution right now, but they never speak too soon. Nintendo will eventually address this issue -and like the wrist straps, they are going to take their sweet time.

I understand there is a problem they were not aware of. Now they know about it and are still acting as if it is not there. They are allowing people to purchase, using hard earned dollars, items from them that they now know, may very well not work on that persons equipment. Don't you think they should at least post a warning on Wii shop like
"Warning! Games purchased from the Wii shop may not work on LCD or Plasma screens. We will let you know when we fix it. Buy at your own risk!"

Just an update. I got my component cables today from a guy on Ebay I bought them from. I paid $20 for them with shipping. They work great and they immediately worked to fix the problems with the VC games. I now can play all the games with no problem

Bumping this, because I have the same problem.

I purchased a Samsung 32" LCD HDTV the other day, and VC games display find using the packaged composite cable. Today I went out and got the official component, not only for Zelda/future games, but also for Castlevania IV which is one of my favorite games.

But I don't get any display in 480p, or any other mode for that matter. I have to switch to composite for it to display properly. I don't understand this, as I haven't really seen a lot of people with the same problem (this thread is probably the most conclusive I could find), and it seems to be confined to Europe, as far as I can tell.

No one has heard anything from Nintendo or anyone? None of the work-arounds I've found on the net work for me. I'd really like to solve this, as it's getting on my nerves.

Another bumb i guess, but ok.
I'm also having this problem, everything works fine with the composite cables (on a tatung 32 emro, 32inch lcd HD-ready tv). But as soon as i switch to component cables my nes and sega megadrive games stop working. When i boot them up the tv will say unsupported, it does display the menu you get by pressing the home button with the game in the back, like with all of you.
Also here, turbo gfx1 16 games do work, I haven't tested N64 games yet but if they work for you the probably also work here. Anyways, i hope they fix this soon, cause i hate swapping the cables everytime but i also hate the composite quality on my LCD-tv

Bumping again..

Same Problem I can use the composite and all will work fine.. but as soon as i use teh Component cables bam.. "Not supported!"..

Any1 know if they will ever fix this damn issue..

It's really stupid i have to change leads just to play VC games..

If any1 gets a reply from Nintendo.. anything like "it will be fixed by..." please post :) thanks.

Last edited:
Back