What Encryption standard you use on your Home network?

Singhson

****** by Syntax
Dec 20, 2007
Banned by Syntax for no reason, all subscribed thr
Wii Online Code
4237-4091-4421-2313
For those of you who have internet, which is obviously everyone reading this unless your not @ home, have probably got wireless too.
I was Wondering what Encryption standard do you use on your home network from computer to Wii, or bigger ones.

Theres:

> WEP - very popular, but easy to hack

> WPA - much securer

> WPA2 - the most securest, but not available on many devices

> TKIP - I've never heard of this one

> PEAP - Never heard of this one either

Which one do you use to securely share your internet connection with your Wii?
I use WPA, I was told it's much securer than WEP, but compensates by sacrificing Internet speed.

Edit: i forgot, do some of you even know about this stuff, "wiichat" members will sort you out, feel free to ask about Network security here too!

WPA, my router doesn't support anything better. My primary reason to move from WEP to WPA is because I'm tired of typing the 16 letter Hex keys.

Singhson said:
For those of you who have internet, which is obviously everyone reading this unless your not @ home
Err, "you're". http://vtbsd.net/english/

I was Wondering what Encryption standard do you use
One that doesn't randomly capitalize words, apparently. ;)

Missing an apostrophe there, buddy. :frown2:

> WPA2 - the most securest, but not available on many devices
"most securest"???? Geesh... :frown2:

> TKIP - I've never heard of this one
It's a security protocol that WPA can use. AES is better though.

PEAP - Never heard of this one either
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_Extensible_Authentication_Protocol

Which one do you use to securely share your internet connection with your Wii?
WPA2, of course. I do more on my network than play my Wii, and WEP is too easy to break into.

WEP 128bit + Mac Address filtering, IP filtering, no DHCP, dynamic WEP key rotation

TKIP and PEAP aren't other Encryption standards.

WEP is basically a WEP encrpytion.

When you set up a WPA or WPA2 connection, you are able to choose between two different encryption methods TKIP or AES. Some routers, allow you to set up a TKIP AND AES connection that way you can connect via either method.

My campus usues PEAP. It's not a connection type, you can use it along with WPA or WPA2. It's method to authenticate your users, basically by back checking security certificates against those stored at server databases, and may also require you to put in a certain username and password. I don't see it useful nor pratical at a home.

Of course all of this could be totally wrong, so correct me if anyone knows better.

sremick said:
Err, "you're". http://vtbsd.net/english/

One that doesn't randomly capitalize words, apparently. ;)

Missing an apostrophe there, buddy. :frown2:

"most securest"???? Geesh... :frown2:

It's a security protocol that WPA can use. AES is better though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_Extensible_Authentication_Protocol

WPA2, of course. I do more on my network than play my Wii, and WEP is too easy to break into.
Sremick, I understand that messages in poor English can be annoying, but Singhson actually types pretty well by the standards of the intarwebz. You can clearly understand what he's saying, so why bother taking apart all the spelling and grammar errors in his post? :S Anyway, as someone with an uncapitalised username, who feels the need to use four question marks at a time, I don't think you're in a position to criticize other people's language skills.

Back on topic, I use WPA encryption, which is annoying since it means I have to sit near the PC with a dongle plugged in whenever I want to play my DS online :\ But at least the Wii can connect using WPA.

idjut said:
i live in a very rural area... no encryption for me!
Heh, how rural? Better hope none of your neighbors have an empty Pringles can...

Last edited:
I use WPA2. Though most of my neighbours are now retired and would unlikely piggyback on my connection, it's always better to be safe than sorry. Plus new, younger couples move in all the time. I know when I go to visit my father, I just bring my laptop and hop on one of 3 unsecured wireless connections with decent signal strength, rather than be confined to his computer in the basement.

sremick said:
Heh, how rural? Better hope none of your neighbors have an empty Pringles can...
very rural... :yesnod: old farmers... my router shows history of all past and expired MAC address connections and my dad and i always views that list while we are in the router for another reason.

Not so rural you can't get broadband, though? Nice. Usually the phone companies in areas like that are like, "Er, dee ess what...?" Unless you were feeling rich and sprung for satellite... I set that up for a client up on a mountain who can't get cable or DSL (and runs their house off solar panels).

it is nice... the broadband is so new here so many are still like "WHY WOoD Iee PAYEE MORE DEN MY $10 FOR INTERNET?!? Dial-LUp werKs good enuff fuh mee."

then they stand around in awe when they visit our house. :lol:

idjut said:
very rural... :yesnod: old farmers...

"Ma! Ma! Take a gander at this video Cletus sent me on our free wireless internet..."

[edit for on topic contribution]

WPA2 / AES

(Wired where convenient)

Last edited:
Back