What's a good set of desktop speakers?

tank

Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Nov 26, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm looking to get a nice pair of desktop speakers for my Laptop. Cause let's face it...Laptop speakers just don't cut it.

Does anyone know of any good sets they can suggest? I'm thinking along the lines of a 3 piece (two tweeters and a sub woofer)

So far the only set I've found is the JBL creature II speakers. Everyone I know who has them say they work well, but the cnet reviews are less than enthusiastic

I bought mine almost three years ago, but they are the Z3e model also its an 8 inch woofer, my bad, just looks small to me. 80 watts peak power, 40 watts rms = 23 watts rms to the sub, 8.5 watts rms to each satellite speaker. Sounds great, just don't try to run too much bass through them, they aren't bose.

(I got all the numbers from the box, yes after 3 years I actually do still have the box)

Bose.....if only money wasn't a restriction. I could dance parties in my Dorm with those things.

Wow dude....That set aint bad for 39.99. Comes with an MP3 player dock too.

Heck yes, and my speakers were more than enough for my dorm room freshman year. (I was told repeatedly to turn it down by my RA) They still suffice for my apartment now. Yea, 39.99 is a great price for those speakers so I would suggest you drop by there and pick some up, if they're out be sure to get a raincheck. (I used to work at best buy, I know how that crap works)

Last edited:
i've got the JBL ones u mentioned above, they are ok, but when playing music they can sometimes sound a bit tiny if you don't tune the bass and treble properly.

i have a pair of altec lansing VS2220 speakers and they are awesome. about $30 when i bought them about a year ago

Altec Lansing makes awesome speakers, can't deny. Something about the ATP3s were special, though. They blew everything away at the time and even the recent models don't seem to compare. Alten Lansing hasn't made the ATP3 in many years yet used ones still go for around $60 on eBay. Go figure. :)

Back