When is enough..enough?

i remember when sony tried to compete with mario 64.
crash bandicoot. even a mario cart one.. crash team racing.
it didnt do nearly as well.
however sega's sonic is a very good character.

Haha, sonic is a great example of nintendo absorbing a concept like their own. Great post wezeles.

Well Nintendo made it work SEGA kinda rolled with it "no pun intended" by copying it. "like so many other companys in the industry do"

Sonic had great sucess while SEGA consoles lasted, but once they were outta the console race the "hardcore" systems didn't seem to be jumping at the bit for this type of character. If history tells us anything this was a very bad call. If I was Sony or MS I would have scooped up SEGA and all the popular 1st party that came with it. Lets face it thats the one thing the "hardcore" don't have is a long lasting classic 1st party. Most of there sales are dedicated to 3rd party pop games.

Even being arch rivals for so many years after SEGA went software only Nintendo welcomed them with open arms and I'm sure this has made SEGA very happy. Although they might still be a bit behind Nintendo's sucess record they have helped them achieve a mirror image of the same concept with there own unique "universal character" that now speeds his way across every console with no mercy. He still seems to sell best with Nintendo fans though. But he had some great sucess on the PS2 probably because of the large population of "casual gamers" The same gamers that make or break your game sucess wise!

Last edited:
FloYdian said:
i remember when sony tried to compete with mario 64.
crash bandicoot. even a mario cart one.. crash team racing.
it didnt do nearly as well.
however sega's sonic is a very good character.
Have you played any Sonic Games recently?

I honestly can't remember one that was either fun or had good reviews in the last 5 years.

CocoSSBB said:
Sonic is cool. His games suck now, but he is cool.

I miss Crash Bandicoot. Why did Naughty Dog have to drop him?:shocked:
Crash Team Racing was by far the best racing game on the Playstation. :yesnod:

CocoSSBB said:
Sonic is cool. His games suck now, but he is cool.

Haha now that I think about it, the only sonic game i've ever owned is the first one which I got on VC and really regret.

If you want Sonic classic games go buy Sonic Mega collection for PS2 or GC to play on your Wii. I too bought the 1st one then once I saw a copy of the Mega collection all 7 of the Gensis Sonic titles and extras for 12 bucks at Gamestop used I snatched it up.

The newer games are decent, not the level they use to be but SEGA doesn't have loads of cash to toss around anymore eaither. Still better then alot of the 3rd party we see today.

i heard when konami first made castlevania for nes they took a chance, but hey the belmont clan became very popular, also heard the legend of zelda for nes nintendo took a chance to combine a Adventure gamme with a RPG game but that made the best hyrulen hero: Link. Did nintendo ever say what Link & Princess Zelda last names are? or Gannon's?..i'm just curious.

or what name is Zant, sounds like some idoit or some hanz solo wannabe.

Last edited:
castlezelda said:
i heard when konami first made castlevania for nes they took a chance, but hey the belmont clan became very popular, also heard the legend of zelda for nes nintendo took a chance to combine a Adventure gamme with a RPG game but that made the best hyrulen hero: Link. Did nintendo ever say what Link & Princess Zelda last names are? or Gannon's?..i'm just curious.
Final Fantasy was the ultimate taking of chances. Do you know why Square Enix gave Final Fantasy it's name? It was supposed to be the final game before they went bankrupt.

I think Nintendo is doing a great job cycling characters they know there doing. I also think it wouldn't hurt if they introduced some new characters. :ciappa:

Bliss said:
Heres my lil question i been thinking. Ok Nintendo continues to make "remakes" of throw backs. Super Mario World = SMG, Legend of Zelda = Zelda Twilight Princess, Smash Bros. = SSBB. How long do you think Nintendo can keep up with this, before we the gamer finally say "ok enough with Mario or whatever it maybe? We need something new!" Now i am DEFINATELY not sayin i feel like this now, but honestly i think this was a great group of games they put out for the Wii, and is gonna be tough to top. So why not quit while there ahead and come up with new ideas. AGAIN i'll say I DONT FEEL LIKE THIS NOW! (before all the hate comments come) Im just wondering.

Whats your take on this?

God, what is with this guy and cucumbers? I swear thats all he talks about, cucumbers this and cucumbers that! I don't get what his deal is!

No, the formula works and adding another variable will mess everything and we will all have to go back to math class to figure it out and you know nobody wants that. (F*CK YOU ALGEBRA II)

Back