Why are my virtual console games no longer working?

jwemt81

WiiChat Member
Aug 8, 2009
I am suddenly having a problem whenever I try to play any of my virtual console games that I have downloaded on my Wii. Whenever I try to play them, the screen goes black and "invalid format" flashes on the screen. I haven't physically changed anything with my TV (46 inch LG LCD) or my Wii. The only thing that I believe was done was the system performed some sort of an update when we got the Wii Sports Resort game. After that, I was unable to play any of my VC games, and I have quite a few! All of our regular Wii and Gamecube games play perfectly fine on it and all of the other channels work. It's just the virtual console games that are giving this invalid format error. I was going to buy some more Wii points and download some new VC games, but I don't want to waste my money if they're not going to work! This is so frustrating! :mad5: Does anyone know how to fix this?

Last edited:
You need to go into the Wii's main settings and change the display settings from Standard to HDTV.

I had this same problem with an HD LG TV. I had my Wii running through a 5-component cable to the TV. I switched to the original 3 component cable that came with the Wii and my virtual console games started working fine.

Back