Wii Elbow (a.k.a. Elbow Tendonitis )

R2D2C3PO

WiiChat Member
Mar 26, 2007
Unfortunately, I have a soreness on the inside of my elbow (like golfer's elbow), and I believe it is caused by playing too much Wii Sports! :ee5k:

Here is some info on Elbow Tendonitis:

Golfer's elbow, or medial epicondylitis, is similar to its counterpart, tennis elbow. The primary differences between these conditions are the location of the pain and the activity that leads to injury. However, both conditions are caused by overuse of the muscles and tendons of the forearm, leading to inflammation and pain around the elbow joint.

What is golfers elbow?
These problems, tennis elbow and golfer's elbow, are both forms of tendonitis. Tendons are the ends of muscles that attach to bone. Because of the force of the muscle, the points of insertion of the tendon on the bone are often pointed prominences. The medical names of Tennis Elbow (lateral epicondylitis) and Golfer's Elbow (medial epicondylitis) come from the names of these bony prominences where the tendons insert, and where the inflammation causes the pain.

The pain of golfer's elbow is usually at the elbow joint on the inside of the arm; a shooting sensation down the forearm is also common while gripping objects.

What causes golfers elbow?
The mechanism of this injury can vary from a single violent action to, more commonly, repetitive stress injury where an action is performed repeatedly and pain gradually develops. No one is immune from these injuries, but they are most common at the beginning of the golf season, or when the offending activity is increased in intensity or duration. Golf is one common cause of these symptoms, but many other sport- and work-related activities can cause the same problem. Another common cause of this injury is with weekend carpenters who use hand tools on occasion.

Question: Does anyone else here suffer from Wii Elbow?

-Rick

Last edited:
I have played consistently since I got the Wii and only had it in the beggining

i bet if u streached out a little and didnt KILL urself playing wii you would be alrite

Read the Wii Manual it says stuff about see your surgeon general I don't think consoles have ever said that in their manuals

I had some shoulder pain the first few days i had the wii, but after playing it more the muscles that I guess I hadn't used in awhile got used to the motions and I haven't experienced any soreness since.

Well maybe sometimes on those hungover mornings after Wii & Booze parties. :devil:

I think you just have to make sure not to bend over backwards to win if you get the metaphor

LOL! Yeah, I think that bowling is what did me in. I think I was using too much force swinging my arm, and was trying to put too much spin on the ball. I have now gone to just throwing straight balls from the corner.

I think time is definitely a factor in my soreness. It is interesting that Wii will remind you to take a break after you have been playing for a while. There is also a health/safety warning right when you turn the system on. I think Nintendo knows that we can get hurt if we play these games non-stop. :crazy:

after a few hours playing TW '07 I do get some soreness in my shoulder and neck caused by swinging my arm and have at times been stiff in the morning

WiiZero said:
Read the Wii Manual it says stuff about see your surgeon general I don't think consoles have ever said that in their manuals

Thats cuz of lawyers now. They don't want people to say I hurt my elbow playing the wii or some made up crap like that:mad5: :mad5: :mad5:

blogman54 said:
Thats cuz of lawyers now. They don't want people to say I hurt my elbow playing the wii or some made up crap like that:mad5: :mad5: :mad5:

I knw I just think it's really funny

I get wii arm after playing the home run/baseball game on super monkey ball banana blitz, played if for about 4 hours late one night with a mate and I was in agony the next day, that was in the early days though before i realised swinging your arm as hard as possible doesn't actually make a difference.

Im fine. You may need more exercise (no offense) anyone who is even fairly fit shouldnt have problems from the motions of the wiimote.

Back