Wii Fit to be released on May 20th?

CantGetAWii

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
WiiChat
Wii Online Code
3099-0319-5478-2979
We're unclear as to what exactly constitutes the Japanese equivalent of a North American Wii-happy, pilates obsessed, nongame loving 'alpha mom' -- but whoever they may be they're snatching up Wii Fit like it was going out of style.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, reports out of Japan indicate that Nintendo's latest gamble into the casual crowd is paying off like a busted slot machine. Even though the program has only been on store shelves officially for just over 1 month now, Nintendo's fitness application has already broken the 1 million sales marker.

Japan's Nikkei business news brought word of Wii Fit's outstanding debut in their nightly news feed. The title, which launched in Japan December 1, aims to improve a user's BMI and overall fitness level through the use of a special balance board peripheral and a calculated exercise regimen which tracks gradual improvement over time in the style of Nintendo's uber-popular Brain Age series.

Wii Fit is expected to be one of the year's biggest sellers both in Japan and abroad. North Americans can expect to see the game on May 20th... by which time presumably they'll have that 'plus-sized' Western balance board properly stress tested and ready for use.

Can't wait for those inevitable Wii Fit special interest pieces on the morning talk show circuit. At the very least it should at least provide some counterarguments to McDonald's latest claim that it's actually the video games (as opposed to, say, McGriddles) responsible for making us all fat.

Source:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3165333

figures that americans need a bigger board.

just pray they don't go titanium.

This was posted before, but not in an article...I'll wait until Nintendo announces a date before I get excited!

AoWFraggit said:
figures that americans need a bigger board.

just pray they don't go titanium.

Please don't use sterotypes. Obesity may be growing in America, but there are tons of Americans that are average weight. Unless you are American, which I don't know, then shut up about it.

I mean it in a nice way....

I saw the 1up release date but refused to believe it. I need an exercise machine for the winter not summer!

manufan15 said:
Please don't use sterotypes. Obesity may be growing in America, but there are tons of Americans that are average weight. Unless you are American, which I don't know, then shut up about it.

thats true however if they brought both versions to america it would be insulting on a personal level if you were buying the "fat" version. however if the create a "fat" version and send it here it will be insulting but not on a personal level, so no one person could get mad at them. that's my thought about it.
Same goes for cars actually, i used to work at a performance shop, imported a set of stock Subaru STi seats for a car, they were noticably narrower than the American version, nothing else was different about them actually, the looked the same, got installed the same, but the american ones were wider than the japanese set. kind of funny actually, at least to me, and i'm not a skinny guy.

kyle

I saw a video of someone on youtube who imported a wii fit game and board. it said the board can be used by people 299 lbs. or lower. I think that would be fine with anyone who is actually going to want to play a fitness game.

K LoLo said:
I saw a video of someone on youtube who imported a wii fit game and board. it said the board can be used by people 299 lbs. or lower. I think that would be fine with anyone who is actually going to want to play a fitness game.

i'm not close to that weight but maybe a heavier duty one will be nice anyway if they use it for more games that stress the board more(think like a snowboarding game or tony hawk or something) then even if you only weigh 200 lbs, you may end up putting over 300 lbs of pressure on the board.
that is of course if they utilize the board for future games like that though.

kyle

smyth said:
thats true however if they brought both versions to america it would be insulting on a personal level if you were buying the "fat" version. however if the create a "fat" version and send it here it will be insulting but not on a personal level, so no one person could get mad at them. that's my thought about it.
Same goes for cars actually, i used to work at a performance shop, imported a set of stock Subaru STi seats for a car, they were noticably narrower than the American version, nothing else was different about them actually, the looked the same, got installed the same, but the american ones were wider than the japanese set. kind of funny actually, at least to me, and i'm not a skinny guy.

kyle

You do have a point, that would be degrating to your pride...

You know, if we are going to stereo type, healthy fit Americans are on average taller than healthy fit Asians. Larger bone structure requires larger seats, cars, etc...

Have you ever seen an American politician in Asia? They usually stand a half a foot taller than all the Asians. But, then Japan has Sumo wrestlers and no one would call them tiny, petite, or in shape.

I'd like to see a gamer go up to a NFL football player and tell him he was fat.

manufan15 said:

Your not from manchester or England so don't you dare comment on The Devils?

He can say what he wants if it's inside the rules and if necessary he could easily back up his statement with facts.

I won't be buying WiiFit since it looks like it will have the same replay value as WiiPlay (play it for a couple months, then it gathers dust). I'm telling you, the novelty of the WiiFit Board will wear off eventually.

Last edited:
Well, Britain is third most obese country in the world (after U.S.A. and Mexico). But really, sending the stronger balance board is just a way of expanding that idea of 'everyone'. 60% of Americans are at least over weight and Nintendo have simply decided to modify the board so that it can be used by all. But I do hope they don't ship the normal board and the 'fat' board. It'll be just like 'super-size me' all over again.

Cpt.McCloud said:
Your not from manchester or England so don't you dare comment on The Devils?

He can say what he wants if it's inside the rules and if necessary he could easily back up his statement with facts.

I think I can be a fan if I watch it every week. It's my heritage, English and Irish.

Anyway, don't you think it's a compliment for your league if I choose to watch that instead of the MLS?? What else am I supposed to watch if I want quality soccer? The MLS sucks.

I think I have a right to comment on it if I actually know what's going on. I'm not protective of any league here, simply because sports are enjoyable for the whole world to watch.

This has gone way off topic, I just hate sterotypes, and it makes me really mad when people use them. The world needs to understand that we don't live at drive throughs. I actually hate fast food. I guess it's no big deal, it is a fact that America is more obease than other countries, but not everyone is like that.

Last edited:
Back