Wii & Panasonic plasma tv: black and white

Fields

WiiChat Member
Jan 29, 2015
Belgium
Hello. Just bought a Wii for my son. I'm not able to put it in colour, all we have now is black and white. My tv is a Panasonic TH42PV70 plasma from 2007. I tried several things: changed the input channels (Av1-Av2-Component-PC), put the red-white-yellow cable into different inputs, etc... The only channel where the Wii is visible but only in b&w, is the 'component' channel (there's no image at all when i put the cables in a special scart and then put the scart in the Av1 or Av2, strange).I also tried to add inputs in 'configuration' mode: one can add some input modes for the Panasonic, so i tried to put the 'games' input on several main channels (thus 'component' changes into 'component(games)' for example), but there's still only b&w and no image at all on the other channels. I also tried to change the settings of my Wii console, tried to select 'hdtv' but it's greyed out so i can only choose between 50 or 60Hz. Wii and tv are a few years old, but when they were manufactured, the world already had colour tv:) So i tried everything. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

As I live in the US, I may not be the best to help, but if you want to try it: (your results may vary)

The video cord you have described (yellow-white-red) are Composite cables. This one has 3 connectors. Video (yellow), Audio left and right (red and white). These (since I assume you're from Belgium) should be plugged in to a SCART adapter, which in turn, is plugged into an AV port on your television.
I know you have tried this, but make triple sure. Maybe wipe them with a napkin or static-free cloth before plugging.

- correct ports plugged into the SCART av in/out/rgb adapter (set to IN if given the option), which connects to the tv
- make sure all plugs are connected properly and secure
- be on the correct composite channel (AV1 or AV2)

OR/if it still doesn't work;

I would buy Component cables as you also have this option. These are relatively cheap, for 3rd party brands. (Amazon/tech store.)
Component are a different set of cords that achieve a better picture quality, but serves the same purpose as composite except you shouldn't need an adapter for this one.
The cords are color coded which shouldn't be hard to figure out.

I'd recommend this option. Newer tvs would still have this option in the future as RGB is starting to die out.
----------

If both of those solutions don't work, the wii itself or a cord (either the SCART or av) may be defective.

Also, you cannot select the "HDTV 480p" option in the menu without a component cable.

Back