Wii Virus

roryrc

roryrc
Dec 6, 2006
Yorkshire
Ermmm....

Well this topic has already been rasied once by `Dav 4550`, but it didn't get enought attention.
I have raised the issue again because of the relevance of it and how easy this topic is been overlooked.

The Wii in most peoples houses will be connected to the internet therefore anything can come through that connection unless you have a wireless firewall or filter, what i am trying to get at is the wii and PS3 will be at risk from virus no doubt about it....

So i ask Wii what you going to do about it?

or..

Is there even a threat and am i been paranoid?

The company that updates the least, and trusts too much will suffer from viruses later on. Metal Gear Solid 3 Online is a great example of a company completely unprepared for hacking. I would say 50%-75% of the users hack on there (Some argue even more). All Konami can do is threaten them. If unprepared, then this will leave any console and game open to hacking/viruses. Only time will tell who was ready for it.

Consoles don't run Windows. For the same reason Apples aren't affected, consoles aren't. Even so, you don't get viruses from simply being connected to the internet, unless you setup your network HORRIBLY or there is an exploit in a program you run.

Every wireless router should have it's own in-built Firewall that's highly configurable. You should use every bit of security available to you. At this stage I think a Wii virus is highly unlikely. I'll be playing ripped games LONG before there's a Wii virus............. they're already appearing on the newsgroups:ihih:

Even w/o a router w/ a firewall, the point is that the operating system on the Wii is not a Windows OS. Now, that in itself does NOT make it immune to viruses (virii?) but it does make it MUCH less likely. Someone would basically have to write a custom virus for the Wii.

Now hacking could be a different issue altogether. Not sure what you would do w/ a hacked Wii. First thing that comes to mind is to take control of the mail client and use it as a spam-bot.

Geckotek said:
Not sure what you would do w/ a hacked Wii. First thing that comes to mind is to take control of the mail client and use it as a spam-bot.

Theoretically, a virus can act as a trojan horse to steal credit card info when people buy game points using the console. I am not sure if Wii supports sharing games by copy them to/from SD cards (probably not), anyway, that could be another way to get infected.

It is a valid concern, but I agree it is much unlikely to see a Wii virus in the near term. For now, I would take time to enjoy my new toy and not to worry too much :)

bump.

how susceptible are we to spam? with most of us displaying our online code, it's rather easy for somebody to collect our wii email addresses and start spamming, no?

Evil Wario said:
bump.

how susceptible are we to spam? with most of us displaying our online code, it's rather easy for somebody to collect our wii email addresses and start spamming, no?

Wouldn't we have to add the spammers' e-mail address to receive anything from them? (unless, of course, there was a way around it)

Evil Wario said:
bump.

You can't recieve email from anyone not in your address book. Or apparently Nintendo.

tonyr1988 said:
Wouldn't we have to add the spammers' e-mail address to receive anything from them? (unless, of course, there was a way around it)

Damn. Your post wasn't there a second ago.

::mutter::

It hasn't happened to Xbox 360 yet has it? It's been online for over a year, and it's made by Microsoft.

I wouldn't worry about a Wii virus.

vagrant said:
I get the feeling you aren't talking about game hacks.

...I wouldn't worry about there being a "wii virus"

Viruses are usually targetted at large install bases. Wii will probably have a pretty large install base, and thus it is not far fetched to say there could be a Wii virus.

But what would it do? Delete saved games? Trojan your damn playing habits? Send you back to update #1?

What would be the most awesome Wii virus you could unleash ... (if you were a bad person, of course) ?

Back