Wii's Temperature - Hot!

guitarman said:
When it starts to get hot, just simply pop it in a refridgerator for around an hour and all should be fine :rolleyes:
I know you are joking but the constant heat is actually better for it than the heat cycle of placing it in the fridge. If you really did that you would get cracked solder joints in no time.

guitarman said:
When it starts to get hot, just simply pop it in a refridgerator for around an hour and all should be fine :rolleyes:

Very bad idea. Condensed water will cause short circuit when you take it out from fridge.

Or just leave it on the Wii Main Menu and don't turn it off... That's what I do.

The fan stays on, you stay connected, quicker access to everything (don't have to turn it on), still goes into a semi stand by after a few minutes.

The only good reason to be afraid of leaving a system or computer for that matter on is if the fan goes out it's toast (on a PC) , but since we know the Wii can be fan less for Months without overheating and dieing there's nothing to worry about.

It still runs at standby mode (yellow light on Wii), but off if shut down completely (red light on Wii). Basically it is how the USB port power running. There is a switch on the back to choose among light/fan+light/off. I usually leave it at fan+light for obvious reason. Got it for $10 at GameStop.

Last edited:
Happy said:
When I left it on for about 30 hours or so it was hot (connect24). I just unplug my Wii every time I've finished with it just to be safe :)
Why don't you just turn off WiiConnect24 in the settings menu?

Wade said:
Why don't you just turn off WiiConnect24 in the settings menu?
Exactly right. The Wii wastes enough power as it is with the Wiiconnect24 enabled so this extra fan and light is just more wasted power. Who uses forecast channel anyways?

well...im not saying this is a good thing but.. ive had my wii since launch fell on the floor once (sucked wigged out for a minute too) had wiiconnect 24 on since. internet everything on since launch everything on. once in awile i unplug every thing too let it cool down but i even sometimes leave it on for hours... nothing works great no problems at all but the only thing im worried about is that i have cats, and hair might get into the system so i want to but a screen for sure.

Just hold the power button on the Wii (not WiiMote) to shut it down (red light). No need to unplug it. The Connect24 would not run in off mode but standby mode (yellow light). It is more work to turn the Connect24 on/off.

Last edited:
billcsho said:
Just hold the power button on the Wii (not WiiMote) to shut it down (red light). No need to unplug it. The Connect24 would not run in off mode but standby mode (yellow light). It is more work to turn the Connect24 on/off.
I mean turning it off permanently. It serves no useful function. I prefer to power down the Wii using the Wiimote.

I actually use the weather channel on a daily base, nevertheless, it only takes a few more seconds to download the weather info with the Connect24 off. I'll get a meter to check for power consumption to see if it really consuming much power in standby mode.

billcsho said:
I actually use the weather channel on a daily base, nevertheless, it only takes a few more seconds to download the weather info with the Connect24 off. I'll get a meter to check for power consumption to see if it really consuming much power in standby mode.
But you have to have it on to use the weather channel. It takes too much time to turn it on each time...

paintba||er said:

But you have to have it on to use the weather channel. It takes too much time to turn it on each time...

I actually mean shutting down the Wii (so the Connect24 is not running) instead of keeping it on standby mode only delays the weather info update for a few seconds. I also think disabling Connect24 is too much trouble (see my earlier post above).

mine also does that it sort of worries me that it was like that for a week but sometimes i just unplug it to give it a break

Back