37" LCD HDTV Recommendations for Wii??

jskains

WiiChat Member
Jan 8, 2007
I bought a 37" Vizio from Costco. It was a lower end Vizio. Went to connect the Wii, and Zelda was horrific. I mean, everything shimmered unnaturally from the badly rendered jagged edges, the trees looked bad... When playing bowling, the pins at the very begining of your shot were nothing more than horrendous blobs. I was using Nintendo's component cables and it was set to 480p. So I took it back on the assumption the LCD's upscaling converters were just cheap. I tried a Sony 32", same problem. Was going to keep the Sony anyways, but it fried (bad power supply).

So now I am trying to find a TV that will allow the Wii to look decent. Yes I know it isn't about the graphics, and I am not looking to see Link's nose hairs... But it should at least be watchable in all it's 480p glory.

So can anyone suggest a good TV in the 37" range that would let the Wii be seen well? I am considering the Sharp LC-37D42U. It is their latest with 6ms response time and high contrast (6000:1).

Any feedback would be helpful before I drop $$$ down again.

Thanks,
JMS

there are a load of different brands to be recommended....

i havent heard of vizio, thats not to say they arent any good, so maybe you could try adjusting the sharpness of the picture, or contrast/brightness settings.

jskains said:
I bought a 37" Vizio from Costco. It was a lower end Vizio. Went to connect the Wii, and Zelda was horrific. I mean, everything shimmered unnaturally from the badly rendered jagged edges, the trees looked bad... When playing bowling, the pins at the very begining of your shot were nothing more than horrendous blobs. I was using Nintendo's component cables and it was set to 480p. So I took it back on the assumption the LCD's upscaling converters were just cheap. I tried a Sony 32", same problem. Was going to keep the Sony anyways, but it fried (bad power supply).

So now I am trying to find a TV that will allow the Wii to look decent. Yes I know it isn't about the graphics, and I am not looking to see Link's nose hairs... But it should at least be watchable in all it's 480p glory.

So can anyone suggest a good TV in the 37" range that would let the Wii be seen well? I am considering the Sharp LC-37D42U. It is their latest with 6ms response time and high contrast (6000:1).

Any feedback would be helpful before I drop $$$ down again.

Thanks,
JMS

Did you tell the Wii it was to output in 480p?

LCD/Plasmas are going to have that problem with jaggies whether you like it or not. Its capable of displaying much better detail so low resolutions without anti aliasing will look awful, as will standard definition television (its incredibly blurry). Any widescreen 480P has 408,960 pixels, 720P has 921,600 (with 1366x768 actual pixels being 1,049,088 total). Just about any cheap upscaler isn't going to improve detail much beyond what you'd expect from going from 640x480 to 1280x960, where each pixel is changed to exactly 4 pixels giving you a larger picture, yet with the EXACT same amount of information. A high end upscaler should be able to anti-alias on its own, to give you a much smoother, yet blurrier/smoothed image.

Don't expect great quality upscaling without some $$$

480i may just give you the look you want, as edges will be less defined. Of course, the entire picture quality itself will suffer.

I have a toshiba 37" lcd and the picture is perfect. I would suggest some settings to try but i plugged in my Wii and away i went, no adjustment required. :D

what's y our budget? hitachi's are good, have you thought about a plasma? there is no way to recomend anythign w/o a budget

Back