a question about mario strikers online

ninobomba

WiiChat Member
Jun 9, 2007
is the online game region based? so like i can only play against people in the US and Canada and not against people from Britain or is it world wide?

I'm in the U.S. but I happen to know the European version of Mario Strikers Charged is region based. So you can only play with people in your region, all the others are locked and not playable. Hope I helped

Wait thats not right. The random matches are region based but you will be able to add friends from any regions. I SWEAR I read this in the instruction manual....

thanks for the info. I hope they atleast have the option where you can add friends from around the world. I think i would enjoy a region base online since lag woudnt be much of a factor.

Ciper's on the Money. I'm in Australia, and have it. Get it! It's good! :)
Ranked/Random matches are region based, along with the leaderboard and online stats etc. However, if you add friend codes, they can be anywhere in the world.

My FC is in my signature (MSCF = Mario Strikers Charged Football), if you want to add me.

Heres an interesting question. Which will result in less laggy play:

I'm in US and my friend is in Europe. Would it be better to
1. use the correct region of the game and use a friend code to find each other
2. if both of us run the same region of the game and use the friend code to find each other

With option 1 the traffic between the Wii and Nintendo server will be local to your country and the connection between the two servers handled somehow in the backend

With option 2 your Wii is connected to the same server as his only with a longer path. No need to cross connect.

I assume gameplay is controlled by Nintendos servers in both scenarios. If the servers only act as a meeting place and matches take place directly between Wiis then either choice would be the same.

ciper said:
...If the servers only act as a meeting place and matches take place directly between Wiis then either choice would be the same.

I can't remember the source, but I think that's actually how it works. It's more of a P2P link rather than client/server.

The manual says that they dont recomend you add someone from a different region to you friends list as the lag may make the game unplayable.

Stateful packet inspection. The Wii breaks networking rules so it doesn't work with some firewall/routers.
Doesnt surprise me considering how Nintendo calls an internet connection WIFI (another pet peeve)

Back