About to buy a wii with broken disc drive

Jawnskeel

WiiChat Member
Aug 9, 2011
NJ
Should I do it? Would modding it still work?

It's a good price, and original accessories are included.

yeah u can still mod it but if u want to play burned dvd games or original dvd games u have to buy a disc drive to ur wii or just buy a new wii

Well, you can't really know until you see how and what's broken... If you know for a fact you can buy it and repair it for a MUCH cheaper cost than buying a brand-spankin' new one, or especially if it's a lot cheaper than buying another used Wii that's in much better working condition, you could consider it.

Otherwise, just don't. If you don't know in particular why the disc drive got broken, it could be because of something unrepairable, or something that kills the life-span of the entire Wii. Not to mention I doubt it's under warranty if it's used and broken, and if you mod it, you can kiss that warranty goodbye too.

So, to be quite frank, I wouldn't recommend it...

Well, you can't really know until you see how and what's broken... If you know for a fact you can buy it and repair it for a MUCH cheaper cost than buying a brand-spankin' new one, or especially if it's a lot cheaper than buying another used Wii that's in much better working condition, you could consider it.

Otherwise, just don't. If you don't know in particular why the disc drive got broken, it could be because of something unrepairable, or something that kills the life-span of the entire Wii. Not to mention I doubt it's under warranty if it's used and broken, and if you mod it, you can kiss that warranty goodbye too.

So, to be quite frank, I wouldn't recommend it...

tbh i dont know why people smack the good consoles they have, i bought my wii about 3 weeks ago and it still shinny and fully working, i hope it stills working great like this for at least 20 years xD, still dude u better buy a new wii console, i heard modded wii consoles with homebrew channnels and **** break more easier :/

i bought my wii about 3 weeks ago and it still shinny and fully working, i hope it stills working great like this for at least 20 years xD, still dude u better buy a new wii console, i heard modded wii consoles with homebrew channnels and **** break more easier :/

I'll take a guess you meant three years, 'cause... Yeah. If anything's broken after three weeks, you've clearly bought something broken, or a knock off. :lol:

Homebrew almost never ruins your Wii at all, actually. It's the physical mods when you start messing with programming and putting "things" into the Wii when you're seriously risking your Wii imploding. All mods still ruin your warranty though, so it's just not a good idea to mod at all. 'Specially if a Wii you've bought is already in poor shape/needing repairs.

I'll take a guess you meant three years, 'cause... Yeah. If anything's broken after three weeks, you've clearly bought something broken, or a knock off. :lol:

Homebrew almost never ruins your Wii at all, actually. It's the physical mods when you start messing with programming and putting "things" into the Wii when you're seriously risking your Wii imploding. All mods still ruin your warranty though, so it's just not a good idea to mod at all. 'Specially if a Wii you've bought is already in poor shape/needing repairs.

yeah but i bought the wii on a game store on netherlands and i have 2 years of warranty plus 90 days of nintendo warranty for registering on the club nintendo, so i guess i wont worry about if it brokes or not

It's been my experience that a "broken" disc drive usually means a bad laser. A new laser is only about $10 and the only other thing you would need is a tri wing screwdriver. You can get one for less than $5 at http://nintendoscrewdriver.com They ship for free too. So it is possible that for another $15 you could have a fully functioning Wii. Or you could have a big pile of crap. It's hard to say.

Back