Activision CEO is evil

Zoro11031

A Major PS2 Fanboy
Dec 21, 2007
Corpus Christi, Texas
Wii Online Code
1897-3266-4691-9037
"When he wasn't promoting the company's games or technology, Kotick was celebrating its laserlike focus on the bottom line. He pointed to changes he implemented in the past as being particularly beneficial, such as designing the employee incentive program so it "really rewards profit and nothing else."

"You have studio heads who five years ago didn't know the difference between a balance sheet and a bed sheet who are now arguing allocations in our CFO's office pretty regularly," Kotick said.

He later added, "We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games."

If that sounds like it would create a corporate culture that isn't all sunshine and hugs, then it's "mission accomplished" for Kotick. The executive said that he has tried to instill into the company culture "skepticism, pessimism, and fear" of the global economic downturn, adding, "We are very good at keeping people focused on the deep depression."

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6226758.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;1

I think it's fair enough to run Activison primarily as a business (that is, after all, what it is) but "taking the fun out of making video games?" I think it's important for any creative industry to have entertainment in mind foremost. This sort of 'motivation' is waht leads to bland and uninspired sequel-a-thons (IMO, such as what Guitar Hero has become.)

I agree developers need to be allowed to express some fun and creativity while making a game, but I think the case of Duke Nukem Whenever has shown us that they shouldn't be allowed to slack off too much.

I think it's fair enough to run Activison primarily as a business (that is, after all, what it is) but "taking the fun out of making video games?" I think it's important for any creative industry to have entertainment in mind foremost. This sort of 'motivation' is what leads to bland and uninspired sequel-a-thons (IMO, such as what Guitar Hero has become.)
if GH would just get good songs then we never would have had to go past 4.

and i remember reading something like this awhile ago but it had a different guy it was proclaiming to hate fun.

Back