Advice on Docking Stations and Rechargeable Batteries for the Wii

gonggirl

WiiChat Member
Dec 14, 2007
Hi,
I've just bought my kids a Wii package but I've looked around on some sites and I have heard that the Wii uses up some batteries, just wondering if anyone can give me some good advice whether the rechargeable batteries will be needed and also if docking station with the fan is needed, do the Wii's get very hot and if so is it better to get a fanned base so the Wii is looked after? Can anyone give me some brands of some decent docking stations and rechargeable batteries, I'm from Australia so not sure if I have access to all brands over here but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thx

Wow and at Christmas it gets Hot in Australia
No, you're Wii will be fine
As for batteries. Just buy a charger kit with some batteries and use them
I bought a kit with 4 batteries for my 2 Wiimotes. Just a standard kit from a local electronic store

Read about my awesome rechargeable battery solution.:yesnod:

After Shipping: 2 batteries cost $16 / 4 batteries cost $30

These batteries. Here is what makes this rechargeable battery solution 10 times better than CHARGING STATIONS:
  • Pros:
    • Cheapest!
    • Less bulk and clutter!
      • i.e. no charging station, disassembled Remotes or loose batteries.
    • Batteries will always be charged
      • no one has the chore of disassembling each Remote
      • no one has the chore of removing the Jackets so the Remotesfit into a Charging Station
    • Remote Jacket NEVER needs removed.
      • I cut a small hole on the Jacket for the charging cable to poke through.
    • NO AC ADAPTER... batteries get power from Wii's USB ports even when the Wii is in standby mode.
      • Have you read that 3rd party charging stations have ruined Remotes? It won't happen with USB-powered charging solutions because the there is no high powered AC adapter to contribute to over-voltage
  • Cons:
    • I have found no cons... REALLY!
nintendo-wii-battery-1719.jpg

Last edited:
Get the Nyko Charge Station.
It's the best Wii Remote charge station out there.
It holds your Wii Remotes while not in use, which is very nice.
Don't just get rechargeable batteries... you have to take them out of the remote to charge them.

i have rechargable batteries and i hate having the chore of changing them if there was a station i would just charge them when im done im thinking of getting the nyko station one but is there any other ones that are good?

If you have silicone sleeves or jackets on your Remote the charging stations will not work. The jacket does not allow the remote to fit against the charge station contacts.

That's why I recommend the solution above which will allow charging without removing the silicone jacket. Instead of dropping your Remote into a charger, you plug a cable into the back of the Remote. Also, It's much cheaper, especially if you have 4 remotes.

Last edited:
i just got my kids th wii with the charging station and i am unable toget it to keep the light green on it. please help. so i can get them to charge.

Maybe the batteries are charging although the lights are indicating as not... I bought a cheap docking station off ebay which lights up blue and pink, (pink hence charging) the bloody thing charges but sometimes the colour does'nt change. Just plug it and see if it does charge.

When I bought my Wii I also bought the I-Conn charger that had a base station that lit up blue and two batteries. After two days of use, the base station stopped working and they didn't have anymore in stock. I just ended up buying a bunch of NiMH batteries for my charger and that'll do for now.

idjut said:

• [*]Batteries will always be charged
    • no one has the chore of disassembling each Remote
    • no one has the chore of removing the Jackets so the Remotesfit into a Charging Station

How do you connect the USB connector with a jacket on? Doesn't the nintendo jacket cover the entire battery casing?

Personally, I had a docking station and it didn't work out to well.
Dollar Stores batteries lasted longer when I was playing.

What you should do is either buy Energizer batteries (which is what I do and they last quite long) or buy some rechargeable batteries. Skip the docking stations though.

Skorp said:
How do you connect the USB connector with a jacket on? Doesn't the nintendo jacket cover the entire battery casing?
silly... halfway down my bullet points:
  • Remote Jacket NEVER needs removed.
    • I cut a small hole on the Jacket for the charging cable to poke through.

Ahh ok hehe. I read halfway through then clicked the link, thought i'd read the second half, but apparently i didn't :)

Back