American Vehicles vs European Vehicles

smyth said:
nothing as exotic as a noble. haha. I had a 2003 WRX, with a decent amount of mods. Fun car, the best part about it was that it ran low 13s, was a blast to go autoxing with, same for rallyxing, and the thing was amazingly reliable. Loved that car. Then i had an 87 VW Golf with a GTI swap(sold before the other car got totalled though :(). Now i'm driving around a leased 2006 WRX, which is nice but i don't want to buy it out and i really don't want to have to bring it back to stock when the lease is up so i'm going to leave that alone. I have a 96 Subaru Impreza 2.2 L with a blown motor, i plan on doing either a version 7 sti swap or a USDM 2.5 STi Swap, not sure yet. But that project hasn't even really started and i'm not even sure if i feel like doing it at this point anyway. I may just get an old VW or Mercedes deisel or something and do an ethynol conversion instead.
... i really need to make up my mind :lol:

Sounds like some fun projects! A good buddy of mine had an '03 Z06 (my CCW's are from that car), then got an '06 (the C6 Z06), then sold that and put together a Evo he's been running in SCCA/SM class and doing incredibly well. (Hahaha, he wound up with an '08 Z06, but kept the Evo specifically for track duty).

You should post some pics in the car thread (which may have migrated onto the 2nd or 3rd page of post in here...)

That Noble project has been interesting - he got it for dirt cheap (had several issues) and has been putting together parts for a while. If I ever got to where I was running an event a month, I'd probably look into something dedicated for the track. Maybe an older Z3 or S2K (that would be easy to tow as well).

Yeah, leases really stink if you're planning on modifications (which I always am) - I had a Lexus GS I leased but that was very specifically to use for 3 years and return - still I wound up putting on L-tuned suspension and Racing Hart wheels - the wheels were easy to reverse, the suspension I just abandoned!

KTIGZ said:
any pics of your 2003 WRX?

i'm at work right now, i'll see if i can dig some up at home though. i had 1 on photo bucket though.
here it is
IMG_5267.jpg

it's attached. click it to enlarge it a bit

that was at englishtown actually. waiting my turn :)

smyth said:
You should be less than an hour to englishtown's track then. That's really not bad at all. the only thing i reccommend is going a couple times on a saturday with a buddy or something that's gone before. The reason i say saturday is because then you can get there pretty early and watch autox once that season starts then the drag begins and you'll be able to make a day or it so the drive won't seem bad at all. And i reccommend going with a friend that's raced there before and not racing yourself once or twice because it's kind of easy to get confused about what you're supposed to do when you're new to it, and when you don't go where you're supposed to go or do what you're supposed to sometimes workers and other drivers get pissed. And piss off an employee enough and you won't be racing at all anyway. It'll get you familiar with tech inspec, staging, where everything is, and just a general flow of how everything works. Also your first time racing, stay in the staging lane and don't wonder too far from your car, the worst thing in the world is when you forget your lane number or you don't hear them call it and you get back to your car only to realize that you missed your call and missed out on a run/pissed people off. Once you've been there a few times you get used to how everthing works though. Oh and since you're just getting your dl, get used to your car a lot before you even think about running at a track.

my last tip which has been said by a million people an uncountable amount of times, go on the last yellow light, don't wait for green :yesnod:

thanks for all the information, well i have gone there many times with my cousin, i watch him and others that come along with him to race,fun and great times, cousin has a 93 Honda Civic hatchback running high 11's and a 93 TT Supra running high 10's which belongs to a friend.I cant wait till its my turn to get in action, i've gotta used to my car (but not trackwise) since ive had my permit and been driving for about 6 months but still more practice and more mods are definetly required in me and my car.

smyth said:
i'm at work right now, i'll see if i can dig some up at home though. i had 1 on photo bucket though.
here it is
View attachment 3946

it's attached. click it to enlarge it a bit

that was at englishtown actually. waiting my turn :)

nice car, really digging the color, i just love how the yellow goes with the bright red stock lights, just a beautiful mix :)

KTIGZ said:
thanks for all the information, well i have gone there many times with my cousin, i watch him and others that come along with him to race,fun and great times, cousin has a 93 Honda Civic hatchback running high 11's and a 93 TT Supra running high 10's which belongs to a friend.I cant wait till its my turn to get in action, i've gotta used to my car (but not trackwise) since ive had my permit and been driving for about 6 months but still more practice and more mods are definetly required in me and my car.

what will you be wreaking havoc with?:lol:

p.s.- leaving work now. catch you guys later or tomorrow.

f1 all the way... and british touring cars, i used to go to a lot of the races back a few years ago.

well right at this point i own a 1991 HONDA CIVIC SEDAN, with a 16value pretty decent car, its really light but soon i will be driving my fathers 1990 Toyota Supra single turbo, a couple mods here and there but not that much, he tells me its mine as soon as i get rid of my car but i cant :( i just got that car a couple months ago, i cant let it go its my first car i love it, but im missing out, since he said he will sell it if i dont take it soon, but he has his eye on a Suburu Impreza coupe i forgot what year , but anyway if he sells it and gets the Suburu i wont miss out on much or am i wronge?

KTIGZ said:
well right at this point i own a 1991 HONDA CIVIC SEDAN, with a 16value pretty decent car, its really light but soon i will be driving my fathers 1990 Toyota Supra single turbo

I don't see [Supra] Mark III's very much anymore. Every once in a while and it's usually a wreck. I did see on in Orlando at Universal that looked almost showroom new (and looked very stock).

The Mark IV's in clean and unabsued have pretty much dried up too. I had a '94 TT with I guess you could say +extensive+ modifications. Fun car, even tracked it a few times. The chassis was like a wet noodle vs. the C5. :D

i didn't think that supra's had that much torque to cause wheel spin around a corner and understeer.

Gaz said:
i didn't think that supra's had that much torque to cause wheel spin around a corner and understeer.

Stock the power is pretty linear (especially for a 3.0L TT setup) - the turbos are setup sequential. Also stock - like most street cars - it's dialed in to push/understeer.

I had mine running TIEN HA's, TRD sways, pillowball mounts, poly-U bushings and an aggressive alignment. It was neutral with a very slight bit of understeer still in place.

Also I had a big single turbo conversion - so it was a snorefest until ~5K, then all hell broke loose!

So I'd come of out of apex with decent speed, 3-4K, just at the boost threshhold and when you rolled into it, you suddenly had about 550lb/ft of torque on deck. Hahaha, lots of fun, throttle induced oversteer at Roebling!

Drive an older 930 sometime - big lag, oversteer, tailhappy, it's an E-ticket ride every lap :D

Damnit DT, you're making me jealous again.

I haven't fired up the 'stang in a couple months now(due to free-time restraints), and I'm having withdrawals.

I'm gone for 2-3 days and this breaks out, wtf mate?

blueovalboy7 said:
I'm gone for 2-3 days and this breaks out, wtf mate?

Hahaha, yeah, this thread started out with a - *ahem* - less than postive vibe, but quickly turned into a really good one!

You can always tell the REAL car guys, because were all talking setups, driving, racing, etc., without getting into something as trivial as the manufacturer.

Did you see my 24 Hour pics? Some of them turned out pretty tasty.

I saw the pics from the Cars thread, they were pretty sweet. Did you post any in this thread? I didn't see them if you did.

I really would like to change up my front suspension in "The Stang" to something like this, but I can't afford it right now.
cf-ifs.jpg

And something similar to this out back.
cf-bi-ifs.jpg

I read through this thread and yea at the beginning it was "interesting" to say the least, I really liked it when the OP tried to call you out on not knowing what you were talking about, that made me laugh.

blueovalboy7 said:
I saw the pics from the Cars thread, they were pretty sweet. Did you post any in this thread? I didn't see them if you did.

I really would like to change up my front suspension in "The Stang" to something like this, but I can't afford it right now.

And something similar to this out back.

Nice, I like some suspension pr0N :D I was looking at this guys install the other day of some PFADT gear, and it's a *shame* it gets hidden underneath the car.

I shot this the other day - wasn't specifically shooting the car, but snapped this, felt like it would work good in B&W - I think I'm gonna shoot another, same angle, cleaner wheels, and a better backdrop (though the crack and phone pole kind of works!)

7250b4ed.jpg

Back